• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Industry Report Card: European Bank Rebound Falters Amid Slowing Economies And Market Turmoil Sep 11
Standard & Poors, September 2011
The European banking industry's moderate rebound from the 2008-2009 financial crisis is stalling because of dimming growth prospects in the eurozone and volatile, risk-averse wholesale funding markets. Standard & Poor's Ratings Services believes that the further recovery of the industry will hinge on restoring order to the sovereign debt market, shoring up confidence in bank funding markets, and avoiding a double dip into recession in the large European economies. The funding premiums that European banks pay over the risk-free rate began to widen again starting in the second quarter of 2011, and U.S.-dollar funding for them has tightened as worries about the impact of European sovereign risk on banks grow. Slowing economic growth and political tensions surrounding successive support plans...
Standard and Poors RatingsXpress Credit Research provides in-depth coverage of international corporates, financial institutions, insurance companies, utilities, sovereigns and structured finance programs. RatingsXpress Credit Research lets users determine the credit rating of holdings and identify key factors underlying an issuer's creditworthiness, distinguishes the different risk exposures for new and existing deals, and provides an understanding of how their analysts interpret key regulatory, political and environmental events and their economic impact.
Research Type: Commentary
Criteria articles describe the thought process and methodology Standard & Poor's analysts use in determining ratings. These commentary pieces discuss both the quantitative (economic and financial) and qualitative (business analysis and caliber of management) aspects of the analysis, as well as legal issues.
- Credit Agricole S.A.
- Deutsche Bank AG
- Cooperatieve Centrale Raiffeisen-Boerenleenbank B.A. (Rabobank Nederland)
- BNP Paribas
- Danske Bank A/S
- Landesbank Hessen-Thueringen Girozentrale
- Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale (Unsolicited Ratings)
- Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB (publ)
- Societe Generale
- Swedbank AB
- Portigon AG (Unsolicited Ratings)
- Barclays Bank PLC
- Bank of Ireland
- Commerzbank AG
- Pohjola Bank PLC
- Svenska Handelsbanken AB
- DNB Bank ASA
- UniCredit SpA
- Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA
- Dexia Credit Local
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Allied Irish Banks PLC
- Banco Santander S.A.
- The Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC
- Raiffeisen Zentralbank Oesterreich AG
- Credit Suisse Group AG
- Nationwide Building Society
- ING Bank N.V.
- Banco Espirito Santo S.A.
- Caixa Geral de Depositos S.A.
- Banco Comercial Portugues S.A.
- HSBC Holdings PLC
- Caisse Centrale du Credit Mutuel
- Banco de Sabadell S.A.
- Intesa Sanpaolo SpA
- National Bank of Greece S.A.
- Banco Popular Espanol S.A.
- DZ BANK AG Deutsche Zentral-Genossenschaftsbank
- UBS AG
- Erste Group Bank AG
- Belfius Bank SA/NV
- KBC Group N.V.
- Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria S.A.
- Nordea Bank AB
- Lloyds Banking Group PLC
- Unione di Banche Italiane Scpa
- Banco Popolare Societa Cooperativa SCRL
- CaixaBank S.A.
- ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
- Bankia S.A.