• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Country Analysis Report - Colombia - In-depth PESTLE Insights
MarketLine, November 2011, Pages: 79
The country analysis report on Colombia provides a wide array of analytical inputs to analyze the country’s performance, and the objective is to help the reader to make business decisions and prepare for the future. The report on Colombia analyzes the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure of Colombia. The report provides a holistic view of Colombia from historical, current and future perspective. Insightful analysis on critical current and future issues is presented through detailed SCPT (strengths, challenges, prospects and threats /risks) analysis for each of the PESTLE segments. In addition, the PESTLE segments are supplemented with relevant quantitative data to support trend analysis. The PESTLE country analysis report series provides an in-depth analysis of 50 major countries.
Features and Benefits
- Understanding gained from the country analysis report on Colombia can be used to plan business investments or market entry apart from a holistic view of the country.
- Political section on Colombia provides inputs about the political system, key figures in the country, and governance indicators.
- Economic section on Colombia outlines the economic story of the country to provide a balanced assessment on core macro-economic issues.
- Social section on Colombia enables understanding of customer demographics through the income distribution, rural-urban segmentation and centres of affluence, healthcare and educational scenario in the country.
- Technological section on Colombia provides strategic inputs on information communications and technology, technological laws and policies, technological gaps, patents data and relevant laws.
- Legal section on Colombia provides information about the legal structure, corporate laws, business set-up procedures and the tax regime.
- Environmental section provides information on environmental policies in Colombia and the performance in terms of important environmental indicators.
PESTLE analysis of Colombia identifies issues that affect the country’s performance through the prism of current strengths (strengths), current challenges (weaknesses), future prospects (opportunities) and future risks (threats).
The political landscape discusses the evolution of the political scenario in Colombia in different periods. The economic, social, foreign and defence policies are considered in the political landscape section. It also discusses the performance of the country as per World Bank Governance Indicators.
The economic landscape describes the evolution of the economy of Colombia in different periods. It also examines the country’s performance in terms of GDP growth, composition by sector (agriculture, industry and services), fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, banking sector and employment. The economic landscape also explains the financial system in the country, especially with regard to financial authorities/regulators.
The social landscape covers the demographics, education and healthcare scenario in Colombia. The social welfare policies of the government along with the country’s performance in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education are also provided.
The technological landscape discusses the structure and policies in terms of Intellectual property, research & development, technology agreements/pacts; and policies related to the promotion of technology in Colombia.
The legal landscape examines the structure of the judicial system, legislation affecting businesses, tax regulations, labor laws, trade regulations and corporate governance in Colombia.
The environmental landscape in Colombia discusses the environmental regulations and policies of the country. The performance of the country in terms of in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies is also examined.
"The Colombian economy registered an average annual growth rate of 4.3% during 2002–10. The economy suffered through a sharp recession during 1998–99, resulting in a slide in the country's currency and a degree of financial sector distress. Since then, there has been a return to positive growth, although the economy remains extremely sluggish. However, an IMF-supported fiscal adjustment program has helped to control the fiscal deficit and the process of economic liberalization. Economic growth has remained steady since 2000. The economy registered a growth rate of 6.9% in 2007, which declined to 3.1% in 2008. Due to the global economic slowdown, GDP growth decelerated further to 1.5% in 2009. However, strong domestic consumption, private investment, public expenditure, and exports pushed economic growth to 4.3% in 2010. According to Datamonitor estimates, the economy is expected to grow 4.7% in 2011."
Your key questions answered
- What is the outlook in terms of political stability, policies towards businesses, external front and popularity of government in Colombia?
- What is the economic performance of Colombia in terms of GDP growth, fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, and employment among other economic indicators?
- What is the performance of Colombia in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education?
- What is the performance of Colombia in technology intensive sectors like telecommunications and information technology, patents and R&D expenditure trends?
- What is the legal structure in Colombia and are the laws conducive for investment?
- What is the performance of Colombia in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies?
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Key Facts and Geographic Location 10
Key facts 10
Geographical location 11
PESTLE Analysis 12
Political analysis 13
Economic analysis 17
Social analysis 20
Technological analysis 23
Legal analysis 26
Environmental analysis 28
Political Landscape 31
Structure and policies 33
Economic Landscape 40
Structure and policies 41
Social Landscape 57
Structure and policies 57
Technological Landscape 64
Structure and policies 64
Legal Landscape 70
Structure and policies 70
Environmental Landscape 74
Structure and policies 74
Ask the analyst 79
Datamonitor consulting 79
TABLE OF FIGURES
Figure 1: Map of Colombia 11
Figure 2: Colombia – key political events timeline 32
Figure 3: Key political figures in Colombia 33
Figure 4: Composition of the Chamber of Representatives (lower house) 35
Figure 5: Historical GDP growth rate in Colombia, 1991–2010 41
Figure 6: Market capitalization of the BVC, 2003–10 43
Figure 7: GDP and GDP growth rate in Colombia, 2004–14 45
Figure 8: GDP composition by sectors, 2010 46
Figure 9: Agriculture output of Colombia, 2005–10 47
Figure 10: Industrial output of Colombia, 2005–10 48
Figure 11: Services output of Colombia, 2005–10 49
Figure 12: External trade of Colombia, 2006–10 50
Figure 13: Current account balance of Colombia, 2005–10 51
Figure 14: Total foreign direct investment in Colombia, 2005–10 53
Figure 15: Consumer price index and consumer price index-based inflation in Colombia, 2004–14 54
Figure 16: Unemployment and rate of unemployment in Colombia, 2004–14 55
Figure 17: Employment and growth rate in Colombia, 2004–14 56
Figure 18: Major religions of Colombia, 2010 59
Figure 19: Government expenditure on healthcare in Colombia, 2003–13 61
Figure 20: Expenditure on education in Colombia, 2003–13 62
Figure 20: Growth rate of mobile and fixed line subscribers in Colombia, 2002–12 66
Figure 21: Internet users and growth rate in Colombia, 2002–13 67
Figure 22: Carbon dioxide emissions in Colombia, 2003–10 77
Figure 23: Carbon fuel usage in Colombia, 2003–10 78
TABLE OF TABLES
Table 1: Colombia – key fundamentals 5
Table 2: Colombia – key facts 10
Table 3: Analysis of Colombia’s political landscape 13
Table 4: Analysis of the Colombian economy 17
Table 5: Analysis of Colombia’s social system 20
Table 6: Analysis of Colombia’s technological landscape 23
Table 7: Analysis of Colombia’s legal landscape 26
Table 8: Analysis of Colombia’s environmental landscape 28
Table 9: Mid-year population of Colombia by age (millions), 2010 58
Table 10: Patents received by US Patent and Trademark Office, 2003–10 68