• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Payment Cards in Brazil
Datamonitor, December 2010, Pages: 114
Payment Cards in Brazil is an invaluable guide to one of world's largest payment card markets. The report provides statistics on market size, competitor market shares and forecasts. It also provides an overview of regulation, competitor activities, issuer strategy and product innovation including developments in contactless, mobile payments, online and prepaid cards.
Features and benefits
- Detailed market sizing, competitor shares and forecasts are an invaluable guide for any cards player building a business case for activity in Brazil.
- Analysis of key opportunities across different consumer segments allows for specific targeting of the most profitable customer groups.
- In-depth insight into contactless, mobile, prepaid and online payments highlights future opportunities for all industry stakeholders.
- Detailed analysis of Brazil's regulatory framework assists potential market entrants in understanding current and possible future legislation.
- Brazil has a population of 200 million people. A large proportion of these are unbanked providing an excellent growth opportunity to expand on the 374 million payment cards already in issue. The country's wealth of natural resources and stable banking sector provide the economic environment needed to develop the payment cards market.
- The Brazilian card issuing market is highly concentrated and dominated by domestic state owned and private sector banks. International banking groups have gained significant market share through M&A. Santander Banespa, HSBC Brasil and Citibank are the largest international banks operating in the Brazilian payment cards market.
- In recent years Brazil has been the focus of much interest from foreign companies who view the country as an ideal market to test new products. Mobile banking and payments offer the best opportunity in Brazil due to high mobile penetration and experience making cross border payments by mobile.
Your key questions answered
- Which card segments are showing the fastest growth in the Brazilian payments market and why?
- Who are the key players in Brazil and what is their market share?
- How do Brazilian regulatory authorities impact the payment cards sector?
- How extensive are mobile and contactless payments and where does future growth lie?
Sizing and forecasting the payment card market in Brazil
Competitor and product developments in Brazil
Online, contactless, prepaid, and mobile payments
SIZING AND FORECASTING THE PAYMENT CARD MARKET IN BRAZIL
Key macroeconomic and consumer data
Macroeconomic trends and performance
Demographic and consumer trends
Regulation of Brazilian retail banking
Federal or state government banks
International banking groups
Key regulatory powers
Implications for card issuers
Sizing the payment card market in Brazil
Penetration of payment cards
Number of payment cards in issue by type
Number of payment card transactions
Value of payment card transactions
Trends in payment card use compared to other countries
ATM and POS terminal numbers
Forecasting the payment card market in Brazil
Forecasting the pay now card market
Forecasting the revolving credit card market
Forecasting the charge card market
Acquiring and processing landscape
Cielo is the largest merchant acquirer in Brazil and has recently launched its own credit card scheme ELO
Redecard is the second largest merchant acquirer in Brazil, and its market share is growing
The Brazilian government has been active in promoting competition in the acquiring sector
Credit Card Customer Segmentations
Datamonitor's credit card profile definitions
Transactors are the dominant credit card customer segment in Brazil
The majority of credit card customers obtained a high level of education
Transactors and revolvers have similar income profiles
COMPETITOR AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS IN BRAZIL
Key competitors in the market
Private sector domestic banks
Card issuer market shares and performance
Number of credit cards in issue by brand
Pay now card market sharesThe Brazilian pay now card market is over one and a half times the size of the credit card market, with 223 million cards in issue in 2009.
Charge card market shares
Product design and issuer strategy in Brazil
Credit card product strategy
Frequency of use by brand
Card scheme market shares and developments
Pay now card scheme shares
Revolving credit card scheme shares
Credit card transaction values by scheme
Charge and deferred-debit card scheme shares
Consumer attitudes to credit cards
ONLINE, CONTACTLESS, PREPAID, AND MOBILE PAYMENTS
Online payments in Brazil
Internet use in Brazil
Online commerce in Brazil
Many companies are testing new contactless products in Brazil
Brazil is the fourth largest market in terms of potential opportunity in the Americas, worth $16.4bn
The petrol market offers the biggest opportunity for contactless payments, but has witnessed few developments
Convenience stores also offers numerous opportunities, but no large retailers have been targeted thus far
Transport initiatives have led the Brazilian contactless market so far, with retailers and fast food merchants capitalizing on the opportunities
Implications for issuers
Developments in prepaid cards
Social welfare disbursement programs rely on prepaid cards
Commercially operated prepaid cards will likely grow in the future
Implications for issuers
Developments in mobile payments
Cross-border mobile money transfers represent a significant prospective market for mobile payments.
Brazil is leading the way in mobile payments and remittances, driven by its high mobile penetration
MasterCard launched its Mobile Payments Gateway in Brazil
Mobile payments in emerging markets are expected to rise rapidly
Retail banking regulation in Brazil
Brazil's strictly regulated banking sector weathered the worst of the financial crisis
Cards and payments database
Financial Services Consumer Insight is new to our offering, providing new and valuable insight
Ask the analyst