- Language: English
- 512 Pages
- Published: September 2012
- ID: 1580987
- December 2010
- 78 Pages
- Future Medicine Ltd
The increasing worldwide prevalence of metabolic syndrome represents an important healthcare issue across the world. Metabolic syndrome is most frequently defined by a presence of certain traits, including abdominal obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidaemia, elevated blood pressure and pro-thrombotic and pro-inflammatory states. It is rather difficult to develop universally effective drugs that act on single targets within the complex pathological network. A more feasible approach might be to manage multiple elements of the pathomechnism and/or to eliminate or minimize risk factors.
This Special Focus Issue of the peer-reviewed journal Future Medicinal Chemistry features 9 manuscripts from respected researchers in the field including '‘Energy expenditure genes’ or ‘energy absorption genes’: a new target for the treatment of obesity and Type II diabetes' and 'Targeted therapies of the LKB1/AMPK pathway for the treatment of insulin resistance'. The issue highlights new achievements related to the developement of new therapies for metabolic syndrome and its important disease components.
- Welcome to new insights into ‘Metabolic Syndrome'
- Adipokines have a role to play in the treatment of metabolic disease
Steve T Russell
NEWS & ANALYSIS
- Future Medicinal Chemistry
-Well-being of obese individuals: therapeutic perspectives
Jean-Philippe Chaput, Angelo Tremblay
- SSAO substrates exhibiting insulin-like effects in adipocytes as a promising treatment option for metabolic disorders
Josep Mercader, Zsuzsa Iffiú-Soltesz, Xavier Brenachot, Ágota Földi, Petra Dunkel, Balázs Balogh, Camille Attané, Philippe Valet, Péter Mátyus, Christian Carpéné
- SIRT1-independent mechanisms of the putative sirtuin enzyme activators SRT1720 and SRT2183
Julie L Huber, Michael W McBurney, Peter S DiStefano, Thomas McDonagh
- Discovery and development of 5-HT2C receptor agonists for obesity: is there light at the end of the tunnel?
Keith J Miller, Dean A Wacker
- ‘Energy expenditure genes' or ‘energy absorption genes': a new target for the treatment of obesity and Type II diabetes
Sandrine Braud, Marco Ciufolini, Itzik Harosh
- Targeted therapies of the LKB1/AMPK pathway for the treatment of insulin resistance
Eijiro Yamada, Ting-Wen A Lee, Jeffrey E Pessin, Claire C Bastie