- Language: English
- 488 Pages
- Published: February 2012
- Region: Global
Sustainability Performance Management Systems
- Published: October 2011
- Region: Global
- 5 Pages
- Green Research
Companies increasingly want to manage environmental performance like any other aspect of business performance. In some cases, they are held back by inadequate IT systems. Dissatisfaction with tools for tracking and reporting sustainability performance currently in use at many companies is driving demand for better systems and consulting help.
Drawing on a proprietary survey of senior sustainability executives at major corporations in North America and Europe, this study identifies what executives cite as short comings in their current systems, quantifies the spending plans aimed at upgrading those systems over the next 12 months, and identifies the corporate budgets providing the funds for these investments.
- How do sustainability executives see the strengths and weaknesses of current systems that track and report on environmental performance?
- What are leading companies’ spending plans for upgrading their systems?
- Which corporate departments control the budgets that will be tapped for software, hardware and consulting to improve environmental reporting systems?
Sustainability execs are broadly pleased with the accuracy and completeness of the sustainability information their current systems provide, but nearly 40 percent say their systems are poorly integrated and it remains too difficult to get the needed data. A third of companies surveyed plan to spend over $50,000 on systems upgrades in the coming year.
Who Needs this Report?
- Sustainability executives
- Senior executives and strategists
- Sustainability consultants
- Vendors of, ERP, EHS, carbon accounting and sustainability management systems
- Universities and sustainability research centers SHOW LESS READ MORE >
- Key Questions
- Key Finding
- Environmental Performance Should be Reported and Reviewed at Least Quarterly
- Many Execs Cite Poorly Integrated Systems for Tracking Environmental Performance
- Spending Planned to Improve Systems for Tracking and Reporting Environmental Information
- Opportunity for a Vendor Landscape Marked by FluidTerminology
- Sustainability Departments Control Funds for Environmental Reporting Systems
- Focus on Analytics and Integration
- Report Methodology
Table of Figures
- Figure 1 Executives’ Assessment of Current IT systems for Tracking and Reporting Environmental Performance
- Figure 2 Planned Spending on Software for Sustainability Tracking and Reporting
- Figure 3 Departments Funding Spending on Sustainability Performance Management Systems
- Carbon Guerrilla
- Carbon Systems
- Cloud Apps
- e3 Solutions
- FirstCarbon Solutions
- Locus Technologies