• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Ventilation and Air Conditioning Market - UK 2010-2014
AMA Research, December 2010, Pages: 69
Incorporating original input and primary research, this report represents an informed and up-to-date and detailed review of the market and offers excellent value for money.
Key issues covered in the report are:
- Ventilation – Axial, Centrifugal, extractors, tangential, etc.
- Air Conditioning – Packaged (Splits, Portables, Close Control): Central (AHUs, Chillers, Condensers, Terminal Units).
- Accessories – Controls, Flues and chimnies, Ducting, Filters, Natural Ventilation, Dampers, etc.
These markets are substantial, with a total value approaching £1bn at manufacturers’ prices, and the sector has benefited from energy efficiency, legislation, and the drive to sustainability, with energy efficiency presenting significant opportunities for value added growth particularly with ventilation. That said the sector has been hit by the construction downturn, causing a sharp fall in market values in 2009.
The report reviews developments within the industry, with emphasis on both qualitative and quantitative market assessment - both essential requirements to good marketing planning. Recent trends, key influencing factors and forecasts of future developments are assessed.
Of particular interest:-
- Analysis of key product segments in terms of market size, key suppliers, etc.
- Review of legislative influences impacting on the product sectors.
- Major suppliers and shares – ventilation and air conditioning markets.
- Assessment of future prospects for each sector.
- Review of distribution channels.
- Niche applications – including industrial, process, power generation, portable buildings, and tunnels, etc.
Major Companies profiled:
Airedale International Air Conditioning, Airflow Developments Ltd, Alfa Laval, Andrews Air Conditioning, Balticare, Benson Environmental Ltd, Broughton Electro Air Products, CIAT Ozonair, Clivet Aircon, Colt Group Ltd, Coolmation, Daikin Airconditioning UK, De’Longhi, Denco, Dunham Bush Ltd, Eaton-Williams Group, EBM-Papst UK, Elta Fans Ltd, Emerson Climate Technologies, Fan Systems Group, Flakt Woods, Fujitsu General, Greenwood Air Management, Halifax Fan, Hitachi Europe, Honeywell, Howden Group, Hubbard Products, ICS Group, Ingersoll Rand Limited, ITHO Ventilation Ltd, J and E Hall, Johnson and Starley, Johnson Controls, Lennox Industries, LG Air Conditioning, Manrose Manufacturing, Mansfield Pollard, Megafan Technologies, Mitsubishi Electric Air Conditioning Systems Europe, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Europe Ltd, Nuaire Group, Panasonic UK, Parker Hannifin RAC, Rittal Holdings, Rotartica, Samsung, Sanyo, Silavent, Soler and Palau UK, Stiebel Eltron, Systemair UK , TCI (Transtherm Cooling Industries Limited), The London Fan Company, Tomkins Plc Air distribution, Torin Sifan, Toshiba Carrier UK, Trane, Trox UK, Vaillant, Vectaire Ltd, Vent Axia Group, Volution Holdings, Vortice, Weatherite, Xpelair Ltd, Ziehl-Abegg UK.
Key areas covered in the report:
- Market size & trends for ventilation products. Key influences: impact of higher levels of energy efficiency legislation driving growth in all sectors of the market, adverse impact of global financial crisis.
- Market size and structure by major product group – axial, centrifugal, domestic extractors, tangential, roof extract, desk and ceiling sweep.
- Analysis by product group – axial (plate mounted/bifurcated/mixed), centrifugal, domestic (axial & centrifugal/condensation control etc.), tangential (inc. cooker hoods), roof extract, desk, ceiling sweep, high volume low speed destratification fans etc. Applications, suppliers within each sector.
- Major suppliers and shares. Key companies in the axial, centrifugal and domestic extractor markets. Turnover, products, etc.
- Distribution and applications for ventilation products e.g. process, power generation and industrial applications, tunnels, domestic, etc.
- Total market size, trends, Key driving factors. Future prospects.
- Market size and structure by product group - Packaged and Central Station Systems.
- Packaged Air Conditioning
- Market size and trends, past, present & future.
- Mix of small versus large PAC systems.
- Mix of split/close control/portables, etc.
- Application areas, key suppliers, shares, etc.
- Central Station Air Conditioning Systems
- Market size and major trends, past, present & future.
- Mix of Sales – air handling units, chillers, condensers, terminal units, (VAV, fan coil etc). Trends by product area.
- Key suppliers, turnovers etc.
- Changing nature of product sectors, growth of chilled beams, chilled ceilings, etc.
- Distribution and specification of air conditioning systems.
- Accessories market size, key driving factors, future prospects.
- Ventilation and air conditioning accessories – ducting, grilles/diffusers/registers, dampers, flues and chimneys variable speed drives, and natural ventilation (including smoke control, louvred ventilators, trickle ventilators). Growing impact of legislation.
- Major suppliers, products, etc.
- Future prospects – Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Accessories.
- Key influences on these markets – impact of higher levels of legislation, also climatic factors: adverse impact of global financial crisis on levels of new housebuilding and commercial construction.
1.2 Sources of Information
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
2.1 Overall Market
2.2 Future Prospects
3. KEY INFLUENCING FACTORS
3.2 Inflation & Interest Rates
3.4 Household Consumption
3.5 Housing & Construction
3.7 Portable Buildings and Environmental Hire Products
3.8 Prefabricated Buildings
3.9 VAC Applications – The Industrial Sectors
4.2 Market Size and Trends
4.2.1 Market Size
4.2.2 Current and Future Trends
4.2.3 Constant Price Forecast
4.2.4 Future Prospects 2010
4.3.1 Market By Major Product Group
4.3.2 Non-Domestic Axial Fans
4.3.3 Non-Domestic Centrifugal Fans
4.3.4 Domestic Extractor Fans Including Wall, Window and Ceiling Types
4.3.5 Roof Extract
4.3.7 Desk & Ceiling Sweep
4.3.8 Other Fans/Ventilation
4.4 Companies and Shares
5. AIR CONDITIONING
5.2 Market Size
5.2.1 Background and Recent Performance
5.2.2 Future Prospects
5.3.1 Product Mix
5.3.2 Packaged Air Conditioning Systems (PAC)
5.3.3 Central Station Air Conditioning Systems
5.4.1 Sector Shares
5.5 Distribution and Specification
6. VENTILATING AND AIR CONDITIONING ACCESSORIES
6.3 Future Prospects
6.4 Ventilation & Air Conditioning Accessory Products
CHART 1: OVERALL MARKET FOR VENTILATION, AIR CONDITIONING AND NON DOMESTIC HEATING 2004-2014 8
CHART 2: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2014 11
CHART 3: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2014 13
TABLE 4: DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI) GREAT BRITAIN 2004 TO Q2 2010 – MOVING ANNUAL TOTAL BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 14
CHART 5: DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GROWTH AND FORECASTS 2004 TO 2014 – BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 15
CHART 6: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GROWTH AND FORECASTS 2006 TO 2014 – BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 16
TABLE 7: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2004-2010 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
TABLE 8: HIRE MARKET FOR NON MECHANICAL PLANT: ENVIRONMENTAL AND PORTABLE ACCOMMODATION AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 2009 19
CHART 9: UK MARKET FOR HEATING, DRYING & COOLING 2009 AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 19
CHART 10: INDUSTRIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GROWTH FORECASTS (NEW WORK) 2006 TO 2014 – BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 21
TABLE 11: UK MARKET SIZE FOR VENTILATION PRODUCTS 2004 – 2014 £M MSP 24
CHART 12: VENTILATION MARKET IN CONSTANT 2005 PRICES (£M) 2004-2014 26
TABLE 13: VENTILATION MARKET BY PRODUCT TYPE 2009 28
TABLE 14: MARKET SHARES OF UK FAN SUPPLIERS 2009 BY VALUE 33
TABLE 15: UK NON-DOMESTIC AXIAL SUPPLIERS 2009 34
TABLE 16: KEY UK DOMESTIC EXTRACTOR SUPPLIERS 2009 (AXIAL AND CENTRIFUGAL) 34
TABLE 17: CENTRIFUGAL FAN SUPPLIERS 2009 (DOMESTIC AND NON-DOMESTIC) 35
CHART 18: VENTILATION MARKET - DISTRIBUTION 2009 BY VALUE 39
TABLE 19: THE UK AIR CONDITIONING MARKET 2004-2014 £M MSP 42
CHART 20: THE UK AIR CONDITIONING MARKET, CONSTANT 2005 PRICES (£M) 2004 TO 2014 43
CHART 21: MIX OF AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS BY VALUE 2009 45
CHART 22: MIX OF AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS BY VALUE 1993 TO 2009 46
TABLE 23: UK PACKAGED AIR CONDITIONING MARKET 2004-2014 47
CHART 24: MIX OF PAC SYSTEM SALES BY VALUE 2009 48
TABLE 25: THE UK CENTRAL STATION AIR CONDITIONING MARKET 2004-2014 49
CHART 26: MIX OF CENTRAL STATION PRODUCTS BY VALUE - 2009 50
CHART 27: MIX OF TERMINAL UNIT SALES 1990 AND 2009 BY VALUE £M MSP 51
TABLE 28: MARKET SHARE IN THE PAC SYSTEM MARKET BY VALUE – 2009 53
TABLE 29: MARKET SHARE IN THE CENTRAL STATION MARKET BY VALUE – 2007 54
TABLE 30: THE UK MARKET FOR VENTILATING AND AIR CONDITIONING ACCESSORIES 2004–2014 (£M MSP) 61
CHART 31: THE UK MARKET FOR VENTILATING AND AIR CONDITIONING ACCESSORIES 2004–2014 £M MSP 63
TABLE 32: MIX OF VENTILATING AND AIR CONDITIONING ACCESSORIES BY VALUE 2009 64
The UK ventilation and air conditioning market is estimated to be worth some £0.95 billion in 2009, having declined by an estimated 17% in the 2008-2009 period. The core product sectors include air conditioning, with an estimated 52% share, ventilation with a 19% share and accessories with the balance.
Market decline in 2009 has been significant, reflecting the impact of the global economic crisis on the UK economy and on UK construction and engineering in particular. While the onset of the recession and construction downturn represented the principal adverse factors impacting on the market in 2008/9, financing constraints also impacted negatively on the market while anecdotal evidence suggests that the deferment of orders from 2009 in to 2010 also contributed to the market decline.
However, many sectors of the market were sustained by positive levels of exports and after-market sales, reflecting the relatively high installed base of ventilation and air conditioning products in the UK market (and overseas). It is also likely that the cumulative impact of raw material, refrigerant and energy price rises will tend to add value to the overall market in the medium to long term.
Infrastructure opportunities include the £16 billion Crossrail Project which is likely to provide substantial long term opportunities for the ventilation and ventilation accessories sectors with around 22 tunnels to be ventilated in addition to stations and associated ducting runs.
In addition to the imminent public capital expenditure cuts, a negative impact in the domestic sector is represented by the continuing reduction in personal disposable income and in house moving levels which tends to adversely impact on the level of demand for ventilation and air conditioning products in particular. The reported shortage of technically qualified air conditioning engineers is likely to represent a significant constraint, in terms of market development, in the future.
Current forecasts indicate that the UK market is likely to grow fractionally through to 2014, reaching a value of around £1.01 billion. This is slightly better than the overall forecasts for the construction industry, reflecting the greater and increasing emphasis on sustainability, efficiency and effectiveness of building services.
- Airedale International Air Conditioning
- Airflow Developments Ltd
- Alfa Laval
- Andrews Air Conditioning
- Benson Environmental Ltd
- Broughton Electro Air Products
- CIAT Ozonair
- Clivet Aircon
- Colt Group Ltd
- Daikin Airconditioning UK
- Dunham Bush Ltd
- Eaton-Williams Group
- EBM-Papst UK
- Elta Fans Ltd
- Emerson Climate Technologies
- Fan Systems Group
- Flakt Woods
- Fujitsu General
- Greenwood Air Management
- Halifax Fan
- Hitachi Europe
- Howden Group
- Hubbard Products
- ICS Group
- Ingersoll Rand Limited
- ITHO Ventilation Ltd
- J and E Hall
- Johnson and Starley
- Johnson Controls
- Lennox Industries
- LG Air Conditioning
- Manrose Manufacturing
- Mansfield Pollard
- Megafan Technologies
- Mitsubishi Electric Air Conditioning Systems Europe
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Europe Ltd
- Nuaire Group
- Panasonic UK
- Parker Hannifin RAC
- Rittal Holdings
- Soler and Palau UK
- Stiebel Eltron
- Systemair UK
- TCI (Transtherm Cooling Industries Limited)
- The London Fan Company
- Tomkins Plc Air distribution
- Torin Sifan
- Toshiba Carrier UK
- Trox UK
- Vectaire Ltd
- Vent Axia Group
- Volution Holdings
- Xpelair Ltd
- Ziehl-Abegg UK