- Language: English
- 48 Pages
- Published: September 2012
- Region: Global
This product is currently not available for purchase.
Worldwide IP Set Top Boxes
- Published: August 2011
- Region: Global
- 45 Pages
- IP set top boxes are mostly used by telcos who offer video services over their fiber and DSL networks
- Differentiated from streaming media devices which are sold at retail – IP set top boxes are specified by the telco operators whose customers will use them
Growth continues in the IP set top box market as boxes will be used by pay-TV providers other than telco TV operators. New telco TV subscribers and replacement cycles are other growth drivers. This PowerPoint report provides five-year unit shipment, revenue, ASP, HD, HD DVR, and bill of material forecasts for IP set top boxes. Worldwide market share data for 2009 and 2010 is also included.
Telco TV by Region
2010 Market Share
Unit Shipment Forecast
Box Vendor News
Bill of Materials
IP Set Top Box Unit Shipments to Surpass 21 Million in 2011
As a whole, the set top box market can be categorized as a mature one. That is to say, it has reached a state of equilibrium or at least the absence of significant growth. That’s not to say, however, that there aren’t segments of the business that are innovating and growing at fairly significant rates. New In-Stat (www.in-stat.com) research identifies the IP set top box market segment as one that is growing and is forecasting that unit shipments will surpass 21 million in 2011.
“The recent up-tick in IP set top boxes is a result of Telcos gaining subscribers from cable and satellite providers, as well as replacing the boxes of current subscribers,” says Michelle Abraham, Research Director. “Future increases for IP set top box shipments will likely be driven by service providers moving to a server/client architecture where there is a media gateway/server located in the media room of the house that shares its content with client boxes that are distributed throughout the rest of the home. These client boxes will be IP STBs. DirectTV is one of the first providers to offer this service, but In-Stat expects that others will follow over the next few years.”
Recent In-Stat research found the following:
- The IP set top box market will grow 14% in 2011.
- Motorola remained the market share leader in 2010 with 21% of the market.
- North American IP STB unit shipments will increase 48% in 2012.
- In 2013, Western Europe will account for 46% of worldwide IP STB revenues.
Recent In-Stat research, Worldwide IP Set Top Boxes (#IN1104964ME), is part of In-Stat's continuous research on the set top box market, which includes terrestrial, satellite, cable, and IP set top boxes. IP set top boxes are used by telcos in their deployments of managed IPTV services (referred to as telco TV in this report) for delivery of the video to the TV set. The research includes:
- Worldwide IP STB unit shipment and revenue forecasts by region through 2015.
- Worldwide IP STB shipments by vendor for 2008 and 2009.
- Worldwide IP STB average selling prices (ASPs) by region.
- Exploration of new IP STB features.
This research is part of In-Stat’s Multimedia Entertainment Equipment service, which provides comprehensive analysis and forecasts of the worldwide market for multimedia-enabled consumer electronics devices, including set top boxes, digital TVs, and personal video recorders.