• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Worldwide Hard Disk Drive Market by Application
In-Stat/MDR, January 2011, Pages: 39
One of the key features of this report is the special segmentation detailing the breakouts in terms of HDD’s form factor, RPM, and number of disks within the application markets.
It also addresses solid state drives and how they are positioned with respect to hard disk drives.
The report projects a roadmap to future generations of products, such as the total gigabytes in HDDs in the dominant desktop and notebook PC segments. In addition, the report:
- Identifies critical issues with the tablet PC market for HDDs
- Explains why STBs need to stay with HDDs in the long haul
- Reports that two major vendors are going in opposite directions. One was planning to go private, but recently hastily withdrew those plans. The other is planning to raise cash through an IPO.
- Identifies HDD applications in the mission critical enterprise segment
Current Status of the HDD Industry
Key Players in the HDD Industry
- Hitachi GST
- Western Digital
New Products in the HDD Industry
- Evolutionary New Products:
- Overcoming Drive Capacity Limitations
- Hybrid Hard Drives
- Self-Encryption Drives
Market Share of Key Players in the HDD Industry
- Market Share by Segment
- HDD Industry Historical Output, 20072009
HDD Annual Industry Forecast
- HDD Forecast in Key Segments
- HDD Shipments in the Consumer Electronics Segments
HDD Current and Future Trends
- Production Capacities
- Areal Density Growth
- Economic Factors Affecting HDDs
- Solid State Drives Impacting HDDs
- Patterned Media
Future Trends in IT and CE Industries: Whats in Store for HDDs?
List of Tables
Table 1. HDD Unit Market Share, 2009 (Units in Thousands)
Table 2. HDD Unit Market Share, 1H10 (Units in Thousands)
Table 3. Segment Market Share by Vendor, 1H10
Table 4. Segment Share of Total Available Market, 1H10
Table 5. Revenue, Shipments, and ASPs for HDD Industry, 2007–2009 (Revenue US$ in Millions, Shipments in Thousands, ASP in US$)
Table 6. Total HDD Revenue and Shipment Forecast, 2008–2015 (Revenue US$ in Millions, Shipments in Thousands)
Table 7. HDD Shipments by Segment, 2010–2015 (Units in Thousands)
Table 8. HDD Shipments by CE Applications, 2010–2015 (Units in Thousands)
Table 9. HDD Plant Output/Quarter, 1Q09–4Q10 (Units in Thousands)
Table 10. HDD Industry Output and Plant Capacities, 2010–2015 (Units in Thousands)
Table 11. Areal Density for the HDD Industry in Gb/in.2 and GB/p for Desktops and Notebooks, 2009–2015
Table 12. $/GB Price Comparison Between HDDs and SSDs in Notebook PC Platforms
Table 13. Methodology Used to Derive Average $/GB for a 2.5" HDD for a Notebook PC
Table 14. SSD vs. HDD Technical Comparisons in Notebook PC Storage
List of Figures
Figure 1. Hybrid Hard Drive
Figure 2. HDD Unit Market Share, 2009
Figure 3. HDD Unit Market Share, 1H10
Figure 4. Segment Share of Total Available Market, 1H10
Figure 5. Historical Revenue, HDD Industry, 2007–2009 (US$ in Millions)
Figure 6. Total HDD Revenue Forecast, 2008–2015 (US$ in Millions)
Figure 7. Total HDD Shipment Forecast, 2008–2015 (Units in Thousands)
Figure 8. HDD Shipments by Segment, 2010–2015 (Units in Thousands)
Figure 9. Netbook HDD Shipments, 2010–2015 (Units in Thousands)
Figure 10. HDD Shipments by CE Application, 2010–2015 (Units in Thousands)
Figure 11. Total Areal Density, 2009–2015
Figure 12. $/GB Price Comparison of HDD vs. SSD in a Typical Notebook PC Platform
Figure 13. Bit Patterned Media, Courtesy of Hitachi GST
Figure 14. Conventional Recording (Left) and Discrete Track Recording (Right)
Digital Video Applications Propel Hard Disk Drive Market
The demand for gigabytes and terabytes of storage from PC users, game enthusiasts, and TV entertainment folks is keeping the industry growing to the degree that In-Stat (www.in-stat.com) forecasts HDD unit shipments will increase to over 1 billion units by 2014. The main drivers of growth have been the notebook PC market, set top boxes, and external storage.
As video has gone digital, demand for storage is found in consumer applications including set top boxes (STBs), external drives, automotive applications, personal media players, camcorders, home servers, and video cameras, says Norm Bogen, VP, Digital Entertainment. STBs have been a HDD application target since TiVo pioneered TV recordings and playback and 'Time Shifting'. The 3.5 HDDs at 7200 rpm and with capacities starting from 500 GBs to 2 TBs are being offered in this DVR application market. Among consumer applications, external HDDs are the second largest segment behind DVRs, and will double in unit volume between 2010 and 2015.
Recent Research by In-Stat found the following:
- The top 5 HDD vendors include Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate, Toshiba and Western Digital. Western Digital has overtaken Seagate as the largest HDD manufucturer for the first half of 2010. Seagate retains its dominant position in enterprise HDDs.
- HDDs have maintained the stopping power against SSDs (Solid State Drives), providing storage at a tenth of the price on a cost/megabit basis.
- Drive capacities are growing at a rate of 40% per year.
- The industry is expected to cross the 1 Tb/sq. inch threshold in the 2012-2013 timeframe.
- The demand for 2.5 mobile/portable drives keeps growing at a faster pace and has outstripped the TAM for desktop drives.
- Cloud storage shifts some of the requirements for massive storage on a PC device to one in the Cloud with a company such as Amazon, Microsoft, Google, etc.
Recent In-Stat research, Worldwide Hard Disk Drive Market by Application, examines the HDD industry from a brief past and then forecasts the state of the industry in the next five years (2010 through 2015) including:
- Volume shipments
- Industry revenue
- Average sales price
- Areal density
- Review and commentary on the systems market
- Review and commentary on SSDs traction in the storage space
This research is part of In-Stats Multimedia Technology service, which provides comprehensive analysis and forecasts the worldwide markets for technologies, IP and semiconductors in multimedia-enabled consumer electronics devices (TVs, set top boxes, etc.).
- Western Digital
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.