- Published: August 2011
- Region: Europe
Pipes and Fittings Market Report - UK 2011-2015 Analysis
- Published: June 2011
- Region: United Kingdom
- 86 Pages
- AMA Research
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 3rd edition of the report ‘Pipes and Fittings Market Report – UK 2011-2015 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, it represents an up-to-date and informed review of this market, giving excellent value for money.
The report covers the following product sectors in detail:
- Plumbing Pipe Systems – Including Potable Water And Heating Pipe Systems.
- Rainwater Goods - Including Plastic, Aluminum And Cast Iron Gutters.
- Soil And Waste Products - Including Above Ground Pipes, Traps And Fittings.
- The Report Covers Domestic And Light Commercial Applications For The Above Products, Excluding Water Utility Applications, Land Drainage And Other Gas Or Telecommunications Applications.
- The Report Contains A Detailed Assessment Of The Markets With Interpretation Of Major Developments And Future Trends Including Information That Is Specific And Relevant To The Market - Not Just A Broad Collection Of Government Statistics.
Recent trends include:
- Greater usage of plastic plumbing pipe in new build situations. Copper pipe continues to be widely used in the refurbishment and repair of existing systems.
- Shift in the market towards flame free jointing. Push-fit and press-fit fittings are increasingly popular, with considerable savings made on installation time.
- With the economic downturn and drive towards cost reduction, there is greater use of PVC-U ‘cast iron style' rainwater goods, particularly in refurbishment projects.
- Growing interest in rainwater harvesting systems, with mounting concerns about water usage in the home.
- With unpredictable rainfall patterns and climate change, there is a growth in demand for high capacity gutter systems.
- Greater focus on sustainability throughout the production and distribution chain.
Key areas covered in the report include:
MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- Market size by value, rates of change, trends and forecasts.
- Key influences in the market and future prospects.
- Development and influence of the domestic heating market and underfloor heating sector.
- Development of the bathroom and shower market and influence on the pipes and fittings industry.
- Key building and construction trends and influences on the pipes and fittings market, including housebuilding levels and future prospects, domestic refurbishment levels and future prospects, the influence of the changing conservatory market, development of the self build market, the commercial building and construction market and the influence of increasing government spending in that sector.
- The changing impact of new building methods, off-site construction etc.
PRODUCT APPLICATIONS, TYPES, MIX AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Plumbing pipe systems:
- Hot and cold pressurised applications for heating and for hot and cold potable water, and underfloor heating.
- Product mix of plumbing pipe and fittings and mix of plumbing pipe systems by application.
- Material mix for pipes and fittings in this sector. The differences in material used between potable water and heating applications.
- The use of copper pipe and fittings in plumbing applications; key suppliers; advantages and disadvantages of copper; shift towards flame-free jointing etc.
- Use of plastic in plumbing applications; types of plastic pipe; key suppliers; influence of barrier pipe; growth of push-fit fittings etc.
- Main suppliers and market shares for plumbing pipe systems.
- Outlook for plumbing pipe systems – forecasts for 2011 and up to 2015.
- Rainwater goods, soil & waste products:
- Product mix of rainwater and soil & waste products.
- Material mix for rainwater goods; use of different materials; advantages and disadvantages of plastic, cast iron etc; product developments; rainwater drainage and harvesting.
- Material mix of soil and waste products; types of traps; product developments.
- Main suppliers and market shares for rainwater goods, soil and waste products.
- Outlook for rainwater goods, soil and waste products - forecasts for 2011 and up to 2015.
- Overall materials mix
- Mix of pipes and fittings by application type and by material type.
- Main suppliers overall, including market positions, key characteristics and strengths.
- Market shares for plastic pipes and fittings.
- Market shares for metal pipes and fittings.
- Comment on other suppliers and importers.
- Main distribution channels. Key companies in each of the major channels.
- Channel shares across the pipe and fittings industry.
- Changing nature of distribution in terms of greater activity through the internet and other e-commerce solutions.
- Plumbing and heating contractors and influence on the specification process. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1.2 Sources Of Information
2.2 Key Trends
2.3 Future Prospects
3. Economic Environment
3.2 Inflation & Interest Rates
3.4 Household Consumption
3.6 Population Profile
4. Pipes And Fittings Market
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Key Market Influences
4.2.1 House Building Completions
4.2.2 Mix Of House Building Completions
4.2.3 House Moving Levels
4.2.4 House Prices
4.2.5 Non-Domestic Construction
4.2.6 New Building Methods
4.2.7 Self Build Market
4.3 Other Market Drivers
4.3.1 Central Heating And Water Heating Market
4.3.2 Underfloor Heating Market
4.3.3 Conservatory Market
4.3.4 Bathroom And Shower Market
4.4 Environmental Influences
5.1 Plumbing Pipe Systems
5.1.2 Market Size
5.1.3 Market Overview
5.1.4 Product And Material Mix
5.1.5 Copper Plumbing Pipe Systems
5.1.6 Plastic Plumbing Pipe Systems
5.1.7 Market Shares
5.2 Rainwater, Soil And Waste Products
5.2.2 Market Size
5.2.3 Market Overview
5.2.4 Product And Material Mix
5.2.5 Rainwater Products
5.2.6 Soil And Waste Products
5.2.7 Market Shares
6.2 Key Suppliers
6.3 Other Suppliers
7.1 Distribution Mix
7.2 Builders' Merchants/Specialists
7.3 Diy Multiples
7.4 Other Distribution Channels
7.5 Plumbers And Heating Contractors
List Of Charts & Tables
Chart 1: Uk Pipes And Fittings Market By Value (£M Msp) 2006-2015
Chart 2: Interest Rates And Inflation (Cpi) From 1992-2015
Chart 3: Pdi & Savings Ratio At Current Prices 1992-2015
Table 4: Exchange Rate Fluctuations 2006-2011 - Sterling To The Dollar, And The Euro, Spot Rates
Chart 5: Age Distribution Of The Resident Uk Population Mid-2008 (‘000)
Chart 6: Uk Pipes And Fittings Market By Value (£M Msp) 2006-2015
Table 7: Uk Pipes And Fittings Market - Product Mix By Value 2010 (£M Msp)
Table 8: House Building Completions 2007-2015 (‘000 Dwellings)
Chart 9: Housebuilding Completions In England - % Mix By Type Of Dwelling 2001-2010
Table 10: Uk Residential Property Transactions Valued At £40K Or Above 2006-2010
Table 11: Non Domestic Construction Output Figures 2006-2015 (£Billion At Current Prices)
Table 12: Uk Underfloor Heating Market By Value (£M Msp) 2007-2012
Table 13: Uk Plumbing Pipe Systems Market By Value (£M Msp) 2006-2015
Chart 14: Plumbing Pipe Systems – Product Mix By Value 2010
Chart 15: Plumbing Pipe Systems – Material Mix By Value 2010
Chart 16: Uk Plumbing Pipe Systems – % Mix By Type Of Installation 2010
Chart 17: Central Heating And Potable Water Pipe Systems - Material Mix By Value 2010
Table 18: Copper Plumbing Pipe Systems – Advantages/Disadvantages
Chart 19: Plastic Plumbing Pipe – Product Mix By Value 2010
Table 20: Plastic Plumbing Pipe Systems – Advantages/Disadvantages
Table 21: Plumbing Pipe Systems – Market Shares By Value 2010
Table 22: Uk Rainwater, Soil And Waste Products By Value (£M Msp) 2006-2015
Chart 23: Rainwater, Soil And Waste Products – Product Mix By Value 2010
Chart 24: Rainwater Products – Material Mix By Value 2010
Chart 25: Soil And Waste Products – Material Mix By Value 2010
Table 26: Plastic Rainwater Products – Advantages/Disadvantages
Table 27: Cast Iron Rainwater Products – Advantages/Disadvantages
Table 28: Rainwater, Soil And Waste Products – Market Shares By Value 2010
Table 29: Uk Suppliers Of Plastic Pipes And Fittings – Market Shares By Value 2010
Table 30: Uk Suppliers Of Metal Pipes And Fittings – Market Shares By Value 2010
Chart 31: Distribution Of Pipes And Fittings – Mix By Channel 2010
Chart 32: Uk Vat Registered Plumbing And Heating Contractors 2010
The UK pipes and fittings market had shown excellent levels of growth until the economic downturn. Like other products in the building and construction industry, this market has been impacted by the global financial crisis. The market is estimated at £636 million at Manufacturers Selling Prices (MSP) in 2010. 2011 estimates indicate an increase of 2%, reflecting some signs of stabilisation or recovery in the UK economy.
The plumbing pipe systems sector accounts for some 66% of the pipes and fittings market, as defined in this report. The rainwater, soil and waste products sector accounts for the remaining 34% of this industry.
It is estimated that around 52% of pipes and fittings products are distributed via builder's merchants, whilst 32% are sold by more specialist plumbing, roofing and drainage distributors. Around 8% are distributed via DIY multiples and other independent DIY/hardware stores. Others account for 8% and include internet and catalogue sales, plus direct sales from OEM business. Builders' merchants are expected to continue to dominate this mature market. However, there is some evidence to suggest that builders' merchants are losing market share to more specialist plumbing, drainage and roofing distributors. Sales via the Internet are also anticipated to increase.
The future performance of the UK pipes and fittings market is likely to be influenced by overall trends in housebuilding, non-domestic construction, home improvement, levels of personal disposable income and niche market drivers such as the self build and conservatory markets. Industry sources claim the sales of plastic plumbing pipe are increasing particularly in new build situations. It is anticipated that plastic products will take a larger share of the plumbing pipe systems market as the economy stabilises and new housebuilding levels increase.
There will be a greater focus on sustainability and the environment throughout the production and distribution chain. Pipes and fittings manufacturers will look for materials and processes that are not harmful to the environment and that will be available for future generations to use.
Forecasts indicate that the pipes and fittings market will remain uncertain in the short term, reflecting continuing low levels of activity in new house build and home improvement. However, in the medium to longer term the pipes and fittings market is expected to experience a return to steady growth.
By 2015, the market value is forecast to be £728 million at MSP, which would represent an increase of around 12% compared to the estimated market size in 2011.
- Aden Pro Form
- Aliaxis Group
- Alumasc Exterior Building Products
- Aluminium Roofline Products (ARP)
- Amazon Civils
- Anglian Home Improvements
- Ash & Lacy Building Systems
- Brett Martin
- CA Building Products
- Comfort Corporation
- Coppa Gutta
- CSI Group
- Dales Fabrications
- Emmeti UK
- Freefoam Plastics Ltd
- George Fischer Piping Systems Group
- GMD Pennine
- GPS PE Pipe Systems
- Halcor SA
- Hall and Botterill
- Hargreaves Foundry
- Hunter Plastics
- IBP Conex UK
- John Guest
- JWD Rainwater Systems
- KME Yorkshire Ltd
- KWH Pipe UK
- Lawton Tube Co
- Lindab Building Products
- LK Systems
- Marley Alutec
- Marley Plumbing & Drainage
- McAlpine and Co
- Micrex Profiles
- Mueller Europe
- Pegler Yorkshire Group
- PF Copeland Rainwater Systems
- Pipe 2000
- Pipelife UK
- Plastivan UK
- Polypipe Building Products
- Purus UK
- Qual-Plumb UK
- Rehau UK
- Saint-Gobain PAM UK
- Stockfords Rainwater Systems
- Stormguard Rainwater Systems
- Swish Building Products (SBP)
- Talon Manufacturing
- Tuscan Foundry
- Uponor Ltd
- Wavin UK
- WE Bates
- Wieland Werke
- Yeoman Rainguard