• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Floorcoverings Market - UK 2011-2015
AMA Research, February 2011, Pages: 113
The 10th edition of the report ‘Floorcoverings Market – UK 2011-2015' includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that continue to impact on the market.
The report contains:
- A DETAILED ASSESSMENT OF THE MARKET - analysis of major developments and current and future trends.
- REVIEW OF KEY MATERIAL AND SECTOR TRENDS – carpets, wood/laminates, vinyl, ceramic tiles & natural stone, others.
- REVIEW OF SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE – effects of corporate realignment of some key floorcoverings products, changes to key retail channels, etc.
- FORECASTS OF MARKET DEVELOPMENTS UP TO 2015.
Recessionary pressures in key end-use sectors of the floorcoverings market since 2008 has seen market value decline to around £1.8bn in 2010. The domestic sector has been particularly hard hit by the downturn in new housebuilding, whilst key commercial sectors such as offices and retail have also been badly hit by falling new build output 2009-10.
Carpet remains the dominant floorcovering product, with share more stable in recent years. Wood floorcoverings have also experienced more difficult conditions 2008-10 with the volume laminate sector particularly affected by the slowing housing market. In contrast, vinyls has performed relatively well, underpinned by sustained demand for higher value contract vinyls from sectors such as education and health.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Overall market decline in 2008-10 caused by significantly lower demand in both contract and domestic sectors.
- Value of carpet market particularly affected by decline in the housing market.
- Relatively robust performance of vinyl sector underpinned by demand from health and education, however both sectors are facing much tougher conditions into the medium-term.
- Impact of public sector spending cuts on floorcoverings market.
- Distribution structure for floorcoverings remains fragmented.
Abingdon Flooring, AIREA plc, Altro, Amtico International , Armstrong UK, Atkinson and Kirby, Axminster Carpets, Balta Group, Balterio, Beaulieu International Group (BIG), BHK (UK), Brintons, Burmafloors International, Carpetright plc, Cavalier Carpets, Cormar Carpets, Desso, Ege Carpets Egger, Finnforest, Floors-2-Go, Fludes, Forbo Flooring UK, Gerflor Ltd, Greenwood and Coope Headlam Group, InterfaceFLOR, IVC, Junckers, Kährs Group, Karndean International, Kronospan, Landsdon Group, Milliken Carpet Europe, Pergo, Polyflor, Responsive Designs, Rovers Flooring, Tarkett Group, Tileflair, Topps Tiles, Ulster Carpet Mills, Unilin, United Carpets, Victoria Carpets, Westco, Whitestone Weavers.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Total Floorcoverings Market – analysis of size by value, historical trends and market characteristics.
- Analysis by major product sectors – carpets, wood & laminate, vinyls, ceramic tile & natural stone, linoleum, – mix changes, driving factors etc.
- Review of key products included in each sector.
- Review of key market influences – housebuilding, construction, trends in domestic/contract applications. Overview of domestic and contract sectors.
- Future Prospects – estimates of overall market performance in 2011-15.
- Carpets – product mix (tufted, woven, fibre bonded and non-woven) market size by value 2005-10, factors influencing market performance, international trade in carpets, key suppliers to the UK Carpet market, future prospects to 2015.
- Wood & Laminates – changes to product mix in recent years, factors affecting recent market performance, domestic and contract end-use mix, market size by value 2005-10, key suppliers and distribution channels, market outlook to 2015.
- Vinyls – market size by value 2005-10, key trends influencing recent market behaviour, end-use sector mix, recycling initiatives influencing market, profiles of key suppliers to the UK vinyl floorcovering market, future prospects to 2015.
- Ceramic Tiles & Natural Stone – market size by value 2005-10, factors continuing to influence demand for tile and stone floorcoverings in both domestic and contract end-use sectors, key suppliers, outlook for market to 2015.
- Others – definition of key products such as linoleum, cork, rubber, etc, recent sector performance, key influencing factors, prospects to 2015.
- Domestic Distribution - definitions, market shares by major channel – Multiples, Independents, Specialists, DIY, Builders Merchants, Department Stores, Mail Order, Internet, etc – areas of growth and decline, major companies within each channel.
- Contract Distribution – mix by major channel – healthcare, education, commercial, retail, industrial, leisure, areas of growth and decline – future prospects.
- Key growth areas – prospects for 2011 and up to 2015.
- Key developments in the major product and market sectors.
- Review of key factors impacting the market.
1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
4. FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET
4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2.1 Current Situation
4.3 PRODUCT MIX
4.3.1 Mix by Volume
4.4 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS
4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
4.5.1 The Housing Market
4.5.2 Construction output
5.2 MARKET SIZE AND CHARACTERISTICS
5.2.1 Market Size
5.2.2 Market Characteristics
5.2.3 Current Situation
5.2.4 Future Prospects
5.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
5.4 CARPET PRODUCT MIX
5.4.1 Tufted Carpet
5.4.2 Woven Carpets
5.4.3 Fibre Bonded Carpets
5.5 CARPET TILES & RUGS
5.5.1 Carpet Tiles
5.6 CARPET SUPPLIERS
5.6.1 Market Shares
6. WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS
6.2 MARKET SIZE
6.2.1 Current Situation
6.3 PRODUCT MIX
6.4 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS
6.5 END USE SECTORS
6.6 FUTURE PROSPECTS
6.7 KEY SUPPLIERS
6.7.1 Market Share
6.7.2 Key Suppliers
7. VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS
7.2 MARKET SIZE
7.2.1 Current Situation
7.2.2 Future Prospects
7.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
7.4 PRODUCT MIX
7.5 END-USE SECTORS
7.5.1 Contract Vinyl Sector
7.5.2 The Domestic Sector
8. OTHER FLOORCOVERINGS
8.1.1 Product Mix
8.2 CERAMIC TILES
8.2.1 Market Overview
8.2.2 International Trade
8.2.3 Suppliers of Ceramic Tiles
8.3 NATURAL STONE
8.3.1 Market Overview
8.4.1 Market Overview
8.4.2 International Trade
8.5 OTHER FLOORCOVERINGS
8.5.3 Leather and Bamboo
9.2 CONTRACT FLOORCOVERINGS DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
9.2.1 Contract Floorcoverings Distribution Channels
9.3 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION
9.3.1 Domestic Distribution Channel Share
9.3.2 Floorcoverings Multiples
9.3.3 Furnishing and Floorcoverings Independents
9.3.4 DIY Multiples
9.3.5 Furniture and Furnishing Multiples
9.3.6 Department Stores & Variety Stores
9.3.7 Mail Order and “Others”
9.4 DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS
9.4.1 Major Wholesalers/Distributors
CHART 1: UK MARKET FOR FLOORCOVERINGS 2005-2015 – BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 8
CHART 2: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2014 13
CHART 3: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2014 15
TABLE 4: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2004-2010 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
CHART 5: AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 (‘000) 18
CHART 6: UK MARKET FOR FLOORCOVERINGS 2005-2015 – BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 21
TABLE 7: UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2005 AND 2010 - % BY VALUE 24
CHART 8: UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET PRODUCT MIX BY VOLUME 2010 - % BY VOLUME (M SQ M) 25
TABLE 9: HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2005-2009 UNITED KINGDOM ('000) 28
TABLE 10: NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS UK 2006 TO 2010 (‘000) 29
TABLE 11: UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2004 TO 2009 – BY VALUE (£MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 30
CHART 12: UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2009 - % BY VALUE 31
CHART 13: UK MARKET FOR CARPET 2005-2015 – BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 33
CHART 14: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CARPETS 2005 TO 2009 – BY VALUE (£MILLION) 38
TABLE 15: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CARPETS 2005 TO 2009 – BY VOLUME (MILLION SQUARE METRES) 39
TABLE 16: PRODUCT MIX FOR UK CARPET IMPORTS 2009 AND Q1 TO Q3 2010 – BY VALUE (£M) AND % BY VALUE 40
TABLE 17: PRODUCT MIX FOR UK CARPET EXPORTS 2007 AND 2009 - % BY VALUE 42
TABLE 18: UK CARPET MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2010 - % BY VALUE AND VOLUME 43
CHART 19: UK MARKET FOR TUFTED CARPETS 2005 TO 2010 – BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND VOLUME (M SQ M) 45
CHART 20: UK MARKET FOR WOVEN CARPET 2005-2015 – BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 46
TABLE 21: MARKET SHARES FOR CARPET MANUFACTURERS % BY VALUE 2010 52
CHART 22: UK MARKET FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2005-2015 – BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 57
CHART 23: UK MARKET FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2010 - % BY VALUE 59
CHART 24: MARKET PERFORMANCE OF SOLID/ENGINEERED WOOD AND LAMINATES 2005 TO 2015 – BY VALUE (£M MSP) 61
CHART 25: UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET – END USE APPLICATION MIX 2010 - % BY VALUE 64
TABLE 26: LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE TOTAL UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 2010 67
CHART 27: UK MARKET FOR VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS 2005-2015 – BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 72
TABLE 28: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN VINYL WALL, CEILING AND FLOORCOVERINGS 2005 TO 2009 – BY VALUE (£M) 76
CHART 29: VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2010 - % BY VALUE 77
CHART 30: UK VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET END-USE SECTOR MIX 2010 - % BY VALUE 78
TABLE 31: UK VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS END-USE SECTOR MIX 1999, 2001, 2008 AND 2010 - % BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MSP) 79
TABLE 32: UK MARKET FOR CONTRACT VINYL PRODUCT MIX 1998, 2006 AND 2010 - % BY VALUE 81
TABLE 33: UK SUPPLIERS OF VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS - % SHARE BY VALUE 2010 84
CHART 34: UK MARKET FOR OTHER FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2010 - (% BY VALUE) 88
CHART 35: UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC FLOOR TILES 2005-2015 – BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 89
TABLE 36: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CERAMIC TILES 2005 TO 2009 – BY VALUE (£MILLION) 91
TABLE 37: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN LINOLEUM FLOORCOVERINGS 2005 TO 2010 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION) 95
CHART 38: MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR THE UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 101
TABLE 39: CONTRACT FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET KEY DISTRIBUTION ROUTES – BY PRODUCT 103
TABLE 40: DISTRIBUTION OF DOMESTIC FLOORCOVERINGS 20010 - % SHARE BY VALUE 105
TABLE 41: RETAIL SALE OF CARPETS, RUGS AND WALL COVERINGS – NUMBER OF ORGANISATIONS BY TURNOVER BAND 108
Following moderate rates of growth 2005-07, the UK floorcoverings market experienced a significant value decline of around 18% in the 2008-10 period, with market value of just under £1.8bn. Decline has been experienced in all sectors, but rates of decline have varied considerably with vinyl recording the most positive performance.
The floorcoverings market has suffered from lower demand in both domestic and contract sectors in 2009-10 leading to significant value decline. The domestic market has been particularly subdued with housebuilding and house moving levels falling by up to 50% from their 2007 peak, depressing demand for floorcoverings such as carpet and laminates.
The contract sector has also been less positive 2009-10, with a significant decline in demand from key sectors such as offices and retail, although some public sectors have remained fairly positive to date – eg health and education.
The overall floorcoverings market has remained under significant price pressures throughout the period with manufacturers in some sectors unwilling or unable to pass on increased costs to consumers. Pricing pressure has also become more apparent in the contract sector, resulting in some product substitution and specification switches for interior finishing trades, such as flooring, as main contractors strive to reduce costs.
The floorcoverings product mix has remained relatively stable with only moderate changes experienced by the major products groups since 2008 – perhaps indicating that the major product groups are establishing their own relative strengths in key end-use markets and applications.
Carpet dominates the product mix with estimated value share of 56% in 2010, down from 57% in 2008. Wood flooring has also suffered slight share decline with reducing sales for laminates 2007-10 and value decline of 30% over the period. In contrast, vinyl has performed relatively well with value decline of only 5% 2008-10 with buoyant demand from health and education helping to sustain the market.
There has been some changes in distribution of domestic floorcoverings with the demise of Allied Carpets and its renewal as a much smaller organisation. In addition, other channels have continued to change their product ranges - particularly for laminates and vinyl.
Into Q1 2011, the prospects for the overall floorcoverings market are mixed. The market is forecast to achieve value growth of around 3-4% in 2012 as key sectors benefit from the refurbishment activities surrounding the Olympic Games. However, further recovery in the housing market and key commercial sectors is likely to be tempered by significant budgets in public sector capital budgets from mid-2011 onwards, resulting in more moderate value gains for floorcoverings to 2015 when value is forecast to achieve £1.9bn.
- Abingdon Flooring
- AIREA plc
- Amtico International
- Armstrong UK
- Atkinson and Kirby
- Axminster Carpets
- Balta Group
- Beaulieu International Group (BIG)
- BHK (UK)
- Burmafloors International
- Carpetright plc
- Cavalier Carpets
- Cormar Carpets
- Ege Carpets Egger
- Forbo Flooring UK
- Gerflor Ltd
- Greenwood and Coope Headlam Group
- Kährs Group
- Karndean International
- Landsdon Group
- Milliken Carpet Europe
- Responsive Designs
- Rovers Flooring
- Tarkett Group
- Topps Tiles
- Ulster Carpet Mills
- United Carpets
- Victoria Carpets
- Whitestone Weavers