- Language: English
- Published: January 2012
- Region: Italy
Country Analysis Report - Italy - In-depth PESTLE Insights
- ID: 1934272
- July 2011
- Region: Italy
- 84 pages
The country analysis report on Italy provides a wide array of analytical inputs to analyze the country’s performance, and the objective is to help the reader to make business decisions and prepare for the future. The report on Italy analyzes the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure of Italy. The report provides a holistic view of Italy from historical, current and future perspective. Insightful analysis on critical current and future issues is presented through detailed SCPT (strengths, challenges, prospects and threats /risks) analysis for each of the PESTLE segments. In addition, the PESTLE segments are supplemented with relevant quantitative data to support trend analysis. The PESTLE country analysis report series provides an in-depth analysis of 50 major countries.
Features and Benefits
- Understanding gained from the country analysis report on Italy can be used to plan business investments or market entry apart from a holistic view of the country.
- Political section on Italy provides inputs about the political system, key figures in the country, and governance indicators.
- Economic section on Italy outlines the economic story of the country to provide a balanced assessment on core macro-economic issues.
- Social section on Italy enables understanding of customer demographics through the income distribution, rural-urban segmentation and centres of affluence, healthcare and educational scenario in the country.
- Technological section on Italy provides strategic inputs on information communications and technology, technological laws and policies, technological gaps, patents data and relevant laws.
- Legal section on Italy provides information about the legal structure, corporate laws, business set-up procedures and the tax regime.
- Environmental section provides information on environmental policies in Italy and the performance in terms of important environmental indicators.
PESTLE analysis of Italy identifies issues that affect the country’s performance through the prism of current strengths (strengths), current challenges (weaknesses), future prospects (opportunities) and future risks (threats).
The political landscape discusses the evolution of the political scenario in Italy in different periods. The economic, social, foreign and defence policies are considered in the political landscape section. It also discusses the performance of the country as per World Bank Governance Indicators.
The economic landscape describes the evolution of the economy of Italy in different periods. It also examines the country’s performance in terms of GDP growth, composition by sector (agriculture, industry and services), fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, banking sector and employment. The economic landscape also explains the financial system in the country, especially with regard to financial authorities/regulators.
The social landscape covers the demographics, education and healthcare scenario in Italy. The social welfare policies of the government along with the country’s performance in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education are also provided.
The technological landscape discusses the structure and policies in terms of Intellectual property, research & development, technology agreements/pacts; and policies related to the promotion of technology in Italy.
The legal landscape examines the structure of the judicial system, legislation affecting businesses, tax regulations, labor laws, trade regulations and corporate governance in Italy.
The environmental landscape in Italy discusses the environmental regulations and policies of the country. The performance of the country in terms of in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies is also examined.
"The Italian economy has remained one of the poor performers in the eurozone. Irrespective of cyclical fluctuations, the Italian economy has been registering a low output growth due to its structural problems. The economy grew at a CAGR of 1.1% during 2000–06, and the global economic slowdown further dampened economic recovery. In 2006 the economy showed some signs of recovery by growing at a rate of 2%, but slid back to 1.5% in 2007. During the first nine months of 2007 there was a modest upturn, but growth in the industrial and service sectors declined in the last quarter. There was an increase in unit labor cost and in bank debt, particularly among SMEs. The country entered recession in 2008 when the economy contracted by 1.3%, which continued in 2009 with a contraction of 5.2%. However, the economy bounced back to a growth of 1.3% in 2010. According to Datamonitor forecasts economic growth is expected to be around 1% in 2011."
Your key questions answered
- What is the outlook in terms of political stability, policies towards businesses, external front and popularity of government in Italy?
- What is the economic performance of Italy in terms of GDP growth, fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, and employment among other economic indicators?
- What is the performance of Italy in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education?
- What is the performance of Italy in technology intensive sectors like telecommunications and information technology, patents and R&D expenditure trends?
- What is the legal structure in Italy and are the laws conducive for investment?
- What is the performance of Italy in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Key Facts and Geographic Location 10
Key facts 10
Geographical location 11
PESTLE Analysis 12
Political analysis 13
Economic analysis 16
Social analysis 19
Technological analysis 22
Legal analysis 25
Environmental analysis 28
Political Landscape 31
Structure and policies 34
Economic Landscape 42
Structure and policies 44
Social Landscape 61
Structure and policies 62
Technological Landscape 69
Structure and policies 69
Legal Landscape 75
Structure and policies 75
Environmental Landscape 80
Structure and policies 80
Ask the analyst 84
Datamonitor consulting 84
TABLE OF FIGURES
Figure 1: Map of Italy 11
Figure 2: Italy – key political events since 1920 33
Figure 3: Italy – key political figures 35
Figure 4: Composition of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, 2008 37
Figure 5: Italy – historical GDP growth (1991–2010) 43
Figure 6: GDP and GDP growth rate in Italy (real GDP at constant 2000 prices), 2004–14f 48
Figure 7: GDP composition by sector, 2010 49
Figure 8: Agricultural output of Italy, 2005–10 50
Figure 9: Industrial output of Italy, 2005–10 51
Figure 10: Services output of Italy, 2005–10 52
Figure 11: External trade of Italy, 2006–10 53
Figure 12: Total foreign investment in Italy, 2005–09 55
Figure 13: Consumer price index and CPI-based inflation in Italy, 2004–14f 56
Figure 14: Employment and growth rate in Italy, 2004–14f 58
Figure 15: Unemployment rate in Italy, 2004–14f 59
Figure 16: Healthcare expenditure in Italy, 2002–13f 66
Figure 17: Government expenditure on education in Italy, 2002–13f 68
Figure 18: Growth rate of mobile and fixed line subscribers in Italy, 2002–12f 72
Figure 19: Italy – judicial structure 76
Figure 20: Carbon dioxide emissions in Italy, 2003–10 83
Table 1: Italy – key fundamentals 5
Table 2: Italy – key facts 10
Table 3: Analysis of Italy’s political landscape 13
Table 4: Analysis of Italy’s economy 16
Table 5: Analysis of Italy’s social system 19
Table 6: Analysis of Italy’s technology landscape 22
Table 7: Analysis of Italy’s legal landscape 25
Table 8: Analysis of Italy’s environmental landscape 28
Table 9: Mid-year population by age, 2010 62
Table 10: Percentage of population in various quintiles, 2008–09 67
Table 11: Patents received by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2003–10 71
Table 12: Italy – individual income tax rates, 2010 77
Table 13: Key environmental measures 81