- Language: English
- 85 Pages
- Published: March 2013
- Region: United Kingdom
Professional Portable Power Tools Market - UK 2009-2013
- Published: August 2009
- Region: United Kingdom
- 75 pages
- AMA Research
The third edition of the report ‘Professional Portable Power Tools Market – UK 2009-2013’ provides an informed and up-to-date review of this substantial market and includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years.
Key areas in the report:
- FORECASTS OF MARKET DEVELOPMENTS TO 2013.
- DETAILED ASSESSMENT OF THE MARKET - analysis of the market structure and recent developments in the market.
- DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS – key distribution channels including industrial distributors, hire outlets,specialists, builders merchants, DIY, Internet, etc.
- ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT GROUP – market sizes, product mixes and sector trends – driving, drilling & breaking, cutting & grinding and carpentry & woodworking.
Areas of particular interest:
- Forecast of the market performance to 2013.
- Review of the main players – product profiles, market shares etc.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics.
- Product development – lithium-ion battery technology stimulates market.
- Distribution channels – changes in recent years.
Some of the companies included:
Atlas Copco, Axminster Power Tool Centre, B&Q, Black & Decker, BSS Group Calder Trade Supplies, Clarke Power Products, Cromwell Tools Ltd, Dewalt Industrial Power Tools Company, Draper Tools, Electrocomponents plc Erbauer, Fein Industrial Power tools (UK) Ltd, Firth Powerfix Ltd, Focus, Grafton Group, Hilti (Great Britain) Ltd, Hitachi Power Tools (UK), Homebase, ITW Construction Products, JCB, Machine Mart Limited, Makita (UK) Ltd, Matsushita Electric, Metabo (UK) Ltd, Monks and Crane Industrial Group, Northern Tool and Equipment Co. (UK) Ltd, Robert Bosch Ltd, Saint-Gobain Building Products Distribution, Screwfix, Stanley, Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd, The Power Tool Centre, The Tool Centre, Toolbank, Toolstop, Travis Perkins, Unifix Ltd, Wickes, Wolseley.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- The professional portable power tools market – key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2005-2008, with forecasts to 2013.
- Product groups reviewed – driving, drilling & breaking, cutting & grinding and carpentry & wood working – growth sectors, drivers etc.
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development, including product development driven by new battery technology and legislation, as well as the impact of recession. Performance in construction, home improvement and manufacturing sectors.
- Market forecasts – prospects for 2009/10 and up to 2013.
- Estimated shares of the main product groups within the overall market – Driving, drilling and breaking; Cutting and grinding; Carpentry and woodworking.
- Product groups – definition, market size and product mix within each sector.
- Product sectors – review of products within the sector including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
- Overview of corded/cordless products – share mix, trends and differences between product sectors.
SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- Identification of key manufacturers – market shares, turnovers, company structure, key areas of specialization etc.
- Overview of distribution structure – including key distribution channel shares, changing trends, growth of Screwfix, role of internet etc..
- Review of leading distributors – general industrial product distributors, power tool specialists, hire sector, builders merchants, DIY multiples, automotive distributors, internet etc.
- Forecast of expected market development in the short, medium and long term.
- Positive and negative factors affecting growth of the market. Views on when the market is likely to recover. Underlying growth factors.
- Outlook for the professional portable power tools market through to 2013.
SHOW LESS READ MORE >
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 1
3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
4 THE PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL MARKET
4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
4.2 MARKET SIZE
4.2.2 Current Situation & Future Prospects
4.2.3 International Trade in Portable Power Tools
4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
4.3.1 Construction Output and RMI activities
4.3.2 House Moving and Home Improvements
4.3.3 Manufacturing Industry Output
4.3.5 Timber Frame Housing
4.3.6 Transport Infrastructure
4.3.7 Wood Working and Floor Coverings
4.3.8 Additional Factors Influencing the Market
5.1 CORDLESS POWER TOOLS
5.2 DRIVING, DRILLING AND BREAKING
5.2.1 Drivers and Drills
5.2.2 Breakers and Hammers
5.3 CUTTING AND GRINDING
5.3.2 Power Saws
5.3.3 Other Cutting Tools
5.4 CARPENTRY AND WOODWORKING
5.4.4 Nailers and Staplers
6. KEY SUPPLIERS
6.1 MARKET SHARES
6.2 KEY SUPPLIER PROFILES
6.2.1 Makita (UK) Ltd
6.2.2 Black & Decker/DeWalt
6.2.3 Robert Bosch Ltd
6.2.4 Hitachi Power Tools (UK) Ltd
6.2.5 Techtronic Industries (TTI)
6.2.6 Metabo (UK) Ltd
6.2.7 Hilti (Great Britain) Ltd
6.2.8 Fein Industrial Power tools (UK) Ltd
6.2.9 Matsushita Electric
6.2.10 Atlas Copco
6.2.11 Other Suppliers
7.2 KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES
7.3 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
7.3.1 General Industrial Products Distributors
7.3.2 Builders and Plumbers Merchants
7.3.3 Power Tools Specialists
7.3.4 Tool and Plant Hire Outlets
7.3.5 DIY Multiples
7.3.6 Other Distributors
CHART 1: THE UK PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS MARKET BY VALUE £M - MSP 2005-2013
CHART 2: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2013
CHART 3: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2013
TABLE 4: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2002-2009 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
CHART 5: AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION 2001 CENSUS (‘000)
TABLE 6: PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS MARKET 2005 – 2013 (£M MSP)
TABLE 7: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN PORTABLE POWER TOOLS 2003 TO 2008– BY VALUE (£M)
CHART 8: IMPORTS OF PORTABLE POWER TOOLS PRODUCT MIX 2008 - % BY VALUE
TABLE 9: IMPORTS OF PORTABLE POWER TOOLS FOR 2008 – BY VALUE (£M) AND % SHARE
CHART 10: UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR, ANNUAL TOTALS 2002-2008 INDEX 2002 = 100
CHART 11: NUMBER OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN ENGLAND AND WALES 2002-2008 (MILLIONS)
TABLE 12: OUTPUT OF THE PRODUCTION INDUSTRIES (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED)
TABLE 13: TIMBER FRAME COMPLETIONS IN UK 2000 - 2008 (‘000 DWELLINGS)
CHART 14: VALUE OF ROAD & RAIL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2002-2013 (£ BILLION)
TABLE 15: THE UK WOODWORKING MARKET £BN MSP 2002-2008 33
CHART 16: PRODUCT CATEGORY MIX BY VALUE 2008
CHART 17: MIX BY CORDLESS AND CORDED PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2008
TABLE 18: DRIVING, DRILLING & BREAKING MARKET 2005 – 2013 (£M) AT MANUFACTURERS’ SELLING PRICES
CHART 19: PRODUCT MIX WITHIN THE DRIVING, DRILLING & BREAKING SECTOR BY VALUE 2008
TABLE 20: CUTTING & GRINDING MARKET 2005 – 2013 (£M) AT MANUFACTURERS’ SELLING PRICES
CHART 21: PRODUCT MIX WITHIN THE CUTTING & GRINDING SECTOR (GRINDERS, SAWS, ‘OTHERS’) - BY VALUE 2008
TABLE 22: CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING MARKET 2005 – 2013 (£M) AT MANUFACTURERS’ SELLING PRICES
CHART 23: PRODUCT MIX WITHIN THE CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING SECTOR (SANDERS, PLANERS, ROUTERS, NAILERS & STAPLERS) BY VALUE 2008
TABLE 24: SUPPLIERS’ SHARES OF SALES OF THE PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS MARKET BY VALUE 2008
CHART 25: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE – PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL MARKET
CHART 26: DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS' SHARES OF PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS 2008 BY VALUE
CHART 28: MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES 2008
TABLE 29: ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES OF LEADING COMPANIES BY VALUE 2007
TABLE 30: DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2008
TABLE 31: POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY THE LEADING DIY MULTIPLES
This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the different product sectors (drivers, drills & hammers, cutting & grinding and carpentry & wood working). Detailed reviews of the supply chain and distribution channels are provided. The report also provides a forecast of the market prospects to 2013.
The professional portable power tools market is a specialised sector of the overall portable power tool market and is defined as power tools that are designated as such and are understood to be designed and manufactured to ‘professional’ or ‘trade’ standards. ‘Portable’ means that the tools can be carried and operated by one person. This is a highly competitive that is mainly influenced by the performances of the construction, engineering & manufacturing industries and RMI activities as well as internal market influences including product development and legislation.
The market experienced sustained growth until 2007 but by the end of the year the impact of the ‘credit crunch’ began to affect the UK economy and the professional portable power tools market. The start of the recession in 2008 severely impacted the market with prospects deteriorating for 2009. However, the market is anticipated to begin recovery in 2011 and reach an estimated market size of £233 million by 2013. The market is expected to continue to be underpinned by product development and the short replacement cycles of many of the products. Forecasting at this time is extremely difficult and should the recession be longer and deeper than expected, this forecast could prove to be optimistic.
The key suppliers to this market are Makita, DeWalt/Black & Decker, Bosch and Hitachi. Scewfix, part of the general industrial products distributors channel, are dominant in the market and their success has helped to establish this channel as the dominant route to market for professional portable power tools.
The driving, drilling & breaking sector is the largest product category accounting for just over half of the market share, with the other two sectors, cutting & grinding and carpentry & wood working, accounting for almost equal shares of the remainder of the market.
The focus of product development is to reduce hand arm vibration and noise as well as dust extraction, designing user friendly and earth conscious tools. The introduction of lithium-ion technology has boosted the market and resulted in the cordless products sector gaining share from the corded products sector.
Other factors affecting the professional portable power tools market include imports, the volatility of the Sterling exchange rate against the US dollar and Euro as well as price increases in the market, primarily due to increasing fuel & energy prices and rising material costs.
- Atlas Copco
- Axminster Power Tool Centre
- Black & Decker
- BSS Group Calder Trade Supplies
- Clarke Power Products
- Cromwell Tools Ltd
- Dewalt Industrial Power Tools Company
- Draper Tools
- Electrocomponents plc Erbauer
- Fein Industrial Power tools (UK) Ltd
- Firth Powerfix Ltd
- Grafton Group
- Hilti (Great Britain) Ltd
- Hitachi Power Tools (UK)
- ITW Construction Products
- Machine Mart Limited
- Makita (UK) Ltd
- Matsushita Electric
- Metabo (UK) Ltd
- Monks and Crane Industrial Group
- Northern Tool and Equipment Co. (UK) Ltd
- Robert Bosch Ltd
- Saint-Gobain Building Products Distribution
- Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd
- The Power Tool Centre
- The Tool Centre
- Travis Perkins
- Unifix Ltd