• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Improving Profitability Remains Key Challenge For Japanese Banks Jan 09
Standard & Poors, January 2009
As financial institutions across the globe were dealt serious blows from the market turmoil in 2008, their Japanese counterparts remained relatively sound, with some major Japanese banking groups offering support to their overseas peers. Notwithstanding this, a key challenge for Japanese banks remains improving their profitability to secure the current advantages they have and to allow them to reap the benefits of these advantages over the next five to 10 years. Globally, downgrades among financial institutions surged in 2008, mainly in Europe and the U.S., and stood at a record 189 downgrades as of Sept. 30, 2008. This reflected Standard & Poor's view that unstable financial markets were causing an expansion of losses on securities holdings and loans, and that...
Standard and Poors RatingsXpress Credit Research provides in-depth coverage of international corporates, financial institutions, insurance companies, utilities, sovereigns and structured finance programs. RatingsXpress Credit Research lets users determine the credit rating of holdings and identify key factors underlying an issuer's creditworthiness, distinguishes the different risk exposures for new and existing deals, and provides an understanding of how their analysts interpret key regulatory, political and environmental events and their economic impact.
Research Type: Commentary
Criteria articles describe the thought process and methodology Standard & Poor's analysts use in determining ratings. These commentary pieces discuss both the quantitative (economic and financial) and qualitative (business analysis and caliber of management) aspects of the analysis, as well as legal issues.
- Shinsei Bank Ltd.
- Norinchukin Bank
- Daiwa Securities Group Inc.
- Aozora Bank Ltd.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank Ltd.
- Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corp.
- Hokuriku Bank Ltd.
- Shizuoka Bank Ltd.
- Chiba Bank Ltd.
- Ashikaga Bank Ltd.
- Gunma Bank Ltd.
- Nomura Trust & Banking Co. Ltd.
- Toho Bank Ltd.
- Iyo Bank Ltd.
- Bank of Yokohama Ltd. (Unsolicited Ratings)
- Hachijuni Bank Ltd.
- Nanto Bank Ltd.
- Daishi Bank Ltd. (Unsolicited Ratings)
- Bank of Kyoto Ltd.
- Hyakugo Bank Ltd.
- Hiroshima Bank Ltd. (Unsolicited Ratings)
- Bank of Fukuoka Ltd.
- Bank of Nagoya Ltd.
- Higo Bank Ltd.
- Hokkoku Bank Ltd.
- Kagoshima Bank Ltd.
- Shiga Bank Ltd.
- Yamaguchi Bank Ltd.
- Keiyo Bank Ltd.
- Chuo Mitsui Trust & Banking Co. Ltd.
- Bank of Iwate Ltd.
- Mizuho Trust & Banking Co. Ltd.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corp.
- Sony Bank Inc.
- Nomura Holdings Inc.
- Seven Bank Ltd.
- Mizuho Bank Ltd.
- Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd.
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc.
- Resona Bank Ltd.
- Mizuho Financial Group Inc.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group Inc.
- Japan Trustee Services Bank Ltd.
- Trust & Custody Services Bank Ltd.
- Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd.
- Citigroup Japan Holdings Corp.
- Joyo Bank Ltd. (Unsolicited Ratings)