• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
2009 Pharmaceutical M&A Overview
Datamonitor, December 2009, Pages: 72
After a slump in M&A activity following the global economic downturn and with the looming threat of the 2011 "patent cliff", Pharma companies are looking to expand geographically and enhance their pipelines in order to offset future losses. Two high growth areas which have been an intrinsic focus of recent M&A activity are biologic therapies and the rapidly-growing emerging markets.
- Provides an overview of recent trends within the M&A landscape in terms of type of acquisition and targeted healthcare sectors
- Evaluate recent mega mergers: Pfizer-Wyeth, Roche-Genentech, Merck-Schering, and Abbott-Solvay
- Analysis of Pharma's M&A targets based on therapeutic areas
- Analysis of Pharma's geographic expansion and interest in the emerging markets
Highlights of this title
Overall there was a rise in deal activity throughout 2008 up until the end of Q3. However, Pharma's M&A activity was subsequently impacted by the global economic downturn, with the number of deals having declined between Q3 2008 and Q2 2009 for the top 150 pharmaceutical companies. However, now deal making activity is on the rise once again.
Sectors offering high growth and high returns are the preferred targets for pharma. The high value commanded by biologic drugs targeting areas of high unmet need can offer significant benefit for pharma players, as these products are currently largely insulated against brand erosion post patent expiry, thereby ensuring long term growth.
In the past, deals targeting the emerging markets have usually been the least popular due to a risky operating environment, but the opportunities for growth coupled with improving healthcare systems, has resulted in more companies targeting the emerging markets, and these deals now form a significant proportion of Big Pharma's M&A activity.
Key reasons to purchase this title
- Identify which are the most perused therapeutic areas in terms of M&A deals, and which companies have been the most acquisitive during 200809.
- Gain insight into which geographic markets have been most frequently targeted through M&As, and the different M&A strategies companies have used.
- Overview of Big Pharma's mega-mergers and how these will impact a company's financials, growth prospects and pharmaceutical focus going forward.
1. Executive Summary
Strategic scoping and focus
2. Overview of M&A activity by target company healthcare sector focus
Prescription drugs are the primary target for M&As
Successful diversification can result in boosting operating margins
3. 2009 Mega-merger analysis
The return of the mega-mergers
4. M&A activity by target company’s geographic focus
M&A activity by geography
Geographical deals by sector type
Big Pharma geographical expansion in the emerging markets
5. M&A activity by target company’s therapeutic focus
Analysis of pharmaceutical product driven M&A deals
Publications and online articles