• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Global Market Review of Performance Outdoor Apparel – Forecasts to 2016
just-style, May 2011, Pages: 51
This latest report from just-style is a brand new review of the global performance outdoor apparel market. It focuses on the market, fabrics, trends and companies active in the major segments of this major clothing sector.
Beginning with a market overview, the report defines what performance outdoor apparel is. Comparisons between performance outdoor apparel, performance sports apparel, and sportswear are provided, together with global market values of each, from 2004 to 2016. Regional market data is also provided for World, North America, Europe and Rest of world.
The sports and recreational uses of performance outdoor apparel
This chapter explores the various sports criteria and how performance outdoor apparel integrates within the overall apparel sector. Here, just-style ranks the most popular activities for outdoor performance wear worldwide. A matrix is provided that aligns apparel product categories with each sports/activity.
Performance outdoor apparel product category percentage retail value and volume share estimates are provided.
Outdoor apparel life cycles and performance characteristics
Product life cycle theory is explored in this chapter and applied to performance outdoor apparel. Performance characteristics and innovations are discussed by activity type.
Business approaches to "cold, hot, wet and windy"
One way of looking at approaches to these product-related elements, is to consider the manner in which retailers and branded companies attempt to pre-guess the questions that consumers may ask about their outdoor performance apparel. In this chapter, just-style has reviewed a number of frequently asked questions and compiled them into a typical company marketing statement, using the question and answer format.
Retailer and brand market positions in performance outdoor apparel
This chapter discusses the market positioning of performance outdoor apparel including niche marketing. The niches identified and profiled include: at-home outdoors, cold, heat, wet, breathability, warmth, colour fastness, fibre characteristics, and one all-purpose solutions.
Companies profiled include Jack Wolfskin, Columbia, Helly Hansen and PrimaLoft, Patagonia, The North Face.
The chapter also looks at brands, trademarks and intellectual property.
Construction, fabrics, fibres and finishes
A limited number of sewing construction elements feature again and again in the catalogues of all the best known performance outdoor apparel brands and retailers. These are all discussed and analysed in this chapter, with case studies and thoughts on general likely trends for the future.
This chapter includes exclusive interviews with Howard, Merrell and Partners (who manage the public relations of Cordura for Invista), FiberVisions, The North Face, and Huntsman Textile Effects.
Retail trends in performance outdoor apparel
This chapter summarises some of the interesting areas of outdoor apparel retailing and includes an interview with Jack Wolfskin.
The report offers conclusions on outdoor apparel retailing and brands' likely future.
Chapter 1: Market overview
- The market for performance apparel in general
- Performance apparel within active sportswear
- Total sports apparel
- Active sports apparel
- Performance outdoor within performance for sports and active sportswear
- Historic growth of the performance apparel market 2004-2010
- Future growth of the performance apparel market, 2010-2016
- Performance apparel as protectivewear
- Performance apparel as garments, fabrics, fibres and finishes
Chapter 2: The sports and recreational uses of performance outdoor apparel
- Participation in sports and outdoor recreational activities
- The ispo sports communities, and brand product activity segmentation
- Sports and recreation activities, general apparel matrix
- Other retailers and brands product categories
- Sports and recreation activities, performance outdoor apparel matrix
- Performance outdoor apparel product category percentage value and volume share estimates
Chapter 3: Outdoor apparel life cycles and performance characteristics
- Product life cycle theory
- Life cycle theory in performance apparel
- Life cycle theory in performance outdoor apparel
- Performance in the cold, climbing, skiing, skating
- Performance in the heat, motor racing, cycling, running
- Performance in the wet, sailing, canoeing
Chapter 4: Business approaches to cold, hot, wet and windy
- The wide ranging approach
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Chapter 5: Retailer and brand market positions in performance outdoor apparel
- Niche marketing in performance outdoor apparel
- Jack Wolfskin
- Helly Hansen and PrimaLoft
- The North Face
- Brands, trademarks and intellectual property
Chapter 6: Construction, fabrics, fibres and finishes
Chapter 7: Retail trends in performance outdoor apparel
- Go Outdoors and Blacks
- Jack Wolfskin
Chapter 8: Conclusion on retailers and brands in performance outdoor apparel
List of tables
Table 1: Top 10 outdoor activities
Table 2: Performance outdoor apparel market, trend line, 2004-2016 (US$bn)
Table 3: Performance outdoor apparel market, historic growth, 2004-2010 (US$bn and %)
Table 4: Performance outdoor apparel market, future growth, 2010-2016 (US$bn and %)
Table 5: Regional performance outdoor apparel markets, historic growth 2004-2010 (US$bn and %)
Table 6: Regional performance outdoor apparel markets, future growth 2010-2016 (US$bn and %)
Table 7: Product characteristics/activities in major US brands' websites
Table 8: Sports and recreation activities, performance outdoor apparel product category matrix
Table 9: The Elements
Table 10: Value and volume estimate of performance outdoor apparel by product category (m garments, US$ and %)
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.