• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Strategic Considerations and Responses to the Current Crisis for Decision Makers
The Asian Banker, January 2009, Pages: 64
This report contains the key findings from the Banking Crisis Strategic Review Retreat held in Singapore on 4-5 December 2008. The special retreat was organised by The Banking Academy for senior decision makers to review the banking crisis and seek clarity on potential strategies moving forward in 2009 and beyond.
We have put together the key considerations and the supporting facts that decision makers should be concerned with in their strategic planning needs. Key areas include:
- How the nature of competition is changing in the current crisis.
- How to think about mark to market and about meeting regulatory requirements.
- The M&A scene going forward.
- Putting in place the right risk management framework.
Participants included senior management, advisors and heads of business and operational lines from various regional and international institutions such as the FDIC, Bank of Spain, Bank of America, Standard Chartered, United Overseas Bank, Muslim Commercial Bank, Bank Rakyat Indonesia, Korea Exchange Bank, Andhra Bank, Metrobank, McKinsey, KPMG, Sun Microsystems, Waylion, the Council on Foreign Relations and The Asian Banker.
The leading global players who presented their perspectives on their respective areas of expertise, include Dr Thierry Apoteker, managing director, TAC & former chief economist, Banque Indosuez, Mr John Bovenzi, chief operating officer, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Mr Vernon Hill, co-chairman, Bankstocks.com & former CEO, Commerce Bancorp, Mr Jose-Maria Roldan, director-general of banking regulation, Bank of Spain, Dr Brad Setser, fellow, Council on Foreign Relations & former director, US Treasury and Mr Simon Topping, principal, KPMG & former executive director, banking policy, HKMA. They contributed greatly to the dialogue as will be seen in this report.
- Global macroeconomic outlook
- Asia Pacific banking systems outlook
- The impact of deposit insurance on competition
- Managing regulatory and mark to market issues
- The role of risk management and what to look out for in the current crisis
- Competitive trends and M&A opportunities
- Winning the Deposits War
- Issues for consideration in budget planning for 2009