• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Optical Communications Market Update
Lightcounting, July 2010, Pages: 57
A decade after the telecom bubble burst and a few quarters after the most recent economic downturn, there is a perception that an industry-wide optical upgrade cycle is starting at last. All segments of the optical networking equipment and components market, including telecom, enterprise, and storage area networks showed clear signs of recovery in late 2009 and early 2010. Analysis of publicly reported revenues of equipment vendors combined with confidential sales data of optical components and modules, offer a unique insight into market dynamics, presented in this report.
The report also presents analysis of network bandwidth growth calculated from data on shipments of optoelectronic interface modules employed in telecom, enterprise, and storage area networks. This approach to tracking the market offers an effective method for identifying timing and scope of infrastructure upgrade cycles, technology transitions, and even product life cycles.
In addition to in-depth market analysis, this report offers summaries of the latest business developments and financial performance for 19 leading equipment manufacturers. It also includes sales data on more than 100 product categories covering Q1 2009 to Q1 2010 for SONET/SDH, Ethernet, Fibre Channel, CWDM, DWDM, and FTTx transceivers, parallel modules, and active optical cables. It also discusses guidance for the rest of 2010 and potential changes to market forecast published in March 2010. Data for the report was provided by more than 25 leading module and component vendors.
- Executive Summary
- Telecom Networking Equipment and Components Market
- Ethernet/IP Networking Equipment and Components Market
- Storage Networking Equipment and Components Market
Section 1. Telecom equipment market and vendor highlights
- Alcatel Lucent’s Financial Struggles Continue
- Ciena Becomes a Dominant Player in Optical Networking with the Acquisition of Nortel’s MEN Unit
- Ericsson Developing Packet Optical Technology
- Nokia Siemens Networks New CEO Pushes Market Share Over Margin
- Cisco Invests in Optical—Who Knew?
- Fujitsu Network Communications Bets on Packet Optical
- Tellabs Sees Growth in Mobile Backhaul and Network Intelligence
- As Huawei Continues to Engulf the Market, Is the United States Its Next Target?
- Infinera Is Growing Internationally, but How Will It Expand Outside of LH DWDM?
- ADVA Sees Growth in 2010 Coming from Expansion into additional emerging Markets and the Americas
- Adtran, a United States–Focused Supplier of Access Products, Sees Continued Growth in 2010
- ZTE, Already Strong in Emerging Markets, Plans to Expand into North America and Western Europe with Wireless Deployments at Tier 2/3 Carriers
Section 2: Ethernet/IP Networking Equipment Market and Vendor Highlights
- Force10 Networks Is Planning an IPO
- Hewlett-Packard Company, a Former Cisco Partner, Now Must Compete with Cisco
- Juniper Networks Has Recently Lost Service Provider Edge Router Market Share to Alcatel Lucent
- Cisco Networks Takes on a Whole New Set of Competitors as It Enters the Server Market
- How Will Brocade Networks Converged Datacenter Story Play Against Cisco, Juniper, and HP?
- QLogic Is the Market Leader for Host Bus Adapters
- Emulex Aiming to Own Host Bus Adapters and LOMs for Ethernet to OEMs
- Avaya Entered the Enterprise Networking Business with Its Acquisition of Nortel’s Enterprise Business
- Alcatel Lucent Strengthening Its Position in Service Provider Edge Routers
- ZTE Shows Strong Growth but an Asia-Centric Customer Base
Section 3: Sales of Optical Components and Modules
- SONET/SDH Transceiver Market
- CWDM and DWDM Interfaces
- Ethernet Transceivers
- Fibre Channel Transceiver Market
- FTTx Transceivers
- Optical Interconnect Market
Appendix A: List of transceiver vendors included in the total market calculation
Appendix B: Shipments of SONET/SDH transceivers
Appendix C: Shipments of Ethernet transceivers
Appendix D: Shipments of Fibre Channel transceivers
Appendix E: Shipments of CWDM and DWDM transceivers and transponders
Appendix F: Shipments of FTTx modules
Appendix G: Shipments of Optical Interconnects
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.