• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Work and the Mental Health Crisis in Britain
John Wiley and Sons Ltd, August 2011, Pages: 196
Based on recent data gathered from employees and managers, Work and the Mental Health Crisis in Britain challenges the cultural maxim that work benefits people with mental health difficulties, and illustrates how particular cultures and perceptions can contribute to a crisis of mental well-being at work.
- Based on totally new data gathered from employees and managers in the UK
- Presents a challenge to much of the conventional wisdom surrounding work and mental health
- Questions the fundamental and largely accepted cultural maxim that work is unquestionably good for people with mental health difficulties
- Illustrates how particular cultures of work or perceptions of the experience of work contribute to a crisis of mental well-being at work
- Fills a need for an up-to-date, detailed work that explores the ways that mental health and work experiences are constructed, negotiated, constrained and at times, marginalised
- Written in a style that is detailed and informative for academics and professionals who work in the mental health sphere, but also accessible to interested lay readers
About the authors.
Chapter 1 Introduction: Mental health, emotional well-being and 21st century work.
Chapter 2 Getting Britain back to work- a policy perspective.
Chapter 3 Mental Health and Work -Experiences of work.
Chapter 4 Techniques of identity governance and resistance: Formulating the neoliberal worker.
Chapter 5 Managing mental health in organisations.
Chapter 6 Work/Life Balance and the individualised responsibility of the neoliberal worker.
Chapter 7 Concluding thoughts.
"While this book is designed for academics and professionals who work in the mental health sphere, it is so well written and so clearly sincere that it makes it extremely accessible to anyone with a general interest in the subject." (RoSPA Occupational Safety & Health Journal, 10 February 2012)
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.