- Language: English
- 97 Pages
- Published: August 2012
- Region: United Kingdom
Door and Window Fabricators Market - UK 2011-2015
- Published: January 2011
- Region: United Kingdom
- 94 pages
- AMA Research
The fourth edition of the report “Door and Window Fabricators Market – UK 2011-2015” incorporates original input and primary research, it represents an up-to-date and informed report on the fabrication sector, covering both the residential and non-domestic markets, and reviewing prospects through to 2015.
Key issues included are:
- Residential Windows and Doors, Conservatories, Commercial Windows, Curtain Wall, Ground Floor Treatments, Roof Glazing etc.
- Analysis of product sectors by frame material and by application covering home improvement, housebuilding, private sector, public sector and private commercial and industrial markets.
- Extensive coverage of suppliers in the door and window manufacturing/ fabrication industry including retail glazing companies, trade PVC-U systems fabricators, joinery manufacturers, aluminium systems fabricators, and specialist manufacturers.
- 2009/10 has proved to be a difficult period for the glazing industry, with pressures on volumes and margins in most product sectors. Prospects for 2011-12 remain difficult and will be dependent on a recovery in new build (both residential and non-domestic) and growing consumer and business confidence stimulating demand in the replacement market.
Of particular interest:
- Market activity levels over 2009-10 with a review of key market drivers.
- Material usage trends in key product sectors - market mixes by volume and value.
- Market trends in the private and public sectors, and new build & RMI.
- Extensive review of the fabricator market – recent changes in 2009/10.
- Market prospects for 2011-12 and longer term trends up to 2015.
A &B Glass, AC Yule, Advanced Group, AGS Home Improvements, Anglian Windows, Arran Isle Limited, Benlowe Group, Besam UK, Birtley Building Products Limited, Boon Edam UK, Bowater Building Products, Brett Martin Limited, Britannia Windows, Building Product Design, Burles Group, C R Smith, Cambrian Windows, Clement Windows Group, Crittall Windows, Crystal Clear (Manufacturing), Crystal Windows and Doors, CWG Choices Ltd, Dane Architectural Systems Limited, Dempsey Dyer, Distinction Doors, Dorma UK, Duplus Architectural Systems, Emplas Window Systems, English Architectural Glazing (EAG), Epwin Group, Exterior Profiles, EYG (East Yorkshire Glazing), Focchi Ltd, GBW, Geze UK, Graham Holmes Astraseal, Griffin Windows, Grosvenor Windows, Grouphomesafe, Hallmark Panels, Hambleside Danelaw, HansenGroup, Horton Automatics, Howarth Timber Group, Howdens Joinery, Hurst Plastics, HW Architectural, IG Doors, Indigo Windows, Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies, JELD-WEN, Kaba Door Systems, Latium Group (including Everest, Zenith, Staybrite, Weatherseal), Lister Trade Frames, Manse Masterdor Ltd, McMullen Architectural Systems, Mero-Schmidlin (UK), New World Developments, Nova Group, Parry Bowen, Pendle Doors Ltd, Performance Window Group, Permasteelisa UK, Piper Double Glazing, Premdor, Premier Manufacturing Ltd, Rockdoor, Safestyle UK, Sash UK, Scotia Double Glazing, Seele UK, Shelforce, Shepley Windows and Conservatories, Sierra Windows, Solaglas Ltd, Sovereign Group, Space Decks Ltd, Stoakes Systems, Structal UK, Swift Frame, The Camden Group, The GAC Group, The Omega Group, Tormax, Ubbink (UK), Vista Panels plc, West Leigh, Whiteline Group, Wright Style, Xtralite.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Overall door and window fabricators market size and market mix by value – key general trends and underlying market drivers from 2004-2010 and forecasts of future trends to 2015.
- Analysis of residential windows sector by volume and value 2004-2015. Focus on both newbuild and replacement markets, analysis by frame material and end-user sector. Review of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of commercial windows sector by value 2004-2015. Key market drivers. Mix by frame material.
- Analysis of residential entrance doors sector by volume and value 2004-2015 - focus on both newbuild and replacement markets with each segmented by frame material and end-user sector. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of patio door sector by volume and value 2004-2015. Focus on both newbuild and replacement markets with each segmented by frame material and end-user sector. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of domestic conservatory sector by volume and value. Segmentation by frame material. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of curtain wall sector by value 2004-2015. Key market drivers. Mix by frame material.
- Analysis of roof glazing and ground floor treatment sectors by value 2004-2015. Key market drivers.
SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- Analysis of door and window fabrication sectors: - retail glazing companies, PVC-U systems fabricators, aluminium systems fabricators, steel framed glazing manufacturers, timber window manufacturers and specialist suppliers, (e.g. pre-fabricated rooflights manufacturers, bespoke contractors and composite door manufacturers). Changes in supply structure in 2009/10.
- Review of retail glazing sector -market shares for leading companies. Changes in market structure.
- Review of PVC-U fabricator sector split between trade fabricators and fabricator/installers. Turnover and volume output estimates for leading companies. Changes in structure and the growth in the 'super-fabricator' sector. Activity and performance summaries for leading companies.
- Review of aluminium systems fabrication sector. Activity and performance summaries for leading companies.
- Review of activities and performance of other leading manufacturers from other sectors including bespoke specialists, joinery, steel windows, rooflights and composite doors etc.
- Market prospects in 2011-12 - key drivers in door & window fabricators market and longer term prospects. Key growth sectors.
- Overall trends in glazing industry – materials, sectors etc.
- Impact of changes on market structures.
SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
4. THE MARKET
4.1 MARKET SIZE
4.1.1 Market Definition
4.1.2 Market Background
4.1.3 Market Trends
5. PRODUCT MIX
5.1 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2 RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS
5.2.1 Overall UK Market for Residential Windows
5.2.2 Replacement Market for Residential Windows
5.2.3 Distribution by Sector
5.2.4 Newbuild Market for Residential Windows
5.3 COMMERCIAL WINDOWS
5.4 RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS
5.4.1 Overall Market for Residential Entrance Doors
5.4.2 Replacement Market for Residential Entrance Doors
5.4.3 Newbuild Market for Residential Entrance Doors
5.5 CURTAIN WALL
5.6 PATIO DOORS
5.6.1 Overall Market for Patio Doors
5.6.2 Patio Door Market Volumes
5.6.3 Patio Door Frame Materials
5.8 GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS
5.9 ROOF GLAZING
6. SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
6.1 RETAIL GLAZING COMPANIES
6.2 PVC-U SYSTEMS FABRICATORS
6.2.1 Leading PVC-U Systems Fabricators
6.3 JOINERY MANUFACTURERS
6.4 ALUMINIUM SYSTEMS FABRICATORS
6.5 STEEL WINDOWS MANUFACTURERS
6.6.1 Bespoke Façade and Roof Glazing Companies
6.6.2 Composite Door Manufacturers
6.6.3 Rooflight Manufacturers
6.6.4 Glazed Commercial Entrance Door Systems Suppliers
CHART 1: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2014 10
CHART 2: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2014 12
TABLE 3: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2004-2010 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 14
CHART 4: AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 (‘000) 15
TABLE 5: THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET £M AT TRADE PRICES 2005-2015 21
CHART 6: THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET – SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP (RESI WINDOWS, COMMERCIAL / ROOF GLAZING, CURTAIN WALLING, PATIO/RESI DOORS, CONSERVATORIES ETC. - £M AT TRADE PRICES 2000-2010 EST 23
CHART 7: HOUSEBUILDING MARKET IN ENGLAND – MIX OF HOUSES / FLATS 2001-2010 % MIX BY VOLUME 25
CHART 8: HOUSEBUILDING MARKET IN ENGLAND – MIX BY NUMBER OF BEDROOMS 1999-2009 - PERCENTAGE BY VOLUME 26
CHART 9: UK FABRICATORS MARKET BY PRODUCT SECTOR AT TRADE PRICES 2010 32
TABLE 10: UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS BY VOLUME AND VALUE AT TRADE PRICES 2005 -2015 35
CHART 11: HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION LEVEL OF ANY TYPE OF DOUBLE-GLAZING 1981 - 2009 36
CHART 12: UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS BY VOLUME BY SECTOR - 2010 36
CHART 13: VALUE OF REPLACEMENT WINDOWS BY SECTOR 2009 38
CHART 14: MIX OF REPLACEMENT WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL 1986, 1992, 1998, 2004 AND 2009 BY VALUE 40
CHART 15: UK SOCIAL HOUSING DWELLING STOCKS BY OWNERSHIP, 2002-2008 42
TABLE 16: TOP 30 HA GROUPS IN ENGLAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED (2009) 43
TABLE 17: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY VALUE £M AT TRADE PRICES - 2005-2015 46
CHART 18: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL BY VALUE AT INSTALLED PRICES 47
TABLE 19: UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS BY VOLUME & VALUE AT TRADE PRICES 2005 -2015 48
CHART 20: UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS BY APPLICATION BY VOLUME 2010 49
CHART 21: MIX OF RESIDENTIAL DOORS BY FRAME MATERIAL 1986, 1992, 1998, 2004 AND 2009 BY VALUE 50
CHART 22: NEW HOUSING ENTRANCE DOOR FRAME MATERIALS 1995 TO 2008 (ESTIMATED % BY VOLUME) 52
TABLE 23: THE UK FABRICATORS MARKET FOR CURTAIN WALL BY VALUE AT TRADE PRICES 2005-2015 54
TABLE 24: UK MARKET FOR PATIO DOORS BY VOLUME AND VALUE AT TRADE PRICES - 2005-2015 56
CHART 25: UK MARKET FOR PATIO DOORS BY APPLICATION BY VOLUME 2010 57
TABLE 26: PATIO DOOR MARKET - VOLUME BY SECTOR 2005-2015 58
CHART 27: MIX OF REPLACEMENT PATIO DOORS BY FRAME MATERIAL 1986, 1992, 1998, 2004 AND 2009 BY VALUE 59
TABLE 28: UK CONSERVATORY MARKET BY VOLUME AND VALUE AT TRADE PRICES 2004-2015 61
CHART 29: UK MARKET - FRAME MATERIALS USED FOR CONSERVATORIES 2009 – ESTIMATES BY VOLUME 62
TABLE 30: THE UK MARKET FOR GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS BY VALUE AT TRADE PRICES 2005-2012 63
TABLE 31: UK MARKET FOR ROOF GLAZING BY MATERIAL VALUE AT TRADE PRICES - 2005-2015 65
CHART 32: UK REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW RETAIL SHARES BY VALUE 2010 68
TABLE 33: RETAIL MARKET SHARE - BY VALUE 2009 68
TABLE 34: LEADING 'SUPER-FABRICATORS’ - BY TURNOVER AND APPROXIMATE WEEKLY OUTPUT 73
There are several limitations in assessing the window and door fabrication market – differences in product definition, residential and commercial sector variations, market volatility, level of vertical integration in fabrication and installation, glazed / unglazed supply etc. However, given these limitations, we estimate that, at trade prices, the windows and doors fabrication market was worth around £ 2.1 billion in 2010. Defining factors in this market in 2010 are: market maturity, fragmentation, competition, cost-management, building legislation, ‘green’ building, austerity and diversification.
There is significant over-capacity in the industry resulting in an intensely competitive market, especially in the PVC-U sector - prices and margins remain under pressure as companies compete for business. Whilst some improvement has been seen in the new build sector, the commercial and domestic RMI markets are less strong in 2010. The market is still difficult, with this mature and declining market still suffering from a range of additional difficulties.
In 2010, the range of products available is much wider, as fabricators have had to respond to the changed character of the market – a market in which there are fewer opportunities and where fabricators (and systems companies) have had to offer a wider range.
The supply sector remains very fragmented as it comprises vertically integrated retail glazing companies, PVC-U trade fabricators and fabricator/installers, aluminium systems fabricator/installers, bespoke glazing contractors, composite door manufacturers, commercial glazed door manufacturers, roof light manufacturers, steel window manufacturers and major joinery companies. There has been consolidation across the board with notable changes in the retail and trade fabrication sectors.
In 2010/11 this market remains fragile and with additional pressures set to come into play in this market – public sector cuts to building programmes, job cuts etc – the coming year looks likely to be another difficult year. The effects of over-capacity will reduce in the short-medium term as a result of mergers/acquisitions and business failures. The companies that remain will be leaner and will be serving a smaller but more diverse market than previously.
In the new build market prospects for 2011 and beyond are for steady improvement, though a return to the levels seen in 2007 is unlikely in the short-medium term. Prospects for the private domestic RMI market for 2011 and beyond, are for some improvement, given general economic improvement, but this remains a market under severe strain. Over the next 5 years, however, we anticipate that public sector RMI spending will reduce.
The commercial market overall is expected to continue to suffer a downturn for the short to medium term, with a return to growth overall not anticipated until at least 2014. The education and health sectors, which have helped underpin the sector in recent years, will have spending cut in the next few years. The office sector, which has been one of the severest hit by a downturn in both RMI and new build, is likely to stablise in the short–medium term but we do not anticipate any significant rise in value by 2014. The retail sector is likely to revive along with consumer spending in the medium term. The entertainment, leisure sectors and the industrial sectors are expected to remain subdued – though leisure should experience some reasonable activity from refeurbishment projects leading up to the 2012 Olympics.
- A &B Glass
- AC Yule
- Advanced Group
- AGS Home Improvements
- Anglian Windows
- Arran Isle Limited
- Benlowe Group
- Besam UK
- Birtley Building Products Limited
- Boon Edam UK
- Bowater Building Products
- Brett Martin Limited
- Britannia Windows
- Building Product Design
- Burles Group
- C R Smith
- Cambrian Windows
- Clement Windows Group
- Crittall Windows
- Crystal Clear (Manufacturing)
- Crystal Windows and Doors
- CWG Choices Ltd
- Dane Architectural Systems Limited
- Dempsey Dyer
- Distinction Doors
- Dorma UK
- Duplus Architectural Systems
- Emplas Window Systems
- English Architectural Glazing (EAG)
- Epwin Group
- Exterior Profiles
- EYG (East Yorkshire Glazing)
- Focchi Ltd
- Geze UK
- Graham Holmes Astraseal
- Griffin Windows
- Grosvenor Windows
- Hallmark Panels
- Hambleside Danelaw
- Horton Automatics
- Howarth Timber Group
- Howdens Joinery
- Hurst Plastics
- HW Architectural
- IG Doors
- Indigo Windows
- Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies
- Kaba Door Systems
- Latium Group (including Everest
- Lister Trade Frames
- Manse Masterdor Ltd
- McMullen Architectural Systems
- Mero-Schmidlin (UK)
- New World Developments
- Nova Group
- Parry Bowen
- Pendle Doors Ltd
- Performance Window Group
- Permasteelisa UK
- Piper Double Glazing
- Premier Manufacturing Ltd
- Safestyle UK
- Sash UK
- Scotia Double Glazing
- Seele UK
- Shepley Windows and Conservatories
- Sierra Windows
- Solaglas Ltd
- Sovereign Group
- Space Decks Ltd
- Stoakes Systems
- Structal UK
- Swift Frame
- The Camden Group
- The GAC Group
- The Omega Group
- Ubbink (UK)
- Vista Panels plc
- West Leigh
- Whiteline Group
- Wright Style