- Language: English
- 624 Pages
- Published: December 2011
Immunoassays in Agricultural Biotechnology
- Published: February 2011
- 368 Pages
- John Wiley and Sons Ltd
A very broad range of professionals are using immunoassay technology daily to analyze genetically engineered (GE) crops and related areas, and many of these professionals are completely new to this technology. There is a great need for users to have a book containing technical and practical guidance, and describing limitations and pitfalls of applying immunoassay in agricultural biotechnology.
This book focuses on the application of immunoassays to GE plants and related areas. A group of international experts from government agencies, academics and industries, who have many years of related experience, contribute high quality chapters in their areas of expertise. This book covers topics including principles of immunoassay, antibody engineering in AgBiotech, current technologies (formats, kit development, manufacturing and quality control), method validation, applications in trait discovery and product development, applications in grain products and food processing, applications in environmental monitoring, automation and high throughput, reference materials, data interpretation and source of error, and future perspectives and challenges. In addition, to meet the practical needs for a variety of readers from different backgrounds, methods and protocols are included as well.
1. Introduction (Guomin Shan).
2. Principle of Immunoassays (Kerrm Yau and Claudia Sheedy).
3. Antibody Engineering in Agricultural Biotechnology (Patrick Doyle, Mehdi Arbabi-Ghahroudi, Claudia Sheedy, Kerrm Yau and J. Christopher Hall).
4. Microtiter Plate ELISA (Michael Brown).
5. Lateral Flow Devices (Murali Bandle, Rick Thompson and Guomin Shan).
6. Immunoassay Method Validation (Jean Schmidt and Clara Alarcon).
7. Reference Materials and Considerations (Tandace A. Scholdberg and G. Ronald Jenkins).
8. Automation of Immunoassays (Michele Yarnall).
9. Data Interpretation and Sources of Error (Rod Herman and Guomin Shan).
10. Immunoassay Applications in Trait Discovery, Product Development and Registration (Beryl Packer, Andre Silvanovich and David Grothaus).
11. Immunoassay Applications in Grain Products and Food Processing (Gina Clapper and Lulu Kurman).
12. Immunoassay Applications on Soil Monitoring (Guomin Shan).
13. Immunoassay Applications in Plant-based Biopharma (Thomas Patterson and Greg Gilles).
14. Immunoassays in Veterinary Plant-made Vaccines (Giorgio De Guzman, Robert P. Shepherd and Amanda M. Walmsley).
15. Immunoassay as a GE Detection Method In International Trade (Ray Shillito and Thomas Currier).
16. Future Perspectives and Challenges (Lucy Liu, Ai-Guo Gao, Leslie Harrison, Kerrm Yau, John Lawry and G. Shan).
GUOMIN SHAN, PhD, is a Lead Research Specialist and Technical Leader in the Biotechnology Regulatory Science Department of Dow AgroSciences LLC. For the past fifteen years, his main research focuses have been in the fields of immunochemistry and agricultural biotechnology including development, validation, and application of numerous immunoassays ranging from small molecules (e.g., pesticides) to macro-molecules (e.g., proteins) from genetically modified (GM) organisms. He is the author of thirty-five peer-reviewed articles and three book chapters and holds three patents.