- Language: English
- 95 Pages
- Published: August 2013
- Region: United Kingdom
Ceramic and Natural Stone Tiles Market Report - UK 2011-2015
- Published: June 2011
- Region: United Kingdom
- 81 Pages
- AMA Research
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 6th edition of the report: ‘Ceramic and Natural Stone Tiles Market – UK 2011 - 2015’. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that continue to impact on the market.
The report contains:
- Detailed Assessment Of The Market - Analysis Of Major Developments And Current And Future Trends.
- Review Of Key Product Sectors And Trends.
- Supply And Distribution Structure.
- Forecasts Of Market Developments Up To 2015.
The downturn in the housing market and key commercial sectors has resulted in difficult market conditions in 2007-10. In particular, the decline in the wall tiles sector, evident from the mid 2000’s, has continued into 2010-11 with the domestic kitchen market now favouring stone, glass and metal upstands rather than tiled splashbacks.
Floor tiles have been more stable with increased value share for harder wearing porcelain tiles in both contract and domestic sectors.
Natural stone floor and wall tiles have continued to take share and have benefited from the trend for higher quality kitchen and bathroom refurbishments in the middle and upper market sectors.
The market remains highly competitive with import penetration increasing and considerable price pressures on lower market sectors. This report reviews key issues impacting market development and assesses the likely future prospects for the sector through to 2015.
Areas of particular interest include:-
- Market performance of leading tiles sectors (ceramic & porcelain and natural stone), including underlying demand factors, trends and future prospects.
- Overview of market volumes and factors that will influence future growth prospects.
- More detailed assessment of natural stone and its wider availability making it more attractive to consumers.
- Changes to the UK supply base including the importance of foreign suppliers and widening of the base to include stone specialists who supply tiles as part of a much wider range.
- Future prospects in 2011-12, and medium term forecasts up to 2015.
Key areas of coverage in the report include:
- UK ceramic and natural stone tile market, market definition, overview of market size by value and volume, recent and current situation 2005-2010 with indications of situation in H1 2011, recent market performance, factors underpinning demand and restricting growth.
- International trade 2005-2010 – indicating growth in imports and more subdued exports, countries of origin and key export destinations.
- Key market influences, including levels of construction, housing market, key commercial sector markets, economic trends, impact of global credit crisis, short-term prospects etc.
- Future prospects – market size and forecast trends up to 2015.
- Analysis of market for ceramic & porcelain tiles – including market value, potential growth prospects up to 2015, key influences, product mix by type,
- Market mix by application -floor and wall tiles – sector trends 2005-2015, factors influencing growth prospects to 2015.
- Analysis by End-Use Sector – contract and domestic.
- Key factors driving growth and change – interior design trends, growth of wet rooms, expansion of floor tiles into additional areas, increasing share for porcelain floor tiles, etc.
- Market for natural stone tiles – definitions, assessment of market value and growth potential to 2015, leading stone types, product mix by product type, application and end-use sector mix, key factors influencing growth to 2015, etc.
- Style and design trends - growth in textures as well as digital printing techniques that allow for feature walls for tiles, focus on stone also assisting with growth for ceramic & porcelain “imitations”.
- Changes in market structure – reduction in UK supply base, growth of imports, continued importance of tile distributors, etc.
- Major tiles manufacturers and suppliers - including turnover size and market share where appropriate – recent changes, market positioning etc.
- Major distribution channels, and share by type of outlet – Tile and Stone Multiples, Independents, Mail Order/Catalogue, Specialists, Dept. Stores/Variety Stores/DIY etc.
- Key companies, by type of outlet – major players.
- Key growth areas – prospects for 2011 and up to 2015.
- Important developments in the major product and market sectors.
- Review of key construction trends & economic factors impacting the market. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1.2 Sources Of Information
2. Summary And Future Prospects
2.2 Future Prospects
3. Economic Environment
3.2 Inflation & Interest Rates
3.4 Household Consumption
3.5 Housing & Construction
3.7 Population Profile
4. Market For Ceramic & Natural Stone Tiles
4.2 Market Overview
4.2.1 Market Value
4.2.2 Current Situation
4.3 Product Mix
4.3.1 Mix By Volume
4.4 Market Characteristics
4.4.1 Product Substitution
4.4.2 The Domestic Sector
4.4.3 The Contract Sector
4.4.4 Interior Decoration Trends
4.4.5 Product Development/Innovation
4.5 Key Market Influences
4.5.1 The Housing Market
4.5.2 Non-Domestic Construction
4.5.3 Household Spending And Disposable Incomes
4.5.4 Penetration Of Additional Tiled Areas
5. Ceramic And Porcelain Tiles
5.1.1 Ceramic Tiles
5.1.2 Porcelain Tiles
5.2 Market Overview
5.3 International Trade
5.3.1 Value Of International Trade
5.3.2 Volume Of International Trade
5.4 Product Mix
5.4.1 Mix By Type
5.4.2 Mix By Application
5.6 End Use Applications
6. Natural Stone
6.1.1 Types Of Stone
6.1.2 Stone Finishes
6.2 Market Size
6.2.1 Current Situation
6.2.2 Future Prospects
6.3 International Trade
6.4 Product Mix
6.4.1 Mix By Application
6.4.2 Mix By Type
6.5 End Use Applications
7.1 Supply Structure
7.1.2 Corporate Activity
7.2 Market Share
7.3 Leading Suppliers Of Ceramic And Porcelain Tiles
7.4 Leading Supplies Of Natural Stone Tiles
8.1 Distribution Structure
8.2 Major Channels
8.3 Uk Distributors And Independent Retailers
8.3.1 Major Distributors
8.3.2 Retail Tile Multiples
8.3.3 Diy Multiples
8.3.4 Builders Merchants
8.3.5 Direct Sales And Other Distribution Routes
8.4 The Contract Sector
List of Tables & Charts
Table 1: Uk Market And Forecasts For Ceramic & Porcelain And Natural Stone Tiles 2005-2015 - By Value (£M At Msp)
Chart 2: Interest Rates And Inflation (Cpi) From 1992-2015
Chart 3: Pdi & Savings Ratio At Current Prices 1992-2015
Table 4: Exchange Rate Fluctuations 2006-2011 - Sterling To The Dollar, And The Euro, Spot Rates
Chart 5: Age Distribution Of The Resident Uk Population Mid-2008 (‘000)
Chart 6: Uk Market And Forecasts For Ceramic And Natural Stone Tiles 2005-2015 – By Value (£M At Msp)
Chart 7: Uk Market For Ceramic And Natural Stone Tiles Product Mix 2010 - % By Value
Table 8: Uk Market For Ceramic And Natural Stone Tiles Product Mix 2010 - % By Volume (M Sq M)
Table 9: Housebuilding Completions And Forecasts - Gb 2005 To 2015 – (‘000 Dwellings)
Table 10: Number Of Property Transactions Uk 2006 To 2010 (‘000)
Table 11: Gb Non-Domestic Construction Output And Forecasts Of New Work And Rmi By Sector 2005 To 2015 - By Value (£Bn At Current Prices)
Chart 12: Construction Output (Gb) New Work By Sector 2010 - % By Value
Table 13: Uk Market Forecast For Ceramic And Porcelain Tiles 2005 To 2015 – By Value (£M At Msp)
Table 14: International Trade In Ceramic Tiles 2005 To 2010 – By Value (£Million)
Table 15: International Trade In Ceramic Tiles 2005 To 2010 – By Volume (Million Square Metres)
Chart 16: Major Import Source Countries For Ceramic Tiles 2010 - % By Value
Chart 17: Ceramic Tiles Imports Spain, Italy And China Changes To Value Share 2005 And 2010 - % By Value
Chart 18: Major Destinations For Ceramic Tiles Exports 2010 – % By Value
Chart 19: Uk Market For Ceramic And Porcelain Tiles Product Mix 2010 - % By Value
Chart 20: Uk Market For Ceramic And Porcelain Tiles – Floor And Wall Mix 2010 - % By Value
Chart 21: Uk Market And Forecasts For Ceramic And Porcelain Wall Tiles 2005-2015 – By Value (£M At Msp)
Chart 22: Uk Market And Forecasts For Ceramic And Porcelain Floor Tiles 2005-2015 – By Value (£M At Msp)
Chart 23: Uk Market For Ceramic And Porcelain Tiles Mix By Domestic And Contract End Use Sector 2010 - % By Value
Chart 24: Uk Market And Forecasts For Natural Stone Floor And Wall Tiles 2005-2015 – By Value (£M At Msp)
Table 25: International Trade In Setts, Curbstones And Flagstones Of Natural Stone 2005 To 2010 – By Value (£M)
Chart 26: Uk Market For Stone Tiles – Floor & Wall Application Mix 2010 - % By Value
Chart 27: Uk Market For Stone Tiles By Type (Limestone, Slate, Sandstone, Marble, Travertine, Others) 2010 - % By Value
Chart 28: Uk Market For Stone Tiles Mix By Domestic And Contract End Use Sector 2010 - % By Value
Table 29: Uk Ceramic And Stone Tiles Market Leading Suppliers 2010
Chart 30: Distribution Channels In The Domestic Ceramic & Porcelain And Natural Stone Tiles Market
Table 31: Uk Ceramic & Porcelain And Natural Stone Tiles Market Domestic Distribution Channel Share 2010 - % By Value
Chart 32: Main Contract Distribution Channels For Ceramic Tiles And Natural Stone
This report covers ceramic & porcelain and natural stone wall and floor tiles that are for internal use only and includes both domestic and contract sectors.
The market experienced only moderate growth 2005-07 with declining ceramic & porcelain wall tiles a major contributory factor. The market then experienced 19% decline 2007-10 as the recession impacted on demand in all key commercial and residential sectors. In 2010, the market was worth an estimated £431 million, having experienced an estimated decline of 6% on the previous year.
As non-essential products, ceramic & porcelain and natural stone tiles have been affected by reduced consumer spending throughout the recent difficult economic climate. The downturn in the housing market has been a key contributory factor with demand from both new housebuilding and RMI work significantly reduced from pre-recession levels. Non-domestic construction has also experienced declining output with key sectors, such as retail and commercial offices, experiencing declining demand 2008-10.
The ceramic & porcelain tiles sector dominates the market in 2010 with estimated value share of around 81%. However, ceramic and porcelain tiles have also been affected by reduced demand for wall tiles as the trend for upstands and metal and glass splashbacks within the domestic kitchen sector continues. Ceramic floor tiles have been more resilient than wall tiles underpinned by demand from the contract sector and the trend for larger format tiles. The domestic floor tiles sector has also derived some limited benefits from the housebuilding sector with floor tiles now offered in increased locations including kitchens, bathrooms, utilities, hallways and cloakrooms.
The natural stone sector has enjoyed stronger market conditions than ceramic & porcelain tiles over the last few years with value decline below that of the total market. Natural stone has particularly benefited from the trend for more luxurious bathroom refurbishments in the upper and middle market sectors.
In terms of supply structure, the market has become more fragmented in recent years with a larger number of stone specialists entering the market with dedicated showrooms and enhanced product ranges.
Prospects for the tiles market into the medium-term will be determined by the strength and pace of recovery of the economy which into Q2 2011 still remains relatively fragile. The short-term outlook indicates only moderate growth at best 2011-12 given the slower than anticipated recovery in the housing sector and the more pessimistic outlook for key commercial sectors such as retail and offices.
Growth prospects 2013-15 are more positive with annual rates of 5-6% currently forecast with value likely to reach around £515m.
- Bellegrove Ceramics
- British Ceramic Tile (BCT)
- Burlington Slate
- Capitol Tile Supplies
- Carvall Group
- Classical Flagstones
- CP Group of Companies
- Craven Dunnill
- Domus Tiles
- Fired Earth
- Goss Marble
- H & R Johnson
- H & E Smith
- Ionic Stone
- Lomac Tiles
- Mandarin Stone
- Marlborough Tiles
- Mosaic Restoration Company
- N&C Nicobond
- Original Style
- Porcelanosa Group
- Solus Ceramics stoneCircle
- Stonehouse Tiles
- Studio Ceramics
- Tile Magic
- Topps Tiles
- Verona Stone
- Walls and Floors Kettering
- Welsh Slate