- Language: Chinese
- 81 Pages
- Published: July 2010
- Region: China
China Chlor-alkali Industry Report, 2009-2010
- Published: July 2010
- Region: China
- 81 Pages
- Research In China
The chlor-alkali industry is engaged in the production of chemical products with NaOH, Cl2 and H2 that are made from electrolytic salt solution. Being a basic chemical industry, it’s closely related to many industries, and holds a significant position in national economy.
The world’s chlor-alkali industry has developed rapidly in recent years, and increasing overcapacity has shown up. What’s worse, the worldwide economy downturn has even added the fuel to fire. As the world’s big chlor-alkali producer and consumer, China has witnessed a relatively serious overcapacity due to its long-term unreasonable product structure restricted by factors such as technology.
The caustic soda output capacity in China was 27.93 million tons in 2009, accounting for 34% of the world’s total; and the PVC capacity was 17.81 million tons, accounting for 36%. The operating rate of China’s chlor-alkali industry was at a seriously low level in 2009. The annual operating rate of caustic soda was 67.7%, down 7.2 percentage points and 9.3 percentage points respectively compared to 2008 and 2007; PVC’s was only 51.4%, decreasing 4.4 percentage points and 12.5 percentage points respectively compared to 2008 and 2007.
The report has made an in-depth analysis of China’s chlor-alkali industry international market environment, development, characteristics, development bottleneck, as well as the development, supply and demand, price trend, import & export and trend of two main products, caustic soda and PVC, plus the development, supply and demand of the other products, and operation and competition advantages of China’s key chlor-alkali companies.
Chlor-alkali is an industry with intensive investment and technology, heavy reliance on resources and high energy consumption. Now, with their own advantages, China’s key chlor-alkali companies have increasingly integrated resources such as coal, calcium carbide, crude salt and electricity, and extended towards downstream industries, and chlor-alkali industry chain integration like electricity-alkali, salt-alkali and calcium carbide-PVC in China is under the way.
Shanghai Chlor-alkali Chemical Co., Ltd., with outstanding economies of scale, is a leader in the chlor-alkali industry. It has been committed to the production and sales of deep-processed chlorine products while striving for resources such as electricity, calcium carbide and crude salt.
Apart from being used in the production of high-value-added new materials and fine chemicals, its liquid chlorine and hydrochloric acid are also supplied to the isocyanate (mainly MDI) production projects of companies such as Bayer.
Impacted by both worldwide economy depression and domestic chlor-alkali industry overcapacity, the company’s operating income was RMB4.91 billion in 2009, down 13.4% year-on-year, with RMB390 million losses in net profit. Compared to 2008, the operating income of PVC, caustic soda and chloride products, its three main products, was respectively down 28.6%, 28.5% and 5.6%. Only PVC saw an increase of 5.9 percentage points in the operating margin, while caustic soda and chloride products witnessed decreases of 21 percentage points and 5.8 percentage points respectively. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1. Relevant Concepts of Chlor-alkali Industry
1.2 Process and Technology
2. Development of Global Chlor-alkali Industry
2.1 Status Quo
2.1.1 Caustic Soda
2.1.2 Polyvinyl Chloride
2.1.3 Other Chlor-alkali Products
2.3 Development Trend
3. Development of China Chlor-alkali Industry
3.1 Status Quo
3.2 Characteristics of China Chlor-Alkali Industry
3.2.1 Imbalance between Chlorine and Alkali
3.2.2 Close Relationship with National Economic Development
3.2.3 Obvious Seasonal Features
3.2.4 Conspicuous Regional Features
3.3 Development Bottleneck and Trend
4. Development of China Caustic Soda Industry
4.1 Status Quo
4.2 Supply and Demand
4.2.1 Quantity Variation
4.2.2 Regional Distribution
4.3 Competition Pattern
4.4 Price Trend
4.5 Import and Export
4.6 Influence of Downstream Industries
5. Development of China PVC Industry
5.1 Status Quo
5.2 Supply and Demand
5.2.2 Regional Distribution
5.3 Competition Pattern
5.4 Price Trend
5.5 Import and Export
5.6 Influence of Downstream Industries
6. Development of Other Chlor-alkali Products
6.2 Hydrochloric acid (31% HCI)
6.4 Other Chloride Products
6.4.1Isocyanate Series (MDI/TDI)
6.4.2 Chloroacetic Acid
6.4.3 Epoxypropane (PO) and Epichlorohydrin (ECH)
6.4.4 Chlorobenzene and Nitrochlorobenzene
6.4.5 Chlorinated Polymer
7. Upstream Influence on China Chlor-alkali Industry
7.1 Crude Salt Industry
7.2 Calcium Carbide Industry
7.3 Electric Power Industry
8. Key Companies
8.1 Shanghai Chlor-Alkali Chemical Co., Ltd.
8.1.3 Prospect and Advantage
8.2 Xinjiang Tianye
8.3 Ningxia Yinglite Chemical Co., Ltd.
8.3.2 Operation and Advantages
8.4 Sichuan Jinlu Group., Ltd.
8.5 Yunnan Salt & Salt Chemical Co., Ltd.
8.6 Yibin Tianyuan Group Co., Ltd.
8.7 Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co., Ltd.
8.7.2 Operation and Advantages
8.8 Tianjin Dagu Chemical Co., Ltd.
8.8.2 Operation and Advantages
8.9 Dow Chemical
8.9.2 Development in China
8.9.4 Development Trend of Chlor-alkali Products
8.10.2 Development in China
8.10.4 Development Trend of Bayer Chlor-alkali Products
List of Charts:
- Chlor-alkali Industry Chain
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Diaphragm and Ion-Exchange Membrane Caustic Soda Technologies
- Global Caustic Soda Capacity, Output, Import and Export by Region, 2008
- Global Caustic Soda Capacity Structure by Region, 2008
- Global Caustic Soda Consumption Structure by Region, 1999, 2004 and 2008
- Global PVC Capacity, Output and Consumption, 2001-2009
- PVC Capacity and Demand of the United States, 2007-2009
- PVC Capacity and Demand of Japan, 2007-2009
- PVC Capacity and Demand of South Korea, 2007-2009
- Global PVC Capacity Distribution by Region, 2006 and 2009
- Global Chlorine Consumption Structure, 2008
- Chlorine Consumption Structure in China, 2004 and 2008
- Capacity of Main Chloride Products in China, 2004 and 2009
- Operating Rates of Caustic Soda Facilities in China, Mid-May, 2009
- Output of China Caustic Soda & Ion-Exchange Membrane Caustic Soda and Share of Ion-Exchange Membrane Caustic Soda, 2004-May, 2010
- China Caustic Soda Capacity, Output and Apparent Consumption, 2006-2009
- China Caustic Soda Capacity Distribution by Region, 2008
- China Caustic Soda Industry Concentration by Capacity, 2008
- Capacity and Shares of Top10 Caustic Soda Manufacturers in China, 2008
- Price Trend of China Caustic Soda, 2006-May, 2010
- Import and Export Volume of China Caustic Soda, 2001-2009
- Downstream Consumption Structure of China Caustic Soda, 2008
- China Paper Pulp, Chemical Fiber and Aluminum Oxide Output, 2007-May 2010
- China PVC Capacity, Output and Apparent Consumption, 2005-2009
- China PVC Capacity Distribution by Region, 2008
- New PVC (including PVC paste) Capacity of China by Region, 2010-2012
- China PVC Industry Concentration, 2004-2009
- Capacity and Shares of Top 10 PVC Manufacturers in China, 2008
- New PVC Capacity of China, 2009
- PVC Price Trend in China Yangtze River Delta, 2004-May, 2010
- Import and Export Volume of China PVC, 2005-May, 2010
- Import and Export Value of China PVC, 2005-May, 2010
- China PVC Downstream Consumption Structure, 2009
- Average Import and Export Price of China PVC, 2005-May, 2010
- China Plastic Product Output by Type, 2006-May, 2010
- New Building Area and Growth Rate of China Real Estate, 2000-May, 2010
- Market Price of Liquid Chlorine in China, 2005-Jun., 2010
- China Hydrochloric Acid(31% HCI) Output, 2005-May, 2010
- Market Price of Hydrochloric Acid(31% HCI) in China Yangtze River Delta, 2005-Jun., 2010
- China MDI Capacity, Output, Apparent Consumption, Import and Export, 2000-2010
- Capacity of China MDI Manufacturers, 2009-2013
- China TDI Capacity, Output, Apparent Consumption, Import and Export, 2003-2010
- Capacity and Technology of Major Chloroacetic Acid Manufacturers in China, 2008
- China PO Capacity, Output, Apparent Consumption, Import and Export, 2000-2009
- China ECH Output, Apparent Consumption, Import and Export, 2000-2009
- China CPE Output and Growth Rate, 2006-2009
- China Crude Salt Output, 2000-May, 2010
- Market Price of China Crude Salt, 2006-May, 2010
- Capacity and Output of China Calcium Carbide, 2000-May, 2010
- Market Price of China Calcium Carbide, 2007-May, 2010
- Electric Power Policies Related to China Chlor-alkali Industry
- Operating Income and Net Profit of SCAC, 2007-2010Q1
- Prime Operating Income of SCAC by Products, 2007-2009
- Operating Margin of SCAC by Main Product, 2007-2009
- Operating Income and Net Profit of Xinjiang Tianye, 2007-2010Q1
- Operating Margin of Xinjiang Tianye by Main Product, 2007-2009
- Prime Operating Income Structure of Xinjiang Tianye by Product, 2008-2009
- Operating Income and Net Profit of NYCC, 2007-2010Q1
- PVC and Caustic Soda Output of NYCC, 2007-2009
- Operating Income of NYCC by Chemical Product, 2007-2009
- Operating Margin of NYCC by Chemical Product, 2007-2009
- Gross Margin of PVC and Caustic Soda of Jinlu Group, 2007-2009
- Operating Income and Net Profit of Jinlu Group, 2007-2010Q1
- Prime Operating Income of Jinlu Group by Industry, 2007-2009
- Operating Income of Jinlu Group by Chemical Product, 2007-2009
- Operating Income and Net Profit of YSSC, 2007-2010Q1
- Prime Operating Income of YSSC by Product, 2007-2009
- Operating Margin of YSSC by Main Product, 2007-2009
- Operating Income and Net Profit of Tianyuan Group, 2007-2009
- Prime Operating Income of Tianyuan Group by Product, 2007-2009
- Export Value of Tianyuan Group by Main Product, 2007-2009
- Gross Margin of Tianyuan Group by Main Product, 2007-2009
- Output of Zhongtai Chemical by Main Product, 2007-2009
- Operating Income and Net Profit of Zhongtai Chemical, 2007-2010Q1
- Prime Operating Income and Operating Margin of Zhongtai Chemical by Product, 2007-2009
- Prime Operating Income Structure of Zhongtai Chemical by Region, 2007-2009
- Main Operating Indexes of Dagu Chemical, 2007-2008
- Operating Rate of Dow Chemical, 2005-2009
- Sales and Net Profit of Dow Chemical, 2007-2009
- Sales and EBITA of Dow Basic Chemicals, 2007-2009
- Operating Income Structure of Dow Chemical by Region, 2009
- Sales and EBITA of Bayer, 2008-2009
- Sales of Bayer by Business, 2008-2009
- Shanghai Chlor-Alkali Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Xinjiang Tianye
- Ningxia Yinglite Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Sichuan Jinlu Group., Ltd.
- Yunnan Salt & Salt Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Yibin Tianyuan Group Co., Ltd.
- Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tianjin Dagu Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Dow Chemical