• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
World Motive Lead Acid Battery Market
Frost & Sullivan, April 2010, Pages: 78
This study discusses the market drivers, restraints, market and technology trends, revenue and units shipment forecast and market share analysis of the motive lead acid battery market. This is a global study that discusses the trends and revenues of different geographic regions such as North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Rest-of-World. Demand analysis of each of these regions are discussed. Added to these information, other factors such as revenue contribution by construction type (flooded type and sealed, VRLA type) and revenue contribution through distribution channel analysis (OEM and aftermarket) is analysed and explained in this study. Motive lead acid battery is one that employs lead acid chemistry for deep cycle applications such as mining, heavy-duty equipment, automated guided vehicles and the like. Lead acid battery is the most reliable chemistry for the currently used motive applications. These batteries used for motive applications are more bulky, rugged in construction, and larger in terms of footprint compared with the batteries of same chemistry used in stationary and automotive application. Besides, these batteries differ from their counterparts in construction too. These batteries used for motive application have thicker plates of electrodes for efficient charge discharge cycles and these thick electrodes make it efficient and suitable for deep cycle applications. The key feature that makes these batteries unique the electrodes, that are solid in construction, while the electrodes of lead acid batteries used in other applications are spongy. These batteries are rechargeable, with charging time of approximately 6 to 8 hours, during which the battery is fully charged for the deep cycle application. This world motive lead acid battery market generated more than $2 billion during 2009, and is likely to grow at a steady growth rate.
This Frost & Sullivan research service titled World Motive Lead Acid Battery Market provides overall market growth, revenue analysis, market share analysis, competitive structure, industry challenges, market drivers and restraints, and pricing trends. In this research, Frost & Sullivan's expert analysts thoroughly examine the following technologies: flooded (wet) cell construction and sealed (VRLA) cell construction.
This analysis is available through our Power Supplies Growth Partnership Services program. With continuous access to intelligence and resources from all seven perspectives of the Complex Business Universe, the Growth Partnership Services program ensures that you and your Growth Team™ are able to maintain a 360 Degree Perspective of the market. This comprehensive, objective information allows your company to mitigate risk, identify new opportunities, and drive effective strategies for growth. For more information on this custom subscription service, please click here
World Motive Lead Acid Battery Market Expands Base by Powering NEVs
Reliability and efficiency are the key factors driving growth in the world motive lead acid battery market. Being rugged in construction, these batteries have the capability to withstand extreme temperatures and can perform well even with exposure to atmospheric conditions. Apart from these features, affordable pricing is another reason for wide utilization of this chemistry in motive applications despite other chemistries prevailing in this market. The market is well established and technologically mature, expanding its end-user application by utilization in fast growing neighborhood electric vehicles (NEVs). Most of the developed and a few developing countries are promoting usage of electric vehicles (EVs) through policies and regulations. "Demand for electric vehicles largely promotes the demand for lithium-ion batteries in developed countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom," notes the analyst of this research service. "With high unit pricing and reduced lead costs, profit margins of vendors have increased leading to revenue growth in this market." Small city electric vehicles (SCEVs) and golf carts, which are powered by lead acid batteries, are poised for high adoption and will uplift market prospects. The proliferation of industrial activities has revved up the demand for material handling equipment, in turn, promoting the battery market. As valve-regulated lead-acid battery (VRLA) batteries require very low maintenance, they are highly suitable for applications in remote locations. Demand from the mining industry has provided positive momentum for the market.
Although market prospects look upbeat, there are some challenges restraining market progression. The economic slowdown had dampened the demand for motive lead acid batteries. Industrial and mining activities had experienced a severe downturn. Reduced demand for these motive applications and other applications resulted in a declining trend in the lead metal prices by the end of 2008. However, the signs of recovery began from the Asia Pacific region with slow increase in industrial and mining activities in Australia, and China. Lead acid batteries used in motive applications face competition from other chemistries that include nickle cadium, lithium-ion and others. Lithium-ion batteries compete with lead acid batteries in the EV battery market. Cost being the only favorable factor for lead acid chemistry, it faces the threat of partial replacement by lithium-ion chemistry in city electric vehicles (CEVs), NEVs, and high performance electric vehicles (HPEVs).
In addition, the low levels of technology advancement in lead acid batteries compared to other chemistries are restraining the pace of market growth. "Technical advancement has been slow in these batteries since they were invented about 130 years ago," says the analyst. "Additionally, the lead acid batteries offered by various major participants at present do not vary significantly in terms of functionality." Hence, the customer base is largely dependent on brand loyalty and service offered by the major participants. In a highly competitive and mature market, this low product differentiation affects revenue growth owing to low profit margins. Advancements in electrode material have led to optimized efficiency, energy density, and performance, opening up new avenues for motive applications. Lead acid battery chemistry is the oldest that has been in existence for more than a century. There are specific applications, which cannot be powered by any other chemistry; hence, demand in this market is likely to remain steady.
Expert Frost & Sullivan analysts thoroughly examine the following market sectors in this research:
By Equipment Type:
- Heavy-duty equipment
- Mining equipment
- Railroad equipment
- Golf carts
- Recreational vehicles
- Electric vehicles
By Construction Type:
- Flooded (wet) cell construction
- Sealed (VRLA) cell construction
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Market Engineering Measurements (World), 2009
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Impact of Top Three Industry Challenges (World), 2010-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Market Drivers Ranked in Order of Impact (World), 2010-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Market Restraints Ranked in Order of Impact (World), 2010-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Unit Shipment Forecasts (World), 2006-2016 Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts by OEM Distribution Channel Type (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts for Aftermarket Distribution Channel Type (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts by Flooded Construction Type (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market Revenue Forecasts for Sealed Type Acid Batteries(World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market Revenue Forecasts (North America) 2006-2016 Motive Lead Acid Battery Market Revenue Forecasts (Europe), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts (Asia Pacific), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts (Latin America), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts (Rest-of-World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Competitive Structure (World), 2009
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Market Share Analysis (World), 2009
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts for Heavy-duty Equipment Application Segment (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts for Mining Equipment Application Segment (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market Revenue Forecasts for Railroad Application Segment (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts for Golf-cart Application Segment (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts for Recreational Vehicles Application Segment (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts for Electric Vehicle Application Segment (World), 2006-2016
- Motive Lead Acid Battery Market: Revenue Forecasts for Other Application Segment (World), 2006-2016
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.