- Published: July 2010
Legal Outsourcing: The Law Firm Perspective
- Published: August 2010
- Region: Global
- 37 Pages
Law firms are having to deal with dramatic growth in legal process outsourcing (LPO) and the relentless spread towards higher-value legal processes. At the same time, they are facing a growing trend among their major clients of consolidating multiple existing law firm relationships into a few wider, longer-term legal service outsourcing (LSO) arrangements with far more demanding commercial models.
- Analysis and insight into the developing role of law firms in the evolving Legal Process Outsourcing and wider Legal Services Outsourcing markets.
- Based on structured interviews with senior partners across the top 30 major law firms at the heart of the legal outsourcing market.
Highlights of this title
Includes the capture of confidential quantitative information on the extent of current outsourcing, how this is expected to change over the next two years, and predictions for the ultimate market penetration for LPO and LSO.
Key reasons to purchase this title
- Analyses the changing competitive positioning of law firms as legal outsourcing and offshoring takes hold in the market.
- Understand how fast firms are adopting legal outsourcing, and in what specific functional areas.
- The legal outsourcing market is experiencing a major upheaval
- Unprecedented access to key decision-makers within the major law firms
- Analysis of law firm response to the opportunities and threats posed by LPO and LSO
The Evolving Legal Outsourcing Market
- The primary market players: enterprise legal functions, law firms and LPO providers
- Three different models for legal outsourcing: conventional, LPO and now LSO
- Activity flows with the legal outsourcing market
- A major shift from tactical to strategic LPO
- LPO is spreading steadily up the value levels
- The emerging LSO model
Market Growth Predictions
- The 'perfect storm'
- Stage set for dramatic acceleration in LPO and LSO
- LSO will fuel additional growth in LPO
- LPO and LSO have significant future growth potential
Law Firms: Drivers and Responses
- Demand for flexibility and cost reduction from enterprise legal functions
- Increasingly effective competition from non-law firms
- Growing law firm recognition of LPO and LSO a major threat and opportunity
- Law firm adoption of new operating models now gathering pace
- LPO pilot strategies set to become 'business as usual' across firms
- Need for an LSO response becoming more urgent
- Proactive law firms will reap longer-term benefits
- Further reading
- Ask the analyst
- Orbys consulting
List of Tables
Table 1: Major law firms surveyed for this report (UK/international)
Table 2: A selection of offshore LPO and BPO providers
List of Figures
Figure 1: Comparison of LPO and LSO
Figure 2: Legal outsourcing market dynamics
Figure 3: Primary LPO groupings by value level
Figure 4: LPO spreading steadily up the value triangle
Figure 5: Predicted two-year market growth for LPO and LSO
Figure 6: Predicted longer-term market growth
Figure 7: Priority of LPO/LSO initiatives: averaged across all firms
Figure 8: Priority of LPO/LSO initiatives: averaged most proactive firms
Figure 9: Status of LPO strategy
Figure 10: Law firm adoption of LPO provider relationships and LPO captives
Figure 11: Percentage of law firms engaged in each LPO area
Figure 12: Status of LSO strategy