- Language: English
- 284 Pages
- Published: July 2011
- Region: Global
The Teaching Professor
- Published: March 2014
- Region: Global
The Teaching Professor is the lively, informative newsletter with a singular purpose: to provide ideas and insight to educators who are passionate about teaching.
The Teaching Professor is a monthly newsletter that is a forum for discussion of the best strategies supported by the latest research for effective teaching in the college classroom.
A must read for:
- Teaching professors
- Academic deans
- New faculty
- Faculty development staff
- Department chairs
With each issue, The Teaching Professor delivers thought-provoking and inspirational articles on a wealth of critical topics. Brief and to the point, it covers such subjects as:
- Student-centered learning
- Mentoring new and adjunct faculty
- Overcoming student apathy
- Energizing and re-inspiring experienced faculty
- Integrating new technology
- Responding to course evaluations and feedback
- And more!
The Teaching Professor helps you:
- Overcome obstacles to effective teaching
- Stay abreast of the latest pedagogical research
- Hear what’s working for colleagues “in the trenches”
- Hone your skills and stay on top of teaching innovations
- Truly connect with your students
Recently in The Teaching Professor …
Already this year, we’ve tackled some fascinating subjects. Here’s just a small sampling of articles from recent issues:
- Large Classes: Approaches Taken in One Discipline
- The Virtues of Restraint in Education, or Why I Refuse Student E-mails
- A Brain-Friendly Environment for Learning
- More Discussion, Less Lecture
- Mistaken Assumptions That Mislead Beginning Teachers
- Making Cell Phones in Class a Community Builder
This newsletter is published ten times a year.
The online version comes with the following benefits:
- Free access to our full archive of back issues!
- Convenient search capabilities!
- Easy login to your subscription wherever you have a Web connection!
- One extra issue! SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Maryellen Weimer has edited The Teaching Professor since 1987. She is a Penn State Professor Emeritus of Teaching and Learning. Prior to her retirement Dr. Weimer taught a variety of communication courses, first year seminars and in learning communities. In 2005 she won Penn State's Milton S. Eisenhower award for distinguished teaching. Dr. Weimer has consulted with over 400 colleges and universities on instructional issues. She regularly keynotes national meetings and regional conferences. In addition to editorship of the newsletter, Dr. Weimer has authored and edited eight books; most recently Learner-Centered Teaching and Enhancing Scholarly Work on Teaching and Learning.