• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Country Analysis Report - Saudi Arabia - In-depth PESTLE Insights
MarketLine, September 2011, Pages: 68
The country analysis report on Saudi Arabia provides a wide array of analytical inputs to analyze the country’s performance, and the objective is to help the reader to make business decisions and prepare for the future. The report on Saudi Arabia analyzes the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure of Saudi Arabia. The report provides a holistic view of Saudi Arabia from historical, current and future perspective. Insightful analysis on critical current and future issues is presented through detailed SCPT (strengths, challenges, prospects and threats /risks) analysis for each of the PESTLE segments. In addition, the PESTLE segments are supplemented with relevant quantitative data to support trend analysis. The PESTLE country analysis report series provides an in-depth analysis of 50 major countries.
Features and Benefits
- Understanding gained from the country analysis report on Saudi Arabia can be used to plan business investments or market entry apart from a holistic view of the country.
- Political section on Saudi Arabia provides inputs about the political system, key figures in the country, and governance indicators.
- Economic section on Saudi Arabia outlines the economic story of the country to provide a balanced assessment on core macro-economic issues.
- Social section on Saudi Arabia enables understanding of customer demographics through the income distribution, rural-urban segmentation and centres of affluence, healthcare and educational scenario in the country.
- Technological section on Saudi Arabia provides strategic inputs on information communications and technology, technological laws and policies, technological gaps, patents data and relevant laws.
- Legal section on Saudi Arabia provides information about the legal structure, corporate laws, business set-up procedures and the tax regime.
- Environmental section provides information on environmental policies in Saudi Arabia and the performance in terms of important environmental indicators.
PESTLE analysis of Saudi Arabia identifies issues that affect the country’s performance through the prism of current strengths (strengths), current challenges (weaknesses), future prospects (opportunities) and future risks (threats).
The political landscape discusses the evolution of the political scenario in Saudi Arabia in different periods. The economic, social, foreign and defence policies are considered in the political landscape section. It also discusses the performance of the country as per World Bank Governance Indicators.
The economic landscape describes the evolution of the economy of Saudi Arabia in different periods. It also examines the country’s performance in terms of GDP growth, composition by sector (agriculture, industry and services), fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, banking sector and employment. The economic landscape also explains the financial system in the country, especially with regard to financial authorities/regulators.
The social landscape covers the demographics, education and healthcare scenario in Saudi Arabia. The social welfare policies of the government along with the country’s performance in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education are also provided.
The technological landscape discusses the structure and policies in terms of Intellectual property, research & development, technology agreements/pacts; and policies related to the promotion of technology in Saudi Arabia.
The legal landscape examines the structure of the judicial system, legislation affecting businesses, tax regulations, labor laws, trade regulations and corporate governance in Saudi Arabia.
The environmental landscape in Saudi Arabia discusses the environmental regulations and policies of the country. The performance of the country in terms of in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies is also examined.
"The Saudi Arabian economy registered an annual average growth of 4.0% during 2002–08. The economy decelerated in 2009, recording growth of 0.6% compared to 4.2% in 2008. The economy remains heavily dependent on oil, meaning that GDP growth will remain subject to oil prices and output. This was evident in 2009, when oil output cuts kept GDP growth at just 0.6%. However, the economy recovered to post growth of 3.6% in 2010."
Your key questions answered
- What is the outlook in terms of political stability, policies towards businesses, external front and popularity of government in Saudi Arabia?
- What is the economic performance of Saudi Arabia in terms of GDP growth, fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, and employment among other economic indicators?
- What is the performance of Saudi Arabia in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education?
- What is the performance of Saudi Arabia in technology intensive sectors like telecommunications and information technology, patents and R&D expenditure trends?
- What is the legal structure in Saudi Arabia and are the laws conducive for investment?
- What is the performance of Saudi Arabia in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies?
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Key Facts and Geographic Location 10
Key facts 10
Geographical location 11
PESTLE Analysis 12
Political analysis 13
Economic analysis 16
Social analysis 19
Technology analysis 22
Legal analysis 25
Environmental analysis 27
Political Landscape 30
Structure and policies 31
Economic Landscape 35
Structure and policies 36
Social Landscape 47
Structure and policies 47
Technological Landscape 54
Structure and policies 54
Legal Landscape 59
Structure and policies 59
Environmental Landscape 63
Structure and policies 63
Ask the analyst 68
Datamonitor consulting 68
TABLE OF FIGURES
Figure 1: Map of Saudi Arabia 11
Figure 2: Saudi Arabia – key political events timeline 30
Figure 3: Key political figure in Saudi Arabia 31
Figure 4: Historical GDP growth in Saudi Arabia, 1991–2010 36
Figure 5: GDP and GDP growth rate in Saudi Arabia, 2004–14 38
Figure 6: GDP composition by sector, 2009 39
Figure 7: Agricultural output of Saudi Arabia, 2005–10 40
Figure 8: Industrial output of Saudi Arabia, 2005–10 41
Figure 9: Service output of Saudi Arabia, 2005–10 42
Figure 10: External trade of Saudi Arabia, 2006–10 43
Figure 11: Consumer price index and CPI-based inflation in Saudi Arabia, 2004–14 45
Figure 12: Unemployment in Saudi Arabia, 2004–14 46
Figure 13: Expenditure on healthcare in Saudi Arabia, 2002–13 51
Figure 14: Expenditure on Education in Saudi Arabia, 2002–13 52
Figure 15: Mobile and fixed line telephone growth in Saudi Arabia, 2002–13 56
Figure 16: Internet users in Saudi Arabia, 2002–13 57
Figure 17: Carbon dioxide emissions in Saudi Arabia, 2002–13 66
Figure 18: Carbon fuel usage in Saudi Arabia, 2002–12 67
TABLE OF TABLES
Table 1: Saudi Arabia – key fundamentals 5
Table 2: Saudi Arabia – key facts 10
Table 3: Analysis of Saudi Arabia’s political landscape 13
Table 4: Analysis of the Saudi Arabian economy 16
Table 5: Analysis of the Saudi Arabian social system 19
Table 6: Analysis of Saudi Arabia’s technology landscape 22
Table 7: Analysis of the Saudi Arabian legal landscape 25
Table 8: Analysis of Saudi Arabia’s environmental landscape 27
Table 9: Mid-year population of Saudi Arabia age (millions), 2010 48