This report identifies all UK and Irish biotechnology companies with drug candidates that have entered clinical trials. All clinical phase drug candidates being developed by these companies are listed, both by clinical trial phase and by the category of disease (ICD-10) that they are intended to address. A table is provided containing a brief outline of each company (public/private status, geographic location, web address, focus of activity, pipeline summary). This information is likely to be of use to, inter alia, parties contemplating licensing, merger or acquisition activity in the UK/Irish biotechnology sector, or parties intending to provide specific products or services to companies in this sector.
The precise scope of the report is constrained by the following definitions.
- ‘Biotechnology companies’ are defined as companies engaged in life sciences research and development with 2010 revenues of less than UKP 100 million (USD ~160 million). Therefore, this report does not include ‘big pharma’ and other large organisations.
- ‘UK and Irish biotechnology companies’ means biotechnology companies with corporate headquarters in England, the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales. Therefore, with one exception, this report does not include UK/Irish subsidiaries of foreign companies, even where the main R&D base is located in the UK.
- ‘Drug candidates’ means chemical or biological entities intended for the prevention or treatment of medical problems in humans. Therefore, the report does not include UK/Irish companies with activities limited to development of medical devices, diagnostics, veterinary products, research reagents or other research tools, biomedical software, or biopharmaceutical services (including contract clinical research, drug discovery, formulation, etc). The report excludes medical devices, but includes some drug-device combinations.
- ‘Clinical phase’ means any of Phase I – Phase IV clinical trials. The report does not include companies with only pre-clinical stage drug candidates, does not include companies with only approved drugs, does not identify the pre-clinical drug candidates of any companies, and does not identify the approved drugs of any companies.
Drug candidates which have been withdrawn from development due to poor safety or efficacy data are not knowingly included, but it cannot be guaranteed that all identified drug candidates are in active development.
Note: no distinction is made between partnered and un-partnered drug programmes. Therefore, some of the drug candidates identified in this report may have been out-licensed.
Partnered programmes are not included in the pipeline of a given company where the programme involves use of the company’s technology to modify (e.g. by reformulation) a drug candidate owned by a third party. In such instances, the drug candidate is listed only in the third party pipeline (if the third party is based in UK/Ireland).
In this report, clinical phase drug candidates are categorised by:
- clinical trial phase (I, II or =III); and
- international classification of disease (ICD-10) groupings.
For each of the 22 ICD-10 disease categories, a table is provided showing all UK/Irish clinical phase drug development activity in that category. Within each of these tables, drug development activity is presented by clinical trial phase, and the drug candidate and drug developer are identified. Brief clarifying notes are appended to many of the tables.
In addition, UK and Irish companies with clinical phase drug development programmes are categorised by:
- geographic location of corporate headquarters (England, Ireland including Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales); and
- public or private status.
Finally, an index table is provided in which all UK and Irish companies with clinical phase drug development programmes are listed in alphabetical order, and in which each company is briefly outlined (public/private status, geographic location, web address, focus of activity, pipeline summary).
The above information is presented as 23 Tables and 7 charts. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1.1 Scope and definitions
1.2 Presentation of data
2. Executive Summary
3. Clinical programmes of UK/Irish biotechnology companies
3.1 Overview of clinical programmes: all ICD categories
3.1.1 All clinical programmes, by ICD category and trial phase
3.1.2 All clinical programmes, by ICD category
3.1.3 All Phase I clinical programmes, by ICD category
3.1.4 All Phase II clinical programmes, by ICD category
3.1.5 All =Phase III clinical programmes, by ICD category
3.2 Clinical programmes by ICD category, trial phase and company
3.2.1 Certain infectious and parasitic diseases
3.2.3 Diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving the immune mechanism
3.2.4 Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases
3.2.5 Mental and behavioural disorders
3.2.6 Diseases of the nervous system
3.2.7 Diseases of the eye and adnexa
3.2.8 Diseases of the ear and mastoid process
3.2.9 Diseases of the circulatory system
3.2.10 Diseases of the respiratory system
3.2.11 Diseases of the digestive system
3.2.12 Diseases of the skin and subcutaneous tissue
3.2.13 Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue
3.2.14 Diseases of the genitourinary system
3.2.15 Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium
3.2.16 Certain conditions originating in the perinatal period
3.2.17 Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities
3.2.18 Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified
3.2.19 Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes
3.2.20 External causes of morbidity and mortality
3.2.21 Factors influencing health status and contact with health services
3.2.22 Codes for special purposes
4. UK/Irish biotechnology companies with clinical phase drug development programmes
4.1 Broad features of population of clinical phase UK and Irish biotechnology companies
4.1.1 Location and public/private status of UK/Irish clinical phase companies
4.1.2 Public/private status per location of UK/Irish clinical phase companies
4.1.3 Location of private and public UK/Irish clinical phase companies
4.2 Clinical activity of UK / Irish biotechnology companies
4.2.1 Clinical programmes of UK/Irish companies by trial phase
4.2.2 UK / Irish biotechnology companies with Phase I clinical programmes
4.2.3 UK / Irish biotechnology companies with Phase II clinical programmes
4.2.4 UK / Irish biotechnology companies with Phase III clinical programmes
4.3 All UK and Irish biotechnology companies with clinical phase programmes: company outlines
5. Terms and conditions under which this report is purchased