• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Czech Republic Freight Transport Report Q3 2011
Business Monitor International, June 2011, Pages: 36
Business Monitor International's Czech Republic Freight Transport Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, freight transportation associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on Czech Republic's freight transportation industry.
A new centre-right coalition in the Czech Republic is likely to be formed in the coming weeks after a probable vote of no confidence against the current ruling bloc. Political ructions within the ruling coalition have boiled over after months of simmering tensions and accusations of alleged corruption. We also caution that there are a number of risks to our outlook that could result in a less fiscallyconscientious government rising to power and threatening the country's austerity drive.
GDP growth is expected to be 3.5% for 2011. Although the Czech economy has not suffered as much as its neighbours in the recession, high unemployment, low external demand and the need for fiscal austerity at home are still acting as limiting factors holding back economic growth. The Czech freight industry has a central location between East and West Europe which should give it benefits as a logistics centre. Total trade in real terms over the medium term is expected to grow by 6.6%.
Headline Industry Data
- 2011 air freight tonnage is forecast to grow 1.6%, following projected growth of 1.99% in 2010.
- 2011 rail freight tonnes is forecast to grow 1%, following a projected growth of 18% in 2010.
- 2011 road freight tonnage is forecast to grow 4%, following projected growth of 8% in 2010.
- 2011 total trade growth in real terms is forecast at 7.02%
Key Industry Trends
Raben Logistics Czech Opens New Branch And Improves Delivery Times Raben Logistics Czech opened a new branch in the city of Liberec, in the heart of the Northern Bohemia region in early February. This is Raben's sixth branch in the Czech Republic.
Weiss Röhlig Begins New Service Between Taiwan And Prague In early March 2011 Weiss Röhlig launched a new weekly consolidation service between Taiwan and Prague in the Czech Republic. Weiss Röhlig has scheduled trucking and rail services from all major European ports into Eastern Europe supported on the ground through its network of offices.
Czech CD Cargo Expected To Bid For Polish Operator According to the Czech newspaper E15 in March, Czech state-owned rail cargo firm CD Cargo was considering making a bid for a majority stake in the PKP Cargo part of the Polish state railways. However, both CD Cargo and PKP have profitability problems.
EU Starts Investigation Of Aid To Czech Airlines EU competition regulators opened an in-depth investigation into Czech Airlines in late February 2011, concerning a loan worth EUR94mn granted to national carrier CSA Czech Airlines by Osinek, a stateCzech owned company. The European Commission said they doubted the carrier's restructuring complied with EU state aid rules and that the merger of the airport and the airline could contribute to bringing these economic bodies back into profitability.
Key Risks To Outlook
The coalition government has proven to be fractious and has a difficult economic task. The Czech economy is linked to the eurozone and further trouble with high deficits and fragile banking sectors in Spain, Portugal or Greece could lead to a double dip recession. The government appears set on merging and rationalising weak government freight transport entities such as Czech Airlines and will continue to subsidise them. Corruption is increasing in the Czech Republic with transparency international downgrading the country's corruption index and this makes the business environment much more difficult to operate in.
- Czech Republic Shipping SWOT
- Czech Republic Political SWOT
- Czech Republic Economic SWOT
- Czech Republic Business Environment SWOT
Industry Trends And Developments
- Multi-Modal And Logistics
- Market Overview
- Container Shipping Overview
- Air Freight
- Table: Air Freight, 2008-2015
- Road Freight
- Table: Road Freight, 2008-2015
- Table: Rail Freight, 2008-2015
- Inland Waterway Freight
- Table: Inland Waterway Freight, 2008-2015
- Table: Trade Overview, 2008-2015
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2008-2015 (US$mn and % change y-o-y)
- Table: The Czech Republic's Main Import Partners, 2002-2009 (US$mn)
- Table: The Czech Republic's Main Export Partners, 2002-2009 (US$mn)
- Table: Czech Republic – Economic Activity
- CD Cargo
- Czech Airways Cargo
- AWT Cechofracht
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Transport Industry
- CD Cargo
- Czech Airways Cargo
- AWT Cechofracht
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.