- Language: English
- 276 Pages
- Published: December 2013
- Region: Global
Infection and Autoimmunity
- Published: September 2004
- Region: Global
- 768 Pages
- Elsevier Science and Technology
Autoimmune diseases are conditions where the immune system attacks the body organs instead of foreign invaders. This book deals with the various mechanisms which infectious agents can trigger autoimmunity such as molecular mimicry, polyclonal activation and others. An overview is given with regard to bacteria, viruses and parasites associated with autoimmunity. There is a summary on classical autoimmune diseases and the infecting agents that can induce them.
Introduction: Infection and Autoimmunity (Y. Shoenfeld, N. Rose). List of Contributors.
I. Mechanisms of autoimmune induction by infection.
1. Implications of T cell receptor crossreactivity for the pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases (K. Wucherpfenning). 2. Epitope spreading (K. Moudgil, M. Durai). 3. Molecular mimicry in multiple sclerosis: Role of MHC-altered peptide ligands (MMPL) (D. Hafler). 4. Adverse event of desirable gain in immunocompetence: The Immune Restoration Inflammatory Syndrome (IRIS) (M. Stoll, R.E. Schmidt). 5. CD5-Expressing B Cells and infection (Y. Renaudineau, J.O. Pers, P. Youinou). 6. Endothelial cell autoreactivity and infection (C. Dugué, Y. Renaudineau, P. Youinou).
7. Induction of autoimmunity by adjuvant hydrocarbons (K.M. Kelly et al.). 8. Vaccination and autoimmunity (A. Aron-Maor, Y. Shoenfeld). 9. BCG vaccination (M. Tishler).
10. Viruses the culpritis of autoimmune diseases? (B. Rager, M. Denman). 11. How transgenic mouse models contribute to a better understanding of virus-induced autoimmunity (P. Krebs, B. Ludewig). 12. EBV and autoimmunity (M. Pender). 13. HIV and autoimmunity (G. Zandman-Goddard, Y. Shoenfeld). 14. Parvovirus 19 and autoimmunity (M.C. Severin, Y. Shoenfeld). 15. Hepatitis C virus infection and vasculitis (D. Vassilopoulos). 16. HCV and cryoglobulinemia (C. Ferri, S. Bombardieri). 17. Virus-induced systemic vasculitides (L. Guillevin, P. Cohen, C. Pagnoux). 18. Viral infections and autoimmune hepatitis (S. Vento, F. Cainelli). 19. Viral infections and type 1 diabetes (Hee-Sook Jun, Ji Won-Yoon). 20. Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus-induced demyelinating disease (TMEV-IDD) and autoimmunity (S.D. Miller, C. van der Lugt-Castaneda). 21. Viruses and multiple sclerosis (A. Anat). 22. Endogenous retroviruses as etiological agents in systemic lupus erythematosus (M.K. Adelman, D.E. Yocum, J.J. Marchalonis). 23. Sjögren's syndrome-autoimmune epithelitis: Role of Coxsackie viruses in pathogenesis (D.A. Liakos, E.K. Kapsogeorgou, H.M. Moutsopoulos). 24. Viral infection and heart disease: Autoimmune mechanisms (M. Afanasyeva, N.R. Rose).
IV. Bacteria and autoimmunity.
25. Rheumatic fever: How streptococcal throat infection triggers an autoimmune disease (J. Kalil, L. Guilherme). 26. PANDAS: Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections (S. Swedo). 27. Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric autoimmunity: Coincidence or cause-effect relationship? (G. Del Prete et al.). 28. Yersinia enterocolitica infections and autoimmune thyroid diseases (M.F. Prummel, W. Weirsinga). 29. Reactive arthritis (Reiter's syndrome): Roles of bacteria and HLA-B27 (M. Cutolo). 30. BSE as an autoimmune disease evoked by A cinetobacter: Implications for multiple sclerosis and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (A. Ebringer, T. Rashid, C. Wilson). 31. Infection and autoimmunity in patients with antibiotic treatment-resistant Lyme arthritis (A. Steere). 31a. The mechanisms of reactive and post bacterial arthritis (J. Sibilia).
V. Parasites and autoimmunity.
32. Parasites infection and autoimmunity (M. Abu Shakra, Y. Shoenfeld). 33. Autoimmunity in Chagas' disease (E. Cunha-Neto et al.). 34. Anti-saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies and autoimmune diseases (I. Krause, G. Milo).
VI. Infection and diseases.
35. The infectious origin of the antiphospholipid syndrome (M. Blank et al.). 36. SLE and infection (G. Zandman-Goddard, Y. Shoenfeld). 37. Type I diabetes mellitus, infection and toll-like receptors (F.J. Quintana, I.R. Cohen). 38. Infection and autoimmune thyroid diseases (Y. Tomer, R. Villanueva). 39. Pemphigus and infection (D. Mimouni, M. David. 40. Infection, autoimmunity and autoimmune liver diseases (Xiano-Song He, M.E. Gershwin). 41. Infection and multiple sclerosis (S.S. Soldan, S. Jacobson). 42. Infection and polymyositis
dermatomyositis (A. Doria, S. Zampieri). 43. Infection and Guillian-Barre syndrome (N.M. van Sorgeet al.). 44. Infection and systemic sclerosis (S. Guiducci et al.). 45. Tuberculosis and SLE-like symptoms as a complication of biological anti-TNF therapy (M. Buc, J. Rovensky). 46. Infection and Bechet's disease (H. Yaziki, G. Hatemi). 47. Infections and immune thrombocytopenic purpura (A.J. Chou, J. Bussel). 48. Inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) (J. Weinstock). 49. Infection and spondyloarthropathies (J. Alcocer). 50. Celiac and infection (S. Reif, A. Lerner). 51. Retinal diseases and infections (R. Nussenblatt, J. Hooks). 52. Infection and atherosclerosis (J. Frostegard). 53. Role of heat shock proteins in atherosclerosis (Qingbo Xu, G. Wick). 54. Interaction between rheumatoid arthritis and infections (L.J. Jara Quezadaet al.).
Rose, Noel R
Agmon Levin, Nancy