Industry Report Card: Southeast Asian Banks Positioning For Growth From Economic Recovery Oct 10
- ID: 1782784
- October 2010
- Region: Asia
- Standard & Poors
Southeast Asian banks are jostling for position in the race to take advantage of the rapid recovery in most Asian economies. This is a stark contrast to the challenging external conditions in 2009. Earnings and nonperforming loans for most banks have returned to, or even exceeded, 2007 levels. As banks switch to growth mode from defensive, they must grapple with competition again, especially in more mature domestic markets such as Singapore and Malaysia. Some Southeast Asian banks have tried to diversify by expanding their presence in emerging markets such as Indonesia, which offers higher growth, but also potentially higher credit risks if not properly managed. In Standard & Poor's Ratings Services' opinion, most Southeast Asian banking systems (except Vietnam and...
Standard and Poors RatingsXpress Credit Research provides in-depth coverage of international corporates, financial institutions, insurance companies, utilities, sovereigns and structured finance programs. RatingsXpress Credit Research lets users determine the credit rating of holdings and identify key factors underlying an issuer's creditworthiness, distinguishes the different risk exposures for new and existing deals, and provides an understanding of how their analysts interpret key regulatory, political and environmental events and their economic impact.
Research Type: Commentary
Criteria articles describe the thought process and methodology Standard & Poor's analysts use in determining ratings. These commentary pieces discuss both the quantitative (economic and financial) and qualitative (business analysis and caliber of management) aspects of the analysis, as well as legal issues.
- DBS Bank Ltd.
- Bangkok Bank Public Co. Ltd.
- KASIKORNBANK PCL
- Malayan Banking Bhd.
- Siam Commercial Bank Public Co. Ltd.
- PT Bank Danamon Indonesia Tbk.
- PT Bank Internasional Indonesia Tbk.
- United Overseas Bank Ltd.
- Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp. Ltd.
- Krung Thai Bank Public Co. Ltd.
- Bank of Ayudhya Public Co. Ltd.
- Public Bank Bhd.
- RHB Bank Bhd.
- CIMB Bank Bhd.
- Bank Indonesia
- PT Bank Negara Indonesia (Persero) Tbk.
- United Overseas Bank (Thai) Public Co. Ltd.
- Hong Leong Bank Bhd. (Unsolicited Ratings)
- AmInvestment Bank Bhd.
- Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam
- CIMB Investment Bank Bhd.
- CIMB Group Holding Bhd.
- ACLEDA Bank PLC
- Vietnam Technological And Commercial Joint Stock Bank
- PT Bank CIMB Niaga Tbk. (Unsolicited Ratings)
- TMB Bank Public Co. Ltd.
- Development Bank of the Philippines
- Metropolitan Bank & Trust Co. (Unsolicited Ratings)
- Philippine National Bank
- Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam
- PT Bank Mandiri (Persero)
- Banco De Oro Unibank Inc. (Unsolicited Ratings)
- AmBank (M) Bhd.