• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Japan B2C E-Commerce Report 2011
yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG, December 2011, Pages: 35
B2C E-Commerce in Japan shows signs of recovery
In its latest “Japan B2C E-Commerce Report 2011”, market research firm yStats.com, based in Hamburg, gives an interesting overview of the Japanese B2C E-Commerce market. In addition to trends, the report covers revenue figures, market shares, consumers and competitors.
Following the earthquake in Japan, the major Japanese B2C E-Commerce players experienced a decline in revenue. However, now consumers are again buying more online. Nonetheless, retailers are still worried about the long-term effects of the crisis.
Internet use continues to be very high in Japan
In 2010, the number of internet users reached approximately 100 million in Japan, which corresponds to approximately 80 % of the population. In 2011, more than 80 % of all Japanese internet users visited shopping websites. Additionally, in June 2011 they spent the longest time on blogging websites (more than an hour per day) worldwide. According to the “Japan B2C E-Commerce Report 2011” by yStats.com, in 2010 “Books” was the most popular B2C E-Commerce category followed by “Fashion”, “Music” and “Travel”. Based on unique visitor numbers, Rakuten was the most successful Japanese B2C E-Commerce player in September 2011, followed by Amazon and Nissen. Encouraged by its success, Rakuten has continued to expand globally through take-overs of international E-Commerce competitors such as British Play.com.
- The number of Internet users in Japan reached almost 100 million in 2010, accounting for almost 80% of the
- In January 2011, more than 80% of the Japanese Internet audience visited “Retail“ websites.
- Japanese Internet users spent most time on blogs worldwide in June 2011, as the average blog visitor spent
more than 1 hour visiting blogs.
- “Books“, “Clothes“ and “Music“ were the leading product categories in Japanese B2C E-Commerce in 2010.
- Generalists Rakuten.co.jp, Amazon.co.jp and Nissen.jp were the leading B2C E-Commerce players in Japan in
terms of unique visitors in October 2011."
- These market reports inform top managers about recent market trends and assist with strategic company decisions
- The authors provide secondary market research: By using various sources of information we ensure maximum objectivity for all obtained data. As a result companies get a precise and unbiased impression of the market situation.
- The analyses, statistical reports and forecasts are only based on reliable sources including national and international statistical offices, industry and trade associations, business reports, business and company databases, journals, company registries and news portals.
- The author’s international employees research and filter all sources and translate relevant information into English. This ensures that the content of the original studies is correctly interpreted.
- All research results delivered as PowerPoint files. All data can therefore be used directly for board presentations or be individually adapted.
*For sample page request please contact our customer service team
1. Management Summary
- Home-Shopping and B2C E-Commerce Trends in Japan, 2010
- Post Earthquake B2C E-Commerce Trends in Japan, 2011
- Japan’s Top Site Categories, in % of Total Audience Reach, January 2011
- Top Global Markets for Blog Category Usage, incl. average Minutes per Visitor and Percent Reach of Unique - - Visitors, June 2011
- Usage of mobile Devices in Japan, United States and Europe, in % of Subscribers, June 2010
- B2C E-Commerce Sales in Japan, in JPY trillion, 2006-2010
- B2C E-Commerce Sales in Japan, in USD billion, 2010 & 2015f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales of Fashion in Japan, in USD billion, 2009, 2010 & 2015f
- B2C E-Commerce Share on total Retail Sales in Japan, in %, 2006-2010
- Products purchased Online in Japan, in %, 2010
6. Users / Shoppers
- Internet Users in Japan, in millions and in % of Country Population, 2007-2010
- Internet Users in Japan, in millions and in % of Country Population, 2010 & 2015f
- Total Broadband Subscribers in Japan, compared to Germany, USA and the OECD, 2006-2010
- Broadband Subscribers per 100 Inhabitants in Japan, comp. to Germany, USA and OECD Average, 2006-2010
- Broadband Subscribers in Japan, by Access Technology, compared to the OECD Average in %, 2010
- Online Shoppers in Japan, in millions and in % of Internet Users, 2010 & 2015f
- Japan’s Top Retail Sites, by Number of Unique Visitors, in millions, January 2011
- Leading B2C E-Commerce Players in Japan; by Unique Visitors and Audience Reach, September 2011
- Facts about Rakuten.co.jp
- News about Rakuten.co.jp, 2011
- Facts about Amazon.jp
- Facts about Nissen.jp
- Yahoo! Shopping
- Rakuten Ichiba
- Rakuten Books