• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
South Korea B2C E-Commerce Report 2011
yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG, December 2011, Pages: 39
Internet use and B2C E-Commerce well established in South Korea
The latest “South Korea B2C E-Commerce Report 2011”, compiled by Hamburg-based market research firm yStats.com features important B2C E-Commerce facts and figures on South Korea. In addition to revenue figures, market shares and customers, the report also covers general online use, the latest trends and major competitors.
In 2010, the number of internet users in South Korea rose to more than 35 million. Growth rates were very low in the last few years, given that almost the whole population between 10 and 40 has already been using the internet for a while.
Credit card payment enjoys wide-spread popularity in South Korean B2C E-Commerce
South Koreans seem to be very open toward new technologies. As a result, B2C E-Commerce is very well established. Revenue in this area is expected to generate more than USD 20 billion by 2015. Credit card payments are very popular in this segment. More than 70 % of the total online trade volume is processed using this payment method. In addition to general revenue figures, the yStats.com “South Korea B2C E-Commerce Report 2011” also shows the most popular product categories in terms of market volume in 2010. These categories include “Fashion and fashion related products”, “Household appliances” and “Travel arrangements”. Mobile trade is another significant trend in B2C E-Commerce. In 2011, British super market chain Tesco opened a virtual grocery store, where users can purchase products using their smartphones.
- In 2010, the number of internet users in South Korea rose to more than 35 million.
- The market for regular retail stores in South Korea is saturated. As a result, retailers, especially supermarket chains, are more and more expanding into online business.
- In the second quarter of 2011, “Credit Card” was the most used payment option in B2C E-Commerce in South Korea, accounting for more than 70% of market value.
- The most popular product categories in South Korean B2C E-Commerce are “Fashion and fashion related products” and “Household appliances”.
- Gmarket.co.kr, 11st.ko.cr and Naver.com Shopping are leading players in B2C E-Commerce in South Korea
- Chinese shoppers are very enthusiastic about online shopping. As a result, the number of online shoppers is expected to increase to more than 300 million by 2015.
- Convenience and good deals are most frequently cited as the advantages of online shopping in China.
- Mobile shopping continues to gain ground in China. This trend can be attributed to the growing number of smartphone sales and the increased use of 3G networks.
- Tmall.com, 360buy.com and Amazon.cn are the leading players in Chinese B2C E-Commerce.
- In June 2011, the leading group shopping sites in China were Ju.taobao.com, Lashou.com and Meituan.com.
- These market reports inform top managers about recent market trends and assist with strategic company decisions
- The authors provide secondary market research: By using various sources of information we ensure maximum objectivity for all obtained data. As a result companies get a precise and unbiased impression of the market situation.
- The analyses, statistical reports and forecasts are only based on reliable sources including national and international statistical offices, industry and trade associations, business reports, business and company databases, journals, company registries and news portals.
- The author’s international employees research and filter all sources and translate relevant information into English. This ensures that the content of the original studies is correctly interpreted.
- All research results delivered as PowerPoint files. All data can therefore be used directly for board presentations or be individually adapted.
*For sample page request please contact our customer service team
1. Management Summary
- Online Shopping Activities of Supermarkets in South Korea, 2010
- Most popular Online Activities of Internet Users in South Korea, in %, February 2011
- Audience Reach of Retail and Travel Web Sites in South Korea, in %, October 2010
- Payment Methods in B2C E-Commerce in South Korea, in %, Q2 2011
- Social Commerce and Couponing Trends in South Korea
- M-Commerce Usage in South Korea, 2010; incl. economic Activities of Mobile Phone Users
- Mobile Payment Trends in South Korea, 2011
- B2C E-Commerce Sales in South Korea, in KRW trillion, 2008-2010
- B2C E-Commerce Sales in South Korea, in USD billion, 2010 & 2015f
- Share of B2C E-Commerce on total Retail Sales in South Korea, in %, 2008-2010
- E-Commerce by Products, in KRW billion and in %, 2009 vs. 2010
- E-Commerce by Products, in KRW billion and in %, Q2 2010, Q1 2011 & Q2 2011
6. Users / Shoppers
- Development of Internet Users (millions) and its Percentage of Country Population in S. Korea, 2000-2010
- Internet Users in South Korea, by Gender and Age, in % of the Population, 2010
- Total Broadband Subscribers in South Korea, compared to Germany, USA and the OECD, 2006-2010
- Broadband Subscribers per 100 Inhabitants in South Korea compared to Germany, USA and the OECD Average, 2006-2010
- Broadband Subscribers in South Korea, by Access Technology, compared to the OECD Average, in %, 2010
- Number of Online Shoppers in South Korea, in millions, 2010 & 2015f
- Online Shoppers in South Korea, by Gender and Age, in % of Internet Users, 2010
- Online Shopping Frequency, in % of Internet Users, 2010
- Monthly Consumer Expenses on Online Purchases, in %, 2010
- Leading Retail Websites in South Korea, by Unique Visitors, in millions, January 2011
- Facts about Gmarket.co.kr
- Facts about 11st.co.kr
- Facts about Shopping.naver.com
- News about Tesco/Homeplus, 2011
- News about Groupon.kr, 2011
- Daum.net Shopping
- Nate.com Shopping
- Samsung Group
- Naver.com Shopping 11st.co.kr
- Naver Shopping
- Tesco Supermarkets