• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2011-2015 Analysis
AMA Research, July 2011, Pages: 87
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 7th edition of "Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2011-2015 Analysis". Incorporating original input and primary research, the report represents an up-to-date and informed review of all sectors within the commercial glazing market.
Key areas in the report:
- UK Commercial Glazing Market – size, trends, forecasts up to 2015, key influences,
- Analysis by Market Sector: Commercial Windows, Curtain Walling, Ground Floor Treatments & Roof Glazing – product mix, size, trends & influences by
- product sector
- Market Structure – review of market structure, breakdown of market sectors with major players, company profiles
- End Use Application Areas – mix by end-use sectors, analysis of key end-user markets, identification of potential growth opportunities.
2009/10 has been a difficult period in the commercial glazing sector, with the offices and retail sectors particularly badly hit. While public sector work has been reasonably buoyant over the last 3 years, demand is set to fall from 2011 onwards, though private sector work is beginning to show some tentative signs of recovery. The report contains a detailed assessment of the market with interpretation of major developments and forecasts by product through to 2015.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Overview of commercial glazing market by installed value.
- Product mix review – Commercial Windows, Curtain Walling, Ground Floor Treatments, Roof Glazing – market size, trends and forecasts.
- Trends in frame material usage.
- Complex supply structure in commercial glazing market.
- Forecasts for 2011-12, and longer term prospects up to 2015.
Key areas of coverage in the report include:
- Market size by installed value-market development from 2006-2010.
- Recent market developments 2006 – 2010 and key influences e.g. construction activity levels, high-rise buildings, regulations, material price trends, design specifications
- Forecasts 2011 – 2015 and key market factors influencing recovery.
END-USE SECTOR MIX
- Identification of key end-use markets & estimates of market mix in 2010: education, commercial offices, retail, healthcare, high-rise residential & others including smaller government departments
- Education – assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. BSF & Primary Capital Programme, trends in funding to 2011; identification of major long-term university construction programmes etc
- Offices – recent trends in development and assessment of future demand; focus primarily on Central London plus major provincial cities and business park sector.
- Retail – assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. High Street shopfront replacement, grocery multiple newbuild, retail warehouses and shopping malls – developments in the pipeline.
- High-rise residential – analysis of trends towards high-rise accommodation, breakdown by region and by storeys.
- Other markets – NHS, hotels, transport terminals, Defence Estates & Ministry of Justice. Assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing.
- Analysis of key product sectors- commercial windows, curtain walling, ground floor treatments, roof glazing. Market sizes 2006-10, trends, key influences, key application areas etc.
- Market breakdown by product type & frame material, product sub-sectors & application areas – relative strengths of different frame materials.
- Market size & forecasts for 2011 - 2015 for each product sector.
- Impact of major trends in construction sector on particular market segments – variable market prospects over next 4 years.
- Prospects within each of the 4 product sectors up to 2015; - key factors influencing demand & future developments – key growth opportunities, specification influencers.
SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- Analysis of aluminium, PVC-U & steel supply sectors - major suppliers, market positioning etc.
- Further consolidation in key sectors of the supply chain: systems companies, UK fabricators/installers and European vertically integrated contractors
- Review of aluminium systems sector with profiles – key players, market shares, market positioning etc.
- Review of contracting sector with profiles on key players – market positioning.
- Review of PVC-U sector including profiles on key players.
- Review of major bespoke façade contractors including major projects undertaken and profiles on major operators - Permasteelisa group etc.
- Review of supply sectors for steel windows, manufactured rooflights, structural glazing & automated door systems.
1.2 Sources Of Information
2. Summary & Future Prospects
2.2 Future Prospects
3. Economic Environment
3.2 Inflation & Interest Rates
3.4 Household Consumption
3.5 Housing & Construction
4. The Market
4.1 Market Definition
4.2 Market Size And Overview
4.2.1 Recent Trends
4.2.2 Market Outlook
5. End Use Markets
5.3 Offices (Including Mixed Use With Offices)
5.3.1 Central London
5.3.2 Other Major Cities
5.3.3 Business Parks
5.4.2 High Street Refurbishment/Replacement
5.4.3 Grocery Multiples
5.4.4 Shopping Centres
5.4.5 Warehouse Type Outlets
5.8.1 Mod / Defence Infrastructure Organisation
5.8.2 Ministry Of Justice
6. Product Markets
6.1 Commercial Windows
6.1.2 Market Overview
6.2 Ground Floor Treatments
6.2.2 Market Overview
6.3 Curtain Walling (Including Structural Glazing)
6.3.2 Market Overview
6.4 Roof Glazing
6.4.2 Market Overview
7. Supply And Distribution
7.1 Aluminium Framed Glazing Systems
7.1.1 Aluminium Systems Companies
7.1.2 Aluminium Systems Fabricators
7.2 Pvc-U Systems
7.3 Structural Glazing
7.4 Steel Glazing Systems
7.5.1 Uk Companies
7.5.2 European & Other Foreign Contractors
7.6 Rooflight Manufacturers
7.7 Automated Door Systems
7.8 Architectural Glass Manufacturers
List Of Tables And Charts
Chart 1: Uk Commercial Glazing Market 2006 -2015
Chart 2: Uk Market For Commercial Glazing Systems By Product By Installed Value (£M) 2010
Chart 3: Interest Rates And Inflation (Cpi) From 1992-2015
Chart 4: Pdi & Savings Ratio At Current Prices 1992-2015
Table 5: Exchange Rate Fluctuations 2006-2011 - Sterling To The Dollar, And The Euro, Spot Rates
Table 6: Uk Market For Commercial Glazing Systems By Installed Value (£M) At Current Prices 2006 - 2015
Table 7: Price Indices Of Door & Window Materials 2005 - 2011 2005=100
Chart 8: Uk Market For Commercial Glazing By End Use Sector 2010
Table 9: Department Of Education: Capital Spending Plans 2010-11 To 2014/15 (£M)
Chart 10: Total Offices Construction Output Growth Forecasts (New Work) 2007 To 2015 – By Value (£ Billion At Current Prices)
Chart 11: Central London Office Market – Area Under Construction (Million Square Ft) Q4 2007 –Q1 2011
Chart 12: Retail Space Under Construction 2005 - 2010 (Million Sq. Ft.)
Table 13: Number Of Flats Built In Uk – 2003-10(‘000S)
Chart 14: Housebuilding Market In England – Mix Of Houses / Flats 2009-2010 % Mix By Volume
Chart 15: Completions Of Houses And Flats By Region - England 2009/10 Number Of Dwellings
Table 16: Department Of Health Spending Plans 2010/2011-2014/15 (£Bn)
Chart 17: Health Construction Output Growth Forecasts (New Work) 2007 To 2015 – By Value (£ Billion At Current Prices)
Table 18: Entertainment And Leisure Construction Output 2005 To 2010 – By Value (£ Million At Current Prices)
Chart 19: Entertainment & Leisure Construction Output Growth Forecasts (New Work) 2007 To 2015 – By Value (£ Billion At Current Prices)
Chart 20: Forecast Growth Of Uk Budget Hotel Sector: 2011 – 2020 By No. Rooms
Table 21: Budget Hotel Chains: Future Development Plans: Summary Table
Table 22: Department Of Defence: Capital Spending Plans 2010-11 To 2014/15 (£Bn)
Table 23: Department Of Justice: Capital Spending Plans 2010-11 To 2014/15 (£Bn)
Table 24: Hm Courts Service – Major Projects In Procurement And Capital Values 2009-2013
Table 25: Uk Market For Commercial Glazing Systems By Product By Installed Value (£M) 2010
Table 26: Uk Market For Commercial Windows By Installed Value (£M) At Current Prices 2006 - 2015
Chart 27: Uk Market For Commercial Windows By Frame Material By Value 2010
Chart 28: Uk Market For Commercial Aluminium Framed Windows As % Of Total Installations By Application By Installed Value
Chart 29: Uk Market For Pvc-U Framed Commercial Windows As % Of Total Installations By Application By Installed Value
Table 30: Uk Market For Ground Floor Treatments By Installed Value (£M) At Current Prices 2006 -2013
Table 31: Uk Market For Curtain Walling By Installed Value (£M) At Current Prices 2006 – 2015
Chart 32: Uk Curtain Walling Market By Contract Size By Number
Table 33: Uk Market For Roof Glazing By Installed Value (£M) At Current Prices 2010 - 2015
Chart 34: Commercial Glazing Contractor Selection Process
Chart 35: Aluminium Glazing Systems Supply – Estimated Market Shares % 2010
Table 36: Principal European & Other Foreign Bespoke Commercial Glazing Contractors In The Uk
Following several years of strong growth, it is estimated that the UK market for commercial glazing systems increased to around £2.9 billion at installed prices in 2008, but then declined substantially to an estimated £2.2bn by 2010. Following the onset of the financial crisis in 2008, construction activity and related commercial glazing work reduced sharply and quickly, in the office and high rise housing sector in particular.
In 2009/10, the market was to some extent supported by public sector spending, in particular in the education sector. However, from 2011 the coalition government has severely curtailed spending in this sector, and this will see the value of construction in the schools sector significantly reduce.
New orders for office and retail sectors, and in the residential sector, in particular have been low. Bright spots in this market are to be found in the retail grocery sector and in the development of budget hotels. There is, in 2011, still some impetus in the leisure market from building work related to the Olympics.
In terms of product sectors, we estimate that the largest segment by value is commercial windows, worth in the region of £1.2bn in 2010. Curtain walling and ground floor treatments we estimate to be worth around £400m and £450m respectively in 2010. The smallest sector is roof glazing, estimated to be worth some £165m in 2010. The reduced level of activity in this market is reflected in the lower turnovers reported by many of the companies operating in the sector. Some companies have already exited the market and there may be further casualties as the sector downsizes in capacity if the recovery is as slow as currently anticipated.
Whilst there is some degree of optimism in 2011 for the commercial glazing market, a return to the levels of growth seen in the mid-2000s is unlikely in the short-medium term. Prospects are for muted growth in line with a slow and steady improvement in the general economy and construction in particular.
The severe spending cuts made by the coalition government will affect the new build and RMI markets across the public sector. In particular, the schools building programme will reduce significantly with the Building Schools for the Future programme already stopped. Other areas of public spending which will see funding for new and RMI construction reduce include health and leisure.
The private sector leisure market is also expected to reduce over the medium term, partly as the boost to this market given by the Olympics disappears and partly because of reduced consumer confidence, which is likely to persist until general economic recovery improves.
However, there are some areas of optimism in the commercial glazing market - in particular, the office sector is expected to improve over the medium term. 2011 has seen some announcements regarding major schemes in response to a perceived shortage of premium office space by 2014-15. In addition, certain segments within the retail and hotel sectors look set to do well in the medium term.
- AC Yule
- Alumet Systems
- AM Profiles
- Anaco Systems
- AWS Group Plc
- Besam UK
- Blywaert Beaufort
- Boon Edam UK
- Bowater Building Products
- Brett Martin Limited
- Building Product Design
- Charles Henshaw & Sons
- Clement Windows Group
- Comar Architectural Aluminium Systems
- Crittall Windows
- Dane Architectural Systems Limited
- Dorma UK,Dudley's Architectural Aluminium
- English Architectural Glazing
- Eurocell Profiles
- Federated Windows and Doors
- Felix Ltd
- Focchi Ltd
- Geze UK
- GIG Facades
- Gilgen Door Systems UK Ltd
- Guardian Industries UK
- Hambleside Danelaw
- Horton Automatics HW Architectural
- Hydro Building Systems
- IKON Aluminium Solutions
- Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies
- Josef Gartner GmbH
- Kawneer UK
- Latium Group
- LB Plastics
- Lindner Facades
- M Price
- McMullen Architectural Systems
- McNeill-McManus Group
- Mero-Schmidlin (UK) Ltd
- Metal Technology
- Metallbau Früh UK
- Norking Aluminium
- Parry Bowen
- Permasteelisa UK
- Pilkington Architectural
- Pilkington' Building Products
- Red Architectural
- Saint-Gobain Glass
- Saint-Gobain Solaglas Architectural
- Sapa Building Systems
- Schco International
- Scheldebouw UK
- Schneider GB
- Seele UK
- Senior Architectural Systems Plc
- Smart Systems
- Solaglas Ltd
- Stoakes Systems
- Structal UK
- The GAC Group
- The Lonsdale Metal Company
- Ubbink (UK)
- Universal Aluminium Systems
- Waagner Biro Ltd
- Weatherwise Special Projects West Leigh
- Wright Style
- Yuanda UK