- Published: July 2007
Global 802.15.4 and ZigBee
- Published: November 2010
- Region: World
- 86 Pages
Combined 802.15.4 chip and module shipments are forecast to reach 850 million units in 2014. This PowerPoint report plus Excel forecast through 2020 covers the status of 802.15.4 and ZigBee. In addition to unit shipments, ASPs, revenues, and Bill of Material (BOM) forecasts are included. Application forecasts include residential automation, commercial and government building control, lighting, medical, smart grid, industrial process control, and consumer electronics.
Smart Energy to be Largest Volume Growth Opportunity for 802.15.4 and ZigBee
ZigBee has been languishing as a technology for nearly 10 years, unable to find an application that would provide a launching pad for its mass adoption. That search may be over. With government stimulus and mandates forcing utilities to better manage electricity usage, smart energy is gaining traction as the largest volume growth opportunity for 802.15.4 and ZigBee, helping to push forecasts of chip and module shipments to over exceed three quarters of a billion units by 2014.
“Energy management organizations as well as IT companies like Google, are also taking an interest in helping drive ZigBee to the forefront of network adoption”, says Brian O’Rourke, Principal Analyst. “Proprietary solutions still have a large share of the market, but because government measures require standards-based solutions, ZigBee stands to benefit significantly in the long run.”
Some of the findings include:
- In-Stat expects to see early growth in numerous market segments throughout the forecast period. However, aggressive growth is not expected until 2015 and beyond.
- Industrial process control will be the second largest application by volume.
- The ZigBee Alliance is expanding its participation in the European Union’s Smart Grid standardization efforts.
- Smart Energy and Smart Grid initiatives are worldwide, but it remains a regional determination regarding technology adoption.
- Other opportunities exist in the energy space around solar monitoring and energy transport.
Recent In-Stat research, Global 802.15.4 and ZigBee covers the worldwide market for ZigBee technology. This PowerPoint report plus Excel forecast deliverable includes:
- Chipset forecast for Zigbee and 802.15.4 through 2020 including unit shipments, ASPs, revenues, and Bill of Material (BOM)
- Application forecasts including residential automation, commercial and government building control, lighting, medical, smart grid, industrial process control, and consumer electronics
- Geographic segmentation
- Competitive standards, protocols and working groups
- Profile of major market players including: Ember, Freescale, Microchip, NXP, Philips, and Texas Instruments SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Other Standards, Protocols, and Working Groups
Components and Modules
Major Market Players
ZigBee Markets & Profiles
List of Tables
Slide 32. ASP of 802.15.4/ZigBee Microcontrollers in US$ (Reduced Function Device, Full-Function Device, and Coordinator)
Slide 33. IEEE802.15.4/ZigBee Radio (in 10k Quantities)
Slide 34. BOM of 802.15.4/ZigBee Modules in 10k Quantities (in $US)
Slide 35. Integrated Modules (SiP) versus SoC and Multi-chip ICs (% of Units)
Slide 36. Full-function Devices and Reduced-function Devices
Slide 73. 802.15.4 (ZigBee and Proprietary) Chipsets by Application (in Thousands)
Slide 74. ZigBee Chipsets by Application (in Thousands)
Slide 75. 802.15.4 (non-ZigBee) Chipsets by Application (in Thousands)
Slide 77. ZigBee Nodes Chipsets by Geographic Regions
Slide 78. 802.15.4 Nodes Chipsets by Geographic Regions
Slide 83. Forecast (ZigBee or Proprietary Network Layer): Node/Chipset Units, BOM ASP & Revenue (Units in Thousands, ASPs in US$, and Revenues in $US Thousands)
List of Figures
Slide 42. Microchip's Reference Implementation of Google PowerMeter API
Slide 50. ZigBee Smart Energy Profile
- Primary research conducted via telephone briefings and email correspondence with companies who manufacture and market ZigBee chipsets, modules, or end products.
- Research conducted July through September 2010.
- Resources include sources in the public domain, such as annual reports and financial filings, white papers, presentations, and other Internet-based resources.
- All revenue figures are in US dollars. In-Stat realizes that conversion rates fluctuate. Some totals in this report may not add up exactly due to rounding.
- The numbers for a given year represent products shipped in that year, not products purchased by consumers.
|Electronic (Powerpoint)||The report will be emailed to you. The report is sent in PowerPoint file format.|