This product is currently not available for purchase.
Pipeline and Commercial Insight: Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Topical formulations drive market growth
- ID: 1383070
- September 2010
- 29 pages
The testosterone replacement therapy market grew with an impressive compound annual growth rate [CAGR]: 24.3% from 2005 to 2009 to reach $838m sales. While these drugs can reverse the symptoms of testosterone deficiency rather efficaciously, only an estimated 5% of affected people receive treatment.
- Patient potential analysis across the seven major markets
- Review of the key needs supported by key opinion leaders
- Current and future market dynamics in the seven major markets, including analysis and forecast for current leading brands
- R&D pipeline analysis with detailed profiles and forecasts of key agents, including Eli Lilly's Axiron (testosterone)
Testosterone preparations come in a variety of formulations including injections and transdermal ones. While gels dominate the market in the US, in the EU there is a preference for injectables due to cost constraints.
The US is by far the largest market for testosterone replacement drugs, with sales in excess of $800m and accounting for almost 96% of the total sales value in 2009 and showing the strongest growth.
The deal with Eli Lilly is advantageous for Acrux. Axiron (testosterone) is the first metered dose transdermal system to reach this market. Driven by Eli Lilly's experience in the men's health arena and its marketing and sales resources, Axiron uptake which will become the leading drug in 2019.
Reasons to Purchase
- Understand patient population dynamics
- Gain insight into the unmet needs of current testosterone treatment and to what extent pipeline drugs will address these issues
- Identify licensing opportunities based on company portfolio and market needs
About Datamonitor Healthcare
About the Genitourinary pharmaceutical analysis team
Strategic scoping and focus
Datamonitor insight into the testosterone replacement therapy market
1. Patient Potential
2. Market overview
Market definition for this report
Seven major markets
US current and future market overview
Japan: current and future market overview
Five major EU current and future market overview
3. Brand dynamics
Overview of competitive landscape
Androgel (testosterone gel; Abbott/Solvay)
Testim (testosterone gel; Auxilium)
Androderm (testosterone patch; Watson)
Tostran (testosterone; ProStrakan/Endo Pharma)
4. Pipeline dynamics
Axiron (testosterone transdermal metered-dose transdermal system; Acrux/Eli Lilly)
APPENDIX A – MARKET ASSUMPTIONS
Data definitions, limitations and assumptions
Derivation of sales forecasts and pricing trends