Active and Passive Fire Protection Market - UK 2009-2013
- ID: 1771998
- October 2009
- Region: United Kingdom
- 92 pages
- AMA Research
The 2nd Edition of the report ‘Active & Passive Fire Protection Market - UK 2009-2013’ focuses on the housing and construction market and contains original input and a detailed assessment of both active and passive fire protection products.
Key product areas covered include:
- Fire Alarms, Extinguishers, Smoke Alarms, Sprinklers etc.
- Fire Doors and Intumescent Seals
- Door Hardware – Closers, Locks, Handles, Hinges, Emergency exit hardware etc.
- Ceilings & Partitions
- Fire Resistant Cables
- Glass, Structural Steel etc.
Individual product sectors are covered, with a review of recent trends, analysis of current developments and future prospects. The report provides a review of quantitative market developments combined with analysis of the qualitative background reasons and influences affecting the UK fire protection market. This market experienced good growth up to 2007, but has had a difficult time in 2008-09, reflecting a tougher trading environment in the construction and home improvement sectors.
Areas of particular interest:
- Recent growth rates and future prospects – both in the short term in 2009-10, and longer term prospects up to 2013.
- Fragmented supply structure reflecting product diversity.
- Manufacturers offer service and maintenance contracts to add value and increase competitiveness.
- Health and education spending helping to offset severe downturn in housebuilding in 2008-09
- Impact of legislation on market.
Some of the companies included:
ADT Fire & Security, AEI Cables, AGC Flat Glass Europe , Apollo Fire Detectors Armstrong World Industries, Assa Abloy, Avanti Systems, Cape PLC, CGI International, Chubb Plc, Cooper Industries, Dorma, Draka UK, Dufaylite, Fire Protection Ltd, GE Security, Gent, Halma plc, Hochiki Europe (UK), Honeywell Inc, Initial Electronic Security Group (IESG), IR Group, Kaba Door Systems Ltd, Kidde Fire Protection, LS Leaderflush + Shapland, Macron Safety Systems (UK) Ltd, Nittan (UK), Notifier Fire Systems, Nullifire, Nu-Swift International, Pilkington United Kingdom, Promat UK Limited, Protec Fire Detection Plc, Prysmian, Rockfon, Rockwool Ltd, Saint-Gobain Ecophon, SAS International, SCHOTT UK, Senior Hargreaves Ltd, Siemens Building Technologies, SPI Fire Engineering, Spraysafe Automatic Sprinklers, System Sensor Europe, Thermal Ceramics, Triangle Fire Protection, Tyco Fire & Integrated Solutions (UK) Ltd, USG (UK), UTC, Vetrotech Saint Gobain, Xtralis.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Historical background – influencing factors, economic influences etc.
- Market size by value – overview of active and passive fire protection market, sector shares, development from 2004-2008, with forecasts up to 2013.
- Review of key factors influencing recent growth rates, future prospects, potential in domestic/non-domestic applications etc. Performance of housebuilding, public sector etc in 2008-10 period in particular.
- Future Prospects – short term in 2009-10 and longer term prospects up to 2013.
FIRE PROTECTION / EXTINGUISHING SYSTEMS
- Market size by value 2004 - 08 - product analysis (alarms, extinguishers/sprinkler systems, smoke detectors), market size by value, growth prospects to 2013.
- Factors influencing market growth - non-domestic construction, regulations, slowing of growth of smoke detector market in domestic sector, market maturity, levels of imports.
- Household ownership levels - smoke detectors highly saturated in 2008. Fire alarms, extinguishers, blankets and sprinkler systems are relatively unchanged.
- Buying and specification process - range of equipment, key product developments, imports
PASSIVE FIRE PRODUCTS
- Overall market for passive fire products – Fire Doors, Intumescent Seals, Door Hardware, Ceilings & Partitions, Cables, Structural Steel, Ductwork, Dampers etc. Review of overall market size 2006-13, recent growth and future prospects
- Fire Doors, Hardware, Intumescent Seals – market size, split between sectors in 2008. Timber and steel doors market size, trends and drivers – construction trends, switch to apartments etc.
- Review of Door Hardware sector – market size 2006-13, split between locks, handles, closers, emergency exit equipment, hinges in 2008. Key trends, growth of imports, price competition, sector applications – split between new build and RMI in housing and non-housing applications.
- Cables market – overview of market size 2006-13 for fire-protected cables, domestic / non-domestic split, trends, key influencing factors, review of key suppliers, distribution mix etc.
- Ceilings & Partitions – overview of market size 2006-13 for fire-protection products, trends, key influencing factors, key suppliers.
- Glass – fire resistant glass market size 2008, split between insulation and integrity glass, suppliers.
- Others – structural steel, ductwork and dampers – overall market size 2006-13, trends, key influencing factors, key suppliers.
DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPLY – ACTIVE & PASSIVE FIRE
- Review of distribution structure for products - manufacturers, specialist distributors, electrical wholesalers etc.
- Review of major suppliers in all product sectors – leading companies, specialist suppliers, market positioning etc.
- Review of Imports and Exports.
- Future Prospects – key market drivers in medium –longer term.
SHOW LESS READ MORE >
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
4. ACTIVE AND PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION
4.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE – ACTIVE AND PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION MARKET
4.3 KEY INFLUENCES ON THE MARKET
4.3.1 The Construction Market
4.3.2 Housing Market
4.4 FIRE SAFETY AND FIRE REGULATIONS
4.4.1 Fire Safety
4.4.2 Fire Regulations
5. ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS
5.1 MARKET BACKGROUND
5.2 MARKET SIZE
5.2.1 Alarm Systems
5.2.2 Fire Extinguishing Equipment
5.3 HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP LEVELS OF FIRE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT
5.4 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
5.5.1 Channels of Distribution
5.6 SUPPLIERS - ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT
5.6.1 Major Groups
5.6.2 Fire Protection Systems
6. PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS
6.1 MARKET OVERVIEW
6.1.2 Key Influences
6.1.3 Market Size
6.1.4 End Use Sectors
6.2 DOORS, FITTINGS AND INTUMESCENT SEALS
6.2.2 Market Size
6.2.3 Installation and Specification
6.2.4 Key Suppliers - Fire Resistant Doors, Fittings and Intumescent Seals
6.3 FIRE RESISTANT CABLE
6.3.2 Market Background And Market Size
6.3.3 Current Situation and Future Prospects
6.3.4 Key Suppliers Fire Resistant Cables
6.4 FIRE RESISTANT CEILINGS AND PARTITIONS
6.4.2 Fire Protection Standards
6.4.3 Key Drivers
6.4.4 Market Size
6.4.5 Key Suppliers - Fire Resistant Partitions And Ceilings
6.5 FIRE RESISTANT GLASS
6.5.1 Market Background and Definition
6.5.2 Trends, Market Size And Product Mix
6.5.4 Key Suppliers Fire Resistant Glass
6.6 FIRE RESISTANT STRUCTURAL
6.6.1 Market Background and Definition
6.6.2 Market Size, Trends and Product Mix
6.6.3 Key Suppliers Fire Resistant Structural
6.7 DUCTWORK AND FIRE AND SMOKE DAMPERS
6.7.1 Market Background and Definition
6.7.2 Trends and Market Size
6.7.3 Key Suppliers Ductwork and Damper Systems
CHART 1: THE UK MARKET FOR ACTIVE & PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCTS - 2008
CHART 2: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2013
CHART 3: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2013
TABLE 4: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2002-2009 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
CHART 5: AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION 2001 CENSUS (‘000)
TABLE 6: ACTIVE AND PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCTS UK 2006-2013 £M MSP
CHART 7: UK ACTIVE AND PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCTS MARKET – 2007-2013 (£M MSP)
CHART 8: UK ACTIVE AND PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION MARKET – PRODUCT MIX 2008 BY VALUE (ALARMS, FIRE DOORS, FITTINGS, SEALS, CABLES, GLASS, SUSPENDED CEILINGS, STRUCTURES, DUCTWORK ETC).
CHART 9: NEW ORDERS OBTAINED BY CONTRACTORS BY SECTOR - GT. BRITAIN 2002 -2008
CHART 10: QUARTERLY VALUE OF NEW ORDERS OBTAINED BY CONTRACTORS - Q108/Q109 (£M)
TABLE 11: UK HOUSING STARTS 2000-2010 BY SECTOR (‘000)
TABLE 12: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS 2002-2013 – UNITED KINGDOM (‘000 DWELLINGS)
CHART 13: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS - % MIX BY HOUSES / FLATS GB 2001-2008
CHART 14: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) 2003 TO 2008 – BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
CHART 15: UK FIRE PROTECTION MARKET 2008 BY MAJOR PRODUCT (ALARMS, EXTINGUISHERS / SPRINKLER SYSTEMS) - VALUE £M MSP
CHART 16: UK MARKET FOR FIRE ALARMS AND DETECTORS 2004-2013 (£M MSP)
CHART 17: UK MARKET FOR FIRE EXTINGUISHING EQUIPMENT 2004-2013 (£M MSP)
TABLE 18: HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP OF FIRE PROTECTION/DETECTION EQUIPMENT 2008
TABLE 19: DWELLING FIRES WHERE A SMOKE ALARM WAS PRESENT: ALARM TYPE BY (%) 1999-2006
TABLE 20: EXPORTS & IMPORTS OF FIRE & BURGLAR ALARMS - 2004-2007 (£M MSP)
TABLE 21: EXPORTS & IMPORTS OF FIRE EXTINGUISHERS 2004-2007 (£M MSP)
CHART 22: SECURITY & FIRE DETECTION SYSTEMS MARKET STRUCTURE
TABLE 23: UK PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCTS MARKET 2006-2013 £M MSP
CHART 24: PASSIVE FIRE RESISTANT PRODUCTS – FIRE DOORS, FITTINGS, CABLES, CEILINGS, GLASS, STEEL, DUCTWORK / DAMPERS ETC - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE £M UK 2008
CHART 25: PRODUCT SECTOR MIX 2008 (FIRE DOORS, FITTINGS, INTUMESCENT STRIPS/SEALS)
TABLE 26: THE UK MARKET FOR TIMBER AND STEEL FIRE DOORS - £M MSP AT CURRENT PRICES 2003 - 2013
CHART 27: FIRE DOOR PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE – TIMBER / STEEL - 2008 £M MSP
TABLE 28: UK FIRE DOOR FITTINGS MARKET 2004-2013 - £M MSP
TABLE 29: DOOR FITTINGS AND CLOSERS MARKET - PRODUCT MIX 2008 (LOCKS, CLOSERS, HANDLES, HINGES, EXIT HARDWARE ETC)
CHART 30: SALES OF FIRE DOORS, FITTINGS & INTUMESCENT SEALS BY SECTOR (RESIDENTIAL / NON-RESIDENTIAL, NEW BUILD / RMI) - UK 2008 £M MSP
TABLE 31: THE UK MARKET FOR FIRE RESISTANT CABLE 2006-2013 £M MSP AT CURRENT PRICES
CHART 32: FIRE RESISTANT CABLE, BY END USE SECTOR 2008 – BY VALUE
CHART 33: SALES OF FIRE RESISTANT CABLE BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL UK 2008 (BY VALUE)
TABLE 34: THE UK MARKET FOR FIRE PROTECTED SUSPENDED CEILINGS 2006 - 2012 (£M MSP)
TABLE 35: THE UK MARKET FOR FIRE PROTECTED PARTITIONING SYSTEMS 2006-2012 (£M MSP)
TABLE 36: THE UK MARKET FOR FIRE RESISTANT GLASS 2006-2013 (£M MSP)
CHART 37: PRODUCT MIX FOR FIRE RESISTANT GLASS (INSULATING / INTEGRITY GLASS) – £M MSP 2008
CHART 38: DISTRIBUTION CHAIN – FIRE RESISTANT GLASS 2008
TABLE 39: THE UK MARKET FOR COATINGS, SPRAYS AND BOARDS FOR FIRE RESISTANT STRUCTURES 2008-2012 (£M MSP)
TABLE 40: THE UK MARKET FOR FIRE RESISTANT DUCTWORK & DAMPERS 2006-2012 (£M MSP)
The Fire Protection systems market is generally regarded as a relatively mature sector and is influenced by a number of factors, including the general health of the economy, levels of consumer confidence and spending, changing Building Regulations and Standards, and most significantly the underlying performance of the UK building and construction market.
Output values are now declining in the non-domestic construction market which includes all new work and RMI. The changing situation in 2008 has fed through into output and new order figures for 2009, with rapid decline in sectors such as offices, retail and industrial. The uncertainty surrounding the UK and global economies continues to have an effect on non-domestic construction into H2 2009 with levels of business confidence and investment remaining subdued, and no indication of a recovery in investment in new build work into the medium term.
The active fire protection market is comprised of alarms and extinguishers / sprinkler systems, with the market estimated at around £330m in 2008. In terms of passive fire protection, the market for fire doors had experienced steady growth up to 2007. However, the recent downturn in the construction of new houses and flats, together with a decline in many commercial and industrial sectors has had a negative impact on the industry and, as such, has reduced the market value to around £300m, while the fire door fittings market is worth approximately £200m.
The situation into H2 2009 continues to remain pessimistic for the office sector in particular with new projects postponed, further reductions in demand for new and refurbished office space, continuing downward pressures on average rental values and more evidence of commercial office developers facing increasing financial restraints. As a result, the market for suspended ceilings and partitions is likely to decline by 5-7% in 2009, with ‘fire performance’ products accounting for 15-20% of the sector – though definition is subject to some interpretation.
The growth in fire resisting ductwork and damper systems is again largely influenced by overall construction output. Market size for ductwork and damper systems is estimated at over £75m in 2008 but forecast to decline by up to 5% in 2009.
Decline in the housing market is likely to influence the active and passive fire protection sector with regard to fire doorset installations, fire alarms and sprinklers, mainly in multi storey apartments with safety and sustainability becoming increasingly important issues. In addition, further decline within the non-domestic construction sector - particularly in offices, retail and industrial will have a negative effect on the passive fire protection market and will see decline in fire resistant glass, partitions, and cable during 2009. Medium term prospects are more uncertain as rising Government debt levels are likely to result in some cutbacks in public sector capital spending programmes – particularly from 2011.
Continuing concerns over terrorism and public safety should provide further specification opportunities within the commercial sector, with many organisations likely to increase or upgrade their fire safety measures. In particular, transport, stadia or other buildings / locations where there are large crowds etc, are considered key areas, with the Olympics development programme offering good market opportunities.
- ADT Fire & Security
- AEI Cables
- AGC Flat Glass Europe
- Apollo Fire Detectors Armstrong World Industries
- Assa Abloy
- Avanti Systems
- Cape PLC
- CGI International
- Chubb Plc
- Cooper Industries
- Draka UK
- Fire Protection Ltd
- GE Security
- Halma plc
- Hochiki Europe (UK)
- Honeywell Inc
- Initial Electronic Security Group (IESG)
- IR Group
- Kaba Door Systems Ltd
- Kidde Fire Protection
- LS Leaderflush + Shapland
- Macron Safety Systems (UK) Ltd
- Nittan (UK)
- Notifier Fire Systems
- Nu-Swift International
- Pilkington United Kingdom
- Promat UK Limited
- Protec Fire Detection Plc
- Rockwool Ltd
- Saint-Gobain Ecophon
- SAS International
- SCHOTT UK
- Senior Hargreaves Ltd
- Siemens Building Technologies
- SPI Fire Engineering
- Spraysafe Automatic Sprinklers
- System Sensor Europe
- Thermal Ceramics
- Triangle Fire Protection
- Tyco Fire & Integrated Solutions (UK) Ltd
- USG (UK)
- Vetrotech Saint Gobain