- Language: English
- 33 Pages
- Published: November 2010
- Region: World
Worldwide Digital Satellite Set Top Box Market
- Published: August 2009
- Region: World
- 41 Pages
This report is part of the author’s continuous coverage of the set top box markets. The digital satellite set top box market is the first and largest of the digital set top box markets. Many of the boxes shipping today are more than simple satellite receivers. They have HD decoders, hard drives for digital video recording, and IP connections to access additional content via an IP network.
There are a large number of satellite set top box vendors, some of whom focus on providing boxes to the satellite pay-TV providers while others serve the free-to-air market. Market shares are provided for the top five vendors.
In addition to five-year forecasts for worldwide box unit shipments, ASPs and revenues segmented by region, this report also contains forecasts for SD boxes with hard drives, HD boxes with hard drives, and HD boxes without hard drives. As part of the author’s discussion of satellite set top box technology, five-year bill-of-materials forecasts are provided for basic, HD, and DVR boxes along with a semiconductor total available market (TAM) forecast.
-- Digital Video Broadcasting Project
-- Common Interface
-- Retail vs. Lease
- Pay-TV Segment
-- Eastern Europe
-- Western Europe
-- Latin America
-- North America
-- Free-to-Air Segment
- Interactive Software
-- Open TV
- Digital Video Recording
-- DVR Software
- High Definition
- Other Features
- Silicon Vendors
List of Tables
Table 1. 2008 Worldwide Satellite Set Top Box Unit Shipments by Vendor
Table 2. Worldwide Satellite Set Top Boxes by Region 2006–2013 (Unit Shipments in Thousands)
Table 3. Worldwide Satellite Set Top Box ASPs by Region 2006–2013 (US$).
Table 4. Worldwide Satellite Set Top Box Revenue by Region 2006–2013 (US$ in Millions)
Table 5. Worldwide HD Satellite Set Top Boxes With Hard Drives by Region 2006–2013 (Unit Shipments in Thousands)
Table 6. Worldwide SD Satellite Set Top Boxes With Hard Drives by Region 2006–2013 (Unit Shipments in Thousands)
Table 7. Worldwide HD Satellite Set Top Boxes Without Hard Drives by Region 2006–2013 (Unit Shipments in Thousands)
Table 8. Worldwide Networked Satellite Set Top Boxes by Region 2006–2013 (Unit Shipments in Thousands)
Table 9. Basic SD MPEG-2 FTA Digital Satellite Set Top Box Bill-of-Materials 2007–2013
Table 10. Advanced Digital Satellite Set Top Box Bill-of-Materials 2007–2013
Table 11. Semiconductor Total Available Market (TAM) for Satellite Set Top Boxes 2007–2013
List of Figures
Figure 1. Worldwide Digital Satellite Set Top Box Market
Figure 2. Digital Satellite Set Top Box Block Diagram
Asia/Pacific Region Lifts Sagging Satellite Set Top Box Market
Thanks to remarkable shipment growth in Asia/Pacific and particularly India, the worldwide satellite set top box (STB) market chalked up growth in 2008, reports report. However, outside of Asia/Pacific and Latin America, regional markets remain sluggish or even negative. Another important trend is the rise of High Definition (HD) Digital Video Recorders (DVRs).
“In-Stat expects HD DVRs to overtake shipments of Standard Definition (SD) DVR boxes in 2009, with some providers no longer offering SD DVR boxes,” says Michelle Abraham, In-Stat analyst. “More providers will stop offering them in the future, with some going so far as to eliminate all SD boxes from their product lineup in a few years.”
Recent research found the following:
- The worldwide satellite set top box market grew by 6% in 2008, bolstered by triple-digit growth in the Asia/Pacific region.
- Thomson was the largest provider of satellite set top boxes in 2008. Other STB providers include Coship, EchoStar, Homecast, Humax, KAONMedia, Pace, Samsung, TechniSat, and Altech UEC.
- The semiconductor Bill of Materials (BOM) for Satellite STBs ranges dramatically from under $25 to well over $100 depending on advanced features, hard drive size and the number of supported video streams. Key semiconductor suppliers include ALi, Broadcom, NEC, NXP, STMicroelectronics and Zoran.
- Network connections are becoming increasingly important to support whole-home DVR services, over the top video (OTTV) to the TV, place-shifting, and remote DVR scheduling.
Recent research, Worldwide Digital Satellite Set Top Box Market, covers the worldwide market for digital satellite set top boxes. It includes:
- Unit and revenue forecasts of satellite set top boxes by region and by type through 2013.
- Bill of materials and total available market forecasts through 2013.
- Regional market overviews.
- Box vendor profiles of Coship, EchoStar, Homecast, Humax, KAONMedia, Pace, Samsung, Thomson, UEC, and others.
- Silicon vendor profiles of ALi, Broadcom, NEC, NXP, STMicroelectronics, Zoran, and others.
|Electronic (PDF)||The report will be emailed to you. The report is sent in PDF format.||This is a single user license, allowing one specific user access to the product.|