- Language: English
- 97 Pages
- Published: May 2012
- Region: Nigeria
Privatisation of Nitel
- Published: October 2009
- Region: Kenya, Nigeria
- 34 Pages
- Onda Analytics Limited
The Nigerian government is currently in the process of privatising Nigerian incumbent telecoms operator, NITEL. The company has been suffering from underinvestment in the past and has not been able to take advantage of the assets owned by the company. Meanwhile, a number of major telecoms operators have established themselves in the Nigerian market, leading to a competitive market in which NITEL has been marginalised.
This report looks at the prospect for investment in NITEL’s assets, focussing on its mobile assets and backbone network. The report analyses the background to the opportunity, including: the socioeconomic characteristics of Nigeria; the state of the fixed and mobile telecoms markets in Nigeria; NITEL’s current position in the Nigerian telecoms market. Further, the report assesses NITEL’s key assets and identifies strategies to best take advantage of them. Based on this analysis, the report forecasts the likely future development of both the Nigerian mobile market and NITEL’s place within it.
Key questions answered
- What is the current state of NITEL and what is its history?
- What revenue opportunities exist for NITEL in the short and medium term?
- Which of NITEL’s assets are of most value?
- What is the current state of the Nigerian telecoms market and who are the main players?
- How will the Nigerian mobile market develop over the next five years?
- What proportion of the mobile market can NITEL’s new owners expect to claim up to 2015?
- What lessons can be learned from the privatisation of other African telecoms operators?
- Socio-economic indicators for Nigeria (population, age distribution, GDP per capita)
- Historical fixed and mobile subscribers and penetration in Nigeria, 2005 - 2008
- Forecast mobile subscribers and penetration in Nigeria, 2009 - 2015
- Forecast mobile ARPU in Nigeria, 2009 - 2015
- Forecast total mobile revenue in Nigeria, 2009 - 2015
- Forecast subscribers, ARPU and revenue for NITEL, 2009-2015 SHOW LESS READ MORE >
- The size of the Nitel investment opportunity
- Critical factors required for a successful investment in Nitel
- Short term opportunities
- Outline of opportunity
- Demographic detail: population, economy
- Timeline of Nitel
- Nigerian telecom operator overview
- Telecoms market background: fixed, GSM and CDMA
- Nitel’s fixed transit infrastructure: national backbone, SAT-3
- Regulatory environment
Market and opportunity analysis
- Nitel’s assets
- Nigerian fixed market
- Prospects for SAT-3 investors
- Nigeria mobile market analysis, penetration analysis
- Nigerian mobile subscriber forecasts 2009-15
- New M-TEL owner subscriber forecast 2009-15
- Nigerian mobile ARPU forecasts 2009-15
- New M-TEL owner mobile ARPU forecast 2009-15
- Mobile revenue forecasts 2009-15
- Case study: Lessons from Privatisation of Kenya Telecom to France Telecom
- National backbone analysis
- Evaluation of the value of Nitel’s assets
- Recommendations for potential investors
- MTN Nigeria
- Zain Nigeria
- Etisalat Nigeria
- France Telecom