• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Latin America B2C E-Commerce Report 2011
yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG, December 2011, Pages: 108
Great growth potential for Latin American B2C E-Commerce
In its “Latin America B2C E-Commerce Report 2011”, Hamburg-based market research firm yStats.com analyzes B2C E-Commerce in large parts of Latin America. The report features the biggest B2C E-Commerce players, revenue figures and internet users, along with online shoppers and recent trends. In addition to Brazil, which is the most important market, developments in nine other Latin American countries are highlighted as well.
In 2011, Brazil was the country with the highest number of internet users in Latin America, followed by Mexico, Argentina, Columbia, Venezuela, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Uruguay and Paraguay. Over the next few years, the number of online shoppers in Latin America is expected to grow annually by 20 %. In line with this trend, B2C E-Commerce revenue is expected to increase to 30 billion US dollar by 2013. Group shopping also continues to soar in popularity – in April 2011, Groupon was the leading competitor in this segment, followed by Groupalia, Peixeurbano and Clickon.
Brazil dominates online retail in Latin America
The number of online shoppers in Brazil has shown double digit growth, with more than 20 million people making online purchases in 2010. With 80 %, “shopping” is one of the most popular activities of Brazilian internet users. The yStats.com “Brazil B2C E-Commerce Report 2011” shows that some Brazilians shop frequently – almost one quarter of all online customers had already made more than ten online purchases in the first half of 2011. In line with this trend, B2C E-Commerce revenue has rapidly increased.
In the first half of 2011 alone, more revenue was generated than in all of 2008. “Household appliances”, “Computers” and “Health, beauty and drugs” were the leading product categories in the first half of 2011. In September 2011, the most successful E-Commerce retailers were BuscaPe, Mercado Lovre and B2W. Group shopping is an important trend in Brazil – in September 2011, the leading portals in this segment were SaveMe, ApontaOfertas and Groupon.
Argentina and Mexico further important B2C E-Commerce markets
In Argentina, the number of internet users reached more than 26 million in 2010. “Travel and tourism”, “Consumer electronics” and “Food, drinks and cleaning products” ranked as the most popular product categories; Falabella and Mercado Libre are the most successful players in this market. Internet users in Mexico are very young, with almost 40 % of them being younger than 18. B2C E-Commerce continues its rapid growth, with “Plane and bus tickets”, “Entertainment tickets” and “Hotel reservations” being the most popular product categories in 2010.
Young internet users in Latin America
In Chile, B2C E-Commerce revenue increased from 2009 to 2010 by more than 30 %. In Columbia, travel websites were visited by more than 3 million people in June 2011. However, there is still much room for growth in B2C E-Commerce, given that only 5 % of internet users shopped online in 2010. In Ecuador, there were almost four million internet users in 2010, with Almacenes de Prati being one of the most successful B2C E-Commerce players. As clearly shown in the yStats.com “Latin America B2C E-Commerce Report 2011”, Paraguay remains one of the least established B2C E-Commerce markets – in 2010, only 20 % of the population used the internet. “Education and learning”, “Searching for information” and “Communication” were the most frequent activities cited by online users.
In Peru, only 13 % of all households had internet access in 2010. In line with this trend, B2C E-Commerce is still underdeveloped, with Supermercados Wong being the biggest player in this segment. In Uruguay, half of all internet users were using the internet on a daily basis and in 2010, there were almost 400,000 online shoppers. “Computer accessories” and “Consumer electronics” were the leading product categories. In Venezuela the number of internet users totalled nearly 20 million in 2010. However, according to the “Latin America B2C E-Commerce Report 2011” by yStats.com, B2C E-Commerce is still not widely established due to the fact that the population has limited access to information and communication technologies."
- Brazil was the Latin American country with most Internet users in 2011, followed by Mexico and Argentina.
- B2C E-Commerce sales in Latin America are expected to increase by double-digits within the next years, reaching almost USD 30 billion by 2013.
- “Appliances” were the best selling product category in Brazilian B2C E-Commerce in the first half of 2011, followed by “Computers” and “Health, Beauty and Medications”.
- In Argentina, there were almost 9 million online shoppers in 2010, reaching more than 30% of total Internet users.
- Mexico has a very young online population, as almost 40% of Internet users were under 18 years old in 2010.
- These market reports inform top managers about recent market trends and assist with strategic company decisions
- The authors provide secondary market research: By using various sources of information we ensure maximum objectivity for all obtained data. As a result companies get a precise and unbiased impression of the market situation.
- The analyses, statistical reports and forecasts are only based on reliable sources including national and international statistical offices, industry and trade associations, business reports, business and company databases, journals, company registries and news portals.
- The author’s international employees research and filter all sources and translate relevant information into English. This ensures that the content of the original studies is correctly interpreted.
- All research results delivered as PowerPoint files. All data can therefore be used directly for board presentations or be individually adapted.
*For sample page request please contact our customer service team
1. Management Summary
2. Latin America: Regional
- B2C E-Commerce Trends, 2011
- Top 10 Countries by Internet Users, in millions, 2011
- Age Structure of Internet Users, by Country, in %, 2010
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2010 & 2013f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales per Inhabitant in selected Countries, in USD, Q1 2011
- Number of Online Shoppers, in millions, 2010 & 2013f
- Visitation (in thousands) and Reach (in %) for Coupon Category by Country, April 2011
- Top Websites in the Coupon Category, by Unique Visitors, in millions, April 2011
- B2C E-Commerce Trends in Brazil, 2011
- Average Time spent Online, by Country, in Hours per Month, May 2009 & May 2010
- Most popular online Activities in Brazil, in %, first Half 2011
- Number of online Purchases made in Brazil, in %, first Half 2011
- Average Ticket Size in B2C E-Commerce in Brazil, in BRL, 2007-2011f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales in Brazil, in BRL billion, 2007-2011f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales in Brazil, in BRL billion, first Half 2007-first Half 2011
- Share of B2C E-Commerce on total Retail Sales in Brazil, in %, 2007-2011f
- Leading Product Categories in B2C E-Commerce, in % of total Share, first Half 2011
- Internet Users in South America, by Country, in Million, May 2009 & May 2010
- Number of Internet Users in Brazil, in millions, 2009-2011f
- Internet Users by Region in Brazil, in % of unique Visitors, 2010
- Number of Online Shoppers in Brazil, in millions, 2006-2011
- Online Shoppers in Brazil by Region and Urbanization, in % of Internet Users, 2009
- Online Shoppers in Brazil by Age and Gender, in % of Internet Users, 2009
- Online Shoppers in Brazil by Education and Employment Status, in % of Internet Users, 2009
- Leading Online Retail Sites and Group Shopping Sites in Brazil, ranked by Unique Visitors, Sept. 2011
- Visitation and Reach for 10 selected Retail Web Sites, incl. total Unique Visitors (000), Reach (in %), Total Page Views (000), December 2010
- Facts about B2W
- Facts about Netshoes.com.br
- Facts about Pontofrio.com.br
- Visitation (in thousands), Reach (in %) and average Minutes for Top Internet Properties, April 2011
- Reasons for purchasing Online, in %, 2010
- Offered Payment Methods in B2C E-Commerce, in %, 2010
- B2C and C2C E-Commerce Sales, in ARS billion, 2001-2011f
- Breakdown of E-Commerce Sales into B2C and C2C, in % and ARS billion, 2010
- Product Categories by B2C E-Commerce Sales in ARS millions, in 2009 & 2010
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, 2001-2010
- Number of Online Shoppers (in millions) and Percentage of Internet Users (in %), 2001-2010
- Online Shoppers by Age Groups, in %, 2010
- Winners of Buenos Aires´ 2011 E-Commerce Day
- Visitation and Reach for Top Internet Properties, incl. total Unique Visitors (000), Reach (in %), Average Minutes per Visitor, May 2011
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD million, 2008-2010
- B2C E-Commerce Sales per Inhabitant, in USD, 2009-2010
- Internet Users (millions) and Penetration (in %), 2009-2010
- Demographic Analysis of Internet Users by Age and Gender, May 2011
- Winners of Santiago´s 2011 E-Commerce Day
- Share of Internet Users, in % of the Population, 2007-2010
- Internet Users by Age and Education, in %, 2010
- Frequency of Internet Usage, in %, 2009 & 2010
- Share of Online Shoppers, in %, 2010
- Winners of Bogota´s 2011 E-Commerce Day
- Travel and Subcategories by total Unique Visitors (000) and Change (%), Jun 2010-Jun 2011
- Top Travel Sites by total Unique Visitors (000) and Average Minutes, June 2011
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, 2009-2010
- Winners of Guayaquil´s 2011 E-Commerce Day
- Reasons for purchasing Online, in %, 2010 & 2011
- Average B2C E-Commerce Expenditure (MXN) of Consumers, in %, 2010 & 2011
- Visitation (in thousands) and Reach (in %) for Top Internet Properties, July 2011
- Share of Internet Categories, in % of Total Online Minutes, July 2011
- Most used Social Networks, in % of Social Network Users, 2010
- Offered Payment Methods in B2C E-Commerce, in %, 2010
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in MXN billion, 2007-2011f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2010 & 2016f
- Most Popular Product Categories in B2C E-Commerce, in %, 2010
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, 2005-2011f & 2014f
- Internet Users by Gender and Age, in %, 2010
- Online Shoppers in Mexico, in % of Internet Users, 2009-2010
- B2C E-Commerce Trends, 2011
- Internet Trends, 2011
- Main Internet Activities, in % of Internet Users, 2010
- Number of Internet Users (thousands) and Penetration (%), 2006-2010
- Internet Penetration by Age Group and Gender, in %, 2010
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD million, 2010 & 2011f
- Internet Access, in % of Households, 2004-2010
- Internet Users, by Gender and Age, in %, Q2 2011
- Winners of Lima´s 2011 E-Commerce Day
- B2C E-Commerce Trends, 2011
- Online Activities of Internet Users, in %, 2010
- Main Internet Activities, in % of Internet Users, 2009 & 2010
- Products purchased in B2C E-Commerce, in %, 2010
- Number of Internet Users (millions) and Penetration (%), 2009-2010
- Frequency of Internet Usage, in % of Internet Users, 2010
- Internet Penetration by Age Group, 2010
- Distribution of Internet Users bv Gender, in %, 2009-2010
- Number of Online Shoppers, in thousands, 2008 & 2010
- Online Shoppers by Age and Gender, in % of Internet Users, 2010
- Internet and E-Commerce Trends
- Number of Internet Users (millions) and Share of Population (in %), 2005-2010
- Internet Users by Age and Gender, in %, 2009
- Almaecenes Exito