- Language: English
- 104 Pages
- Published: June 2012
- Region: Global
M86 - MailMarshal and WebMarshal
- ID: 1540074
- December 2010
- 15 pages
M86 Security provides two software products that protect and support the service-delivery requirements of the key email and web communications channels. M86 MailMarshal SMTP (v6.8) is a scalable and powerful email security product that is capable of operating across any network environment. M86 WebMarshal (v6.8) provides secure web-gateway protection that can be installed for Windows operations.
Features and benefits
- MailMarshal provides an integrated range of content filtering, protection, and email management services.
- WebMarshal provides an integrated framework for web-user and website protection.
- M86 WebMarshal is a Windows-based software product that operates with any Microsoft environment, supporting SQL Server, SQL Reporting Services, Internet Information Services (IIS), .NET, Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA), and Active Directory (AD)/NT authentication. It acts as a proxy for web traffic, providing secure web gateway protection.
- M86 MailMarshal is a software-based email security and management solution. The product is normally deployed at the network perimeter and acts as a gateway manager for controlling all inbound and outbound email communications. It identifies and blocks incoming threats including spam, phishing attacks, viruses, and other malware threats.
Your key questions answered
- M86 MailMarshal SMTP is suitable for most small-to-large enterprise organizations. M86 WebMarshal is mainly used by organizations in the SME space.
- MailMarshal can be deployed as a standalone solution. It can also work alongside M86 WebMarshal to protect web and email channels.
M86 MailMarshal SMTP
Email: content inspection and analysisThe email channel continues to be responsible for servicing the volume-messaging needs of most business organizations. Email management and protection systems remain responsible for information throughput, data protection, and for filtering out the high volumes of spam and malware that continue to be sent.
Web: in-depth file and content inspectionIn-depth file and content inspection has a role to play for both inbound and outbound data flows. To control who is allowed to work with specific data, it has to include the ability to identify and, if necessary, stop specific types of data from entering or leaving an organization. It involves the alignment of security controls with the acceptable-use policy of the organization and supports the requirement for data protection that is in line with regulatory demands such as the Payment Card Industry (PCI) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Web and email protection M86 Security Labs is a key competency that supports all of M86 Security's web and email products. The lab’s expertise in identifying both web and email-based threats and attacks, and providing protection against them, is critical to the success of the company's overall protection strategy.
PRODUCT STRATEGYINTERNET- AND WEB-BORNE THREATS, WHICH INCLUDE THE USE OF SOCIAL NETWORKING, HAVE TAKEN OVER FROM EMAIL AS THE PRIMARY SOURCE OF MALWARE. HOWEVER, EMAIL REMAINS THE CHANNEL OF CHOICE FOR SPAM DISTRIBUTION, AND HACKERS CONTINUE TO USE EMAIL EXTENSIVELY TO DRIVE VICTIMS TO COMPROMISED WEBSITES FOR INFECTION, OR TO FACILITATE PHISHING ATTACKS. WEB AND EMAIL REMAIN THE VITAL COMMUNICATION CHANNELS FOR BUSINESS, AND MUST THEREFORE BE PROTECTED. ALL OF THESE ISSUES PLAY WELL FOR M86 SECURITY, AS THE COMPANY FOCUSES ITS ATTENTION ENTIRELY ON THE PROTECTION AND MANAGEMENT OF WEB AND EMAIL.
Market opportunity The collective use of web and email communications continues to evolve, as do the malware threats posed against these vital communications channels. Ovum acknowledges that both markets are over subscribed with vendor protection solutions, but also believes that vendors that have the products and intelligence-led infrastructures to deal with the latest real-time threats will continue to prosper.
Go to market strategyFor M86 MailMarshal, key business partners include: CDW, Virtual Graffiti, SCT, and NWTech in the US; Trustmarque, Sapphire, and Tecnidata in Europe the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA); and Data 3, Gen-I, Klikon, Designer Tech, and Datacom Systems in Asia Pacific. Technology partners include Sophos, McAfee, Norman, Cloudmark, IBM, Image Analyzer, Kaspersky, Sunbelt, and CA.
Fife ConstabularyFife Constabulary, a Scottish police authority, selected M86 for web and email protection to prevent misuse of its online services. The police authority needed to protect sensitive data and ensure that its services were being used responsibly. Staff had been provided with open access to the Internet and email for personal use while at work; however, it was recognized that this should not be at the expense of work-related performance and should not encourage inappropriate use that could legally embarrass the constabulary. M86 Security has provided the police authority with protection and management services that secure both its email and web gateways.
Imperial College London