• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Leukemias. Principles and Practice of Therapy
John Wiley and Sons Ltd, November 2010, Pages: 456
Edited by experts from one of the world’s largest leukemia centers, this book provides information on the biology of the variety of leukemic disorders, up-to-date diagnostic testing and many new developments in therapy. Chapters covering new treatments present an outlook for the future and explain the rationale for ongoing clinical trials.
- Targeted therapy, e.g. tyrosine kinase inhibitors (Flt3, Aurora kinase inhibitors, kit inhibitors, BCR-ABL inhibitors)
- Ras inhibitors
- Epigenetic therapy (hypomethylaters and histone deacetylase inhibitors)
- Lenalidomide analogs
- New chemotherapy drugs, e.g. clofarabine, cloretazine, sapacitabine, forodesine
- Combinations of chemotherapy with kinase inhibitors (e.g. ALL induction protocols in combination with dasatinib or imatinib)
- New monoclonal antibodies (lumiliximab, humaxCD20, anti-CD40)
- Thrombopoietic agents
Leukemias: Principles and Practice of Therapy
- Includes practical information to guide you in challenging situations, such as treatment of elderly patients, pregnancy, relapsed and refractory disease
- Incorporates chapters on supportive care and pharmacologic information about the most frequently used drugs in this area
Part 1: Background and Diagnostic.
1. Stem Cell Biology in Normal and Malignant Hematopoiesis (Amer Zeidan and Meir Wetzler).
2. Epidemiology and Etiology of Leukemias (Andrew Fletcher, Annika Whittle and David Bowen).
3. Traditional Diagnostic Approaches (Hartmut Koeppen, Carlos E. Bueso-Ramos and Sergej N. Konoplev).
4. Diagnosis of Leukemias - New Diagnostic Modalities and Implications for Classification (Maher Albitar).
5. Non-cytogenetic Markers and Their Impact on Prognosis (Eric Schafer and Donald Small).
Part 2: Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS).
6. Myelodysplastic Syndromes: Pathophysiology (Steven D. Gore and Erica Warlick).
7. Myelodysplastic Syndromes - The Role of Cytogenetic and Molecular Abnormalities for Classification and Risk Assignment (Ulrich Germing).
8. Myelodysplastic Syndromes (William Stevenson and Guillermo Garcia-Manero).
Part 3: Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML).
9. Presentation and Diagnosis: Novel Molecular Markers and their Role in the Prognosis and Therapy of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (Wolfgang Kern, Torsten Haferlach, Susanne Schnittger, Claudia Haferlach, and Ulrike Bacher).
10. Induction Therapy of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (Martha Wadleigh and Daniel J. DeAngelo).
11. Salvage Therapy for Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Current Strategies and Emerging Therapies (Keith W. Pratz and Judith E. Karp).
12. Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (Gheath Alatrash and Marcos de Lima).
Part 4: Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APL).
13. The Pathophysiology of Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (Francesco Lo-Coco and Syed Khizer Hasan).
14. Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APL): Manifestations and Therapy (Sylvain Thépot, Lionel Ades, Pierre Fenaux).
Part 5: Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL).
15. Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Presentation, Diagnosis and Classification (Sandeep Gurbuxani and John Anastasi).
16. Induction Therapy in Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (Xavier Thomas).
17. Salvage Therapy of Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (Nicola Gökbuget and Dieter Hoelzer).
18. Philadelphia Chromosome-Positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Current Treatment Status and Perspectives (Olga Sala-Torra and Jerald P. Radich).
19. Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in Adolescents and Young Adults (Michael E. Rytting).
20. The Role of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Adults with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (Partow Kebriaei).
Part 6: Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML).
21. Pathophysiology of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (Agnes S. M. Yong and Junia V. Melo).
22. Therapy of Newly Diagnosed and Chronic Phase Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (Andreas Hochhaus).
23. Therapy of Advanced Stage and Resistant Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (Devendra K. Hiwase and Timothy P. Hughes).
Part 7: Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.
24. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Manifestations, and Prognostic Markers (Thorsten Zenz, Hartmut Döhner, Stephan Stilgenbauer).
25. Therapy of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia – Frontline and Salvage (Valentin Goede, Barbara Eichhorst, and Michael Hallek).
26. The Role of Stem Cell Transplantation in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (Simon Hallam and John G. Gribben).
27. Special Situations: Management of Elderly Patients and CLL Transformation (Wei-Gang Tong and Alessandra Ferrajoli).
Part 8: Other Leukemic Disorders.
28. Hairy Cell Leukemia (Farhad Ravandi).
29. Therapeutic Approaches to the Mature T-cell Lymphoproliferative Leukaemias (Nnenna Osuji and Claire Dearden).
30. Philadelphia Chromosome Negative Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (Ruben A. Mesa and Srdan Verstovsek).
Part 9: General Treatment Principles and Clinical Developments.
31. Management of Emergencies in Leukemias (Olga Frankfurt).
32. Management of Infectious Complications in Patients with Leukemia (Marcio Nucci, Nair Bijay and Elias Anaissie).
33. Transfusion Support and Hematopoietic Growth Factors (Paolo Rebulla).
34. New Designs for Clinical Trials: AML as an Example (Elihu Estey).
The color plate section.
"This high quality book will be an excellent reference for both fellows and attending physicians who care for patients with leukemic disorders in either a community or academic setting . . . This book is a welcome resource for those entering the field as well as for long-time practitioners who want to stay up to date." (Doody's, 12 August 2011)
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.