- Published: March 2010
- Region: Global
Analysis of the SSL Certificate Market
- Published: November 2011
- Region: Global
- 134 Pages
- Frost & Sullivan
SSL certificates are an essential piece of encryption technology for businesses who participate in e-commerce, need encryption on their servers, and validate their Web sites to prevent phishing attacks on users. The total global SSL market, while growing in certificates issued, is going through a slowdown in revenue growth. Unit shipments growth continues to stay strong, while revenue growth within the next several years is seen to be decreasing or stay relatively flat. This is attributed to heavy price erosion on the low-end of the market. Much debate has been around whether domain validated certificates have watered down the market.
The Need for Secure Lines of Data Transfer:
- For an organization to assure its consumers that data is being properly safeguarded, it must put in place the necessary security technologies.
- Regardless of the size of a business, it is crucial that an SSL certificate is in place on any Web page handling sensitive data, internally or externally.
- Legislation, such as the Payment Card Industry (PCI), requires organizations to protect data through encryption as it is transmitted to and from the Web server.
- Organizations utilize SSL certificates to secure internal data transfer.
- Prior to the global financial crisis and layoffs of 2008, internal threats were not highlighted.
- The rise of internal criminal activity caused a shift, and now protecting digital assets from both internal and external attacks drives the need for security technologies.
- SSL encryption, issued by a CA or by the organization, ensures private network Web pages are valid and secure.
Security in the Cloud:
- The migration to move assets and operations into the cloud has created new security challenges for organizations.
- Previously, security was a low priority for organizations moving to the cloud. However, the migration of data and applications has brought to light the necessity for security solutions suited for this environment.
- A problem organizations face when implementing SSL certificates in the cloud is that only one SSL certificate is issued per one IP address.
- Cloud models differ in the amount a customer pays to use the resources in the cloud, while certificates have validity for one or more years.
- CAs, such as GlobalSign, have developed a type of SSL certificate that allows one certificate to service many users’ on-demand requests for SSL certificates.
- Development of certificates that meet the high-level encryption capabilities of physical servers for the cloud will push a CA to a forefront position in the market. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Total SSL Certificate Market
- External Challenges: Drivers and Restraints
- Forecasts and Trends
- Market Share and Competitive Analysis
- Domain Validated SSL Certificate Segment Breakdown
- Organization Validated SSL Certificate Segment Breakdown
- Extended Validation SSL Certificate Segment Breakdown
The Last Word