- Language: English
- 66 Pages
- Published: August 2012
- Region: Global
This product is currently not available for purchase.
Saturation Impacts the Global Satellite Set Top Box Market
- ID: 1557685
- January 2011
- Region: Global
- 48 Pages
Changes are afoot in the worldwide satellite set top box market with the introduction of residential media servers in 2011. Fewer satellite set top boxes will be required going forward as content is delivered to IP clients, both stationary and mobile.
This report looks at the impact of that trend along with market saturation to develop a global view of the next few years. The report contains a five-year worldwide forecast by region of satellite set top box unit shipments, ASPs, box revenues, HD box unit shipments, HD DVR box unit shipments, and SD DVR box unit shipments. It also provides a forecast for satellite set top box BOMs and semiconductor TAMs.
Digital Video Broadcasting Project
Retail vs. Lease
- Market Share
- North America
- Latin America
- Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Middle East/Africa
- Free To Air
- Unit Shipments
- Over the Top
- Wireless Connections
- Wired Connections
- Media Server Configurations
- Component Suppliers
Related In-Stat Reports
List of Tables
Table 1. Worldwide Satellite Set Top Box Market Share, 2008–2009
Table 2. Worldwide Satellite Set Top Box Shipments by Region, 2007–2014 (Units in Thousands)
Table 3. Worldwide IP Set Top Boxes Used in the Satellite Market, 2007–2014 (Units in Thousands)
Table 4. Worldwide Satellite Set Top Box ASPs by Region, 2007–2014 (US$)
Table 5. Worldwide Satellite Set Top Box Revenues by Region, 2007–2014 (US$ in Millions)
Table 6. Worldwide HD DVR Satellite Set Top Box Unit Shipments and ASPs by Region, 2007–2014 (Units in Thousands and ASPs in US$)
Table 7. Worldwide SD DVR Satellite Set Top Box Unit Shipments and ASPs by Region, 2007–2014 (Units in Thousands and ASPs in US$)
Table 8. Worldwide HD Non-DVR Satellite Set Top Box Unit Shipments and ASPs by Region, 2007–2014 (Units in Thousands and ASPs in US$)
Table 9. Basic SD MPEG-2 FTA Digital Satellite Set Top Box Bill-of-Materials, 2007–2014
Table 10. Advanced Digital Satellite Set Top Box Bill-of-Materials, 2007–2014
Table 11. Semiconductor Total Available Market (TAM) for Satellite Set Top Boxes, 2007–2014 (US$ in Millions)
List of Figures
Figure 1. Worldwide Satellite Set Top Box Unit Shipments, Pay-TV vs. FTA, 2009–2014 (Units in Millions)
2010 Satellite Set Top Box Shipments Down 8% in Each of the North American and Western European Regions
North American satellite pay-TV providers have not been adding subscribers at the same rate as previous years. Competition has been fierce from cable and telco providers offering bundled services and gains in subscribers as a result of being the video portion of telco triple play offers, have mostly run their course. In Europe, the market will be impacted by less need for set top boxes, because more TV sets have integrated satellite tuners and CI+ slots. As a result, shipments of satellite set top boxes declined in 2010 by 8% in both the North American and Western European regions.
“The decline in North America shipments moving forward will be a result of a movement to residential media servers, first by DirecTV, and then by other providers,” says Michelle Abraham, Principal Analyst. “The move to IP clients will impact Europe as well, though multi-room penetration is much lower, so the impact on shipments will be lower. Markets like Latin America and the Mid-East/Africa regions will see the highest growth percentages as rising household incomes and lower cost pay-TV packages will enable more satellite pay-TV subscriber growth in those markets.”
New research findings include:
- Saturation in some satellite markets will result in a stall in satellite set top box unit shipments for the pay-TV market.
- The switch from connecting a satellite set top box to every TV for satellite viewing to using IP clients will impact the satellite box market.
- HD and DVR boxes continue to gain at the expense of SD boxes.
- Both Colombia and Argentina plan to launch satellite services to complete their DTT coverage.
- The worldwide satellite HD box forecast shows growth each year through 2014 with the exception of 2011 as a result of DirecTV's use of IP set top boxes.
Recent In-Stat research, Saturation Impacts the Global Satellite Set Top Box Market covers the worldwide market for digital satellite set top boxes. It includes:
- Unit, revenue, and ASP forecasts of satellite set top boxes by region and by type through 2014.
- Segmentation of HD and SD, as well as DVR and non-DVR.
- Analysis of features, including OTT video, 3D, wired and wireless connectivity, transcoding and middleware.
- Bill of materials and semiconductor total available market forecasts through 2014.
- Regional market overviews.
- Box vendor profiles of ADB, EchoStar, Humax, Pace, Sagemcom, Samsung, Technicolor, and others. Silicon vendor profiles of ALi, Broadcom, Celestial Semiconductor, Fujitsu, HiSilicon, Intel, MtekVision, NationalChip, NEC, Penstar Technology, realTek, STMicroelectronics, Sunplus, Trident Microsystems, ViXS Systems, Zenverge, Zoran, and others.
This research is part of In-Stat’s Multimedia Entertainment Equipment service, which provides comprehensive analysis of the transformational shifts in digital entertainment networks and business models, including Internet video, interactive advertising, CDNs, and interactive program guides.
- Celestial Semiconductor
- Penstar Technology
- Trident Microsystems
- ViXS Systems