• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Industry Report Card: Latin American Banks Are Better Positioned To Face The Global Financial Crisis Than Their International Peers Apr 09
Standard & Poors, April 2009
So far, most Latin American banks have been able to manage their way through the global financial crisis. The factors allowing them to fare better than many of their peers in the more developed countries include their low dependence on external funding and sustained adequate liquidity, as well as their avoidance of more problematic financial products, such as subprime mortgages. Although funding costs have generally been rising, Standard & Poor's Ratings Services believes the global risk aversion has also helped widen credit spreads. While we expect the performance of Latin American banks to vary during 2009 (depending on their type of business, risk management practices, and strategies), we believe most of them will still show adequate results. However, the adverse...
Standard and Poors RatingsXpress Credit Research provides in-depth coverage of international corporates, financial institutions, insurance companies, utilities, sovereigns and structured finance programs. RatingsXpress Credit Research lets users determine the credit rating of holdings and identify key factors underlying an issuer's creditworthiness, distinguishes the different risk exposures for new and existing deals, and provides an understanding of how their analysts interpret key regulatory, political and environmental events and their economic impact.
Research Type: Commentary
Criteria articles describe the thought process and methodology Standard & Poor's analysts use in determining ratings. These commentary pieces discuss both the quantitative (economic and financial) and qualitative (business analysis and caliber of management) aspects of the analysis, as well as legal issues.
- Brazil (Federative Republic of)
- Chile (Republic of)
- Banco Nacional de Mexico S.A.
- Argentina (Republic of) (Unsolicited Ratings)
- Banco Latinoamericano de Comercio Exterior S.A.
- Uruguay (Oriental Republic of)
- Banco del Estado de Chile
- BBVA Bancomer S.A.
- Banco Mercantil del Norte S.A. Institucion de Banca Multiple Grupo Financiero Banorte
- Banco de Chile
- Banco Safra S.A.
- Banco Bradesco S.A.
- Banco Citibank S.A.
- HSBC Mexico S.A.
- Banco de Credito del Peru
- Banco Hipotecario S.A.
- Banco Inbursa S.A. Institucion de Banca Multiple Grupo Financiero Inbursa
- Banco Santander-Chile S.A.
- Itau Unibanco Holding S.A.
- Peru (Republic of)
- Bolivia (Plurinational State of)
- Banco Mercantil Santa Cruz S.A.
- HSBC Bank Brasil S.A.
- Banco Patagonia S.A.
- ING Bank Mexico S.A.
- Banco Itau BBA S.A.
- Banco Votorantim S.A.
- Banco do Brasil S.A
- Banco Santander (Brasil) S.A.
- Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria Uruguay
- Cooperativa Del Personal de La Universidad de Chile Ltda-Coopeuch Ltda
- Scotiabank Inverlat, S.A.
- Banco Security
- Banco Mercantil Do Brasil S.A.
- Banco Indusval & Partners S.A.
- Banco Santander (Mexico) S.A. Institucion de Banca Multiple Grupo Financiero Santander
- Parana Banco S.A
- Banco Daycoval S.A.
- IXE Banco S.A. Institución de Banca Múltiple, Grupo Financiero Banorte
- Banco Pine S.A.
- Banco Industrial e Comercial S.A.
- Banco Nossa Caixa S.A.
- Banco Rural S.A.
- BBVA Banco Continental
- Discount Bank Latin America S.A.
- Corpbanca S.A.
- Banco BMG S.A.
- Banco Fibra S.A.
- Banca Mifel S.A.
- Banco IBI S.A. - Banco Multiplo