• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Life Insurance Outlook 2001: With Ongoing Pressure From Capital Markets, the Outlook Remains Negative Dec 00
Standard & Poors, December 2000
Standard & Poor's maintains its negative outlook on the U.S. life insurance industry for 2001 because the industry's very strong capital position is expected to diminish due to capital market pressures. Given the earnings pressures many companies face, Standard & Poor's expects life insurers to optimize their capital structures to improve their returns on equity (ROE). Inevitably, some companies will choose to reduce their capital adequacy to a level inconsistent with current ratings. Partly offsetting this concern is the expectation that the industry will continue to improve its fundamental earnings capabilities, mostly through more efficient operations. In addition, some modest improvement in life insurance premium growth is expected, which will reverse the trend in 1999, when premiums dropped slightly. As...
Standard and Poors RatingsXpress Credit Research provides in-depth coverage of international corporates, financial institutions, insurance companies, utilities, sovereigns and structured finance programs. RatingsXpress Credit Research lets users determine the credit rating of holdings and identify key factors underlying an issuer's creditworthiness, distinguishes the different risk exposures for new and existing deals, and provides an understanding of how their analysts interpret key regulatory, political and environmental events and their economic impact.
Research Type: Commentary
Criteria articles describe the thought process and methodology Standard & Poor's analysts use in determining ratings. These commentary pieces discuss both the quantitative (economic and financial) and qualitative (business analysis and caliber of management) aspects of the analysis, as well as legal issues.
- SunAmerica Financial Group Inc.
- Bank One Corp.
- Bank of New York Mellon Corp.
- Lincoln National Corp.
- Bank of America Corp.
- Nationwide Life Insurance Co.
- Northern Trust Corp.
- Wells Fargo & Co.
- PNC Financial Services Group
- Protective Life Corp.
- State Street Corp.
- Torchmark Corp.
- Transamerica Corp.
- Aetna Life Insurance Co.
- CIGNA Corp.
- Connecticut General Life Insurance Co.
- AXA Equitable Life Insurance Co.
- John Hancock Life Insurance Co.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co.
- Mellon Financial Corp.
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Co.
- Minnesota Life Insurance Co.
- MONY Life Insurance Co.
- New York Life Insurance Co.
- Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co.
- Prudential Insurance Co. of America
- MetLife Insurance Co. of Connecticut
- Fifth Third Bancorp
- Protective Life Insurance Co.
- Hartford Life Insurance Co.
- CNO Financial Group Inc.
- Pacific Life Insurance Co.
- Principal Life Insurance Co.
- Lincoln National Life Insurance Co.
- Allstate Life Insurance Co.
- FleetBoston Financial Corp.
- Citigroup Inc.
- Jackson National Life Insurance Co.
- Teachers Insurance & Annuity Association of America
- Variable Annuity Life Insurance Co.
- Guardian Life Insurance Co. of America
- New York Life Insurance & Annuity Corp.
- Hartford Life and Annuity Insurance Co.
- Prudential Annuities Life Assurance Corp.
- American United Life Insurance Co.
- American Family Life Assurance Co. of Columbus
- RiverSource Life Insurance Co.
- Indianapolis Life Insurance Co.
- Lincoln Mutual Life & Casualty Insurance Co.
- John Hancock Group
- AXA Financial Inc.
- JPMorgan Commercial Mortgage Finance Corp.
- The Hanover Insurance Group Inc.
- Jefferson-Pilot Corp.
- Unum Group
- Nationwide Financial Services Inc.
- GE Financial Assurance Holdings Inc.
- AEGON Funding Company LLC
- Towneley Capital Management Inc.
- Aetna Inc.
- MONY Group Inc.
- MetLife Inc.
- John Hancock Financial Services Inc.
- Berkshire Life Insurance Co. of America
- Standard Life Insurance Co. of New York