- Language: English
- 60 Pages
- Published: June 2013
- Region: Algeria
Country Analysis Report - Philippines - In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Published: November 2011
- Region: Philippines
- 78 pages
The country analysis report on Philippines provides a wide array of analytical inputs to analyze the country’s performance, and the objective is to help the reader to make business decisions and prepare for the future. The report on Philippines analyzes the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure of Philippines. The report provides a holistic view of Philippines from historical, current and future perspective. Insightful analysis on critical current and future issues is presented through detailed SCPT (strengths, challenges, prospects and threats /risks) analysis for each of the PESTLE segments. In addition, the PESTLE segments are supplemented with relevant quantitative data to support trend analysis. The PESTLE country analysis report series provides an in-depth analysis of 50 major countries.
Features and Benefits
- Understanding gained from the country analysis report on Philippines can be used to plan business investments or market entry apart from a holistic view of the country.
- Political section on Philippines provides inputs about the political system, key figures in the country, and governance indicators.
- Economic section on Philippines outlines the economic story of the country to provide a balanced assessment on core macro-economic issues.
- Social section on Philippines enables understanding of customer demographics through the income distribution, rural-urban segmentation and centres of affluence, healthcare and educational scenario in the country.
- Technological section on Philippines provides strategic inputs on information communications and technology, technological laws and policies, technological gaps, patents data and relevant laws.
- Legal section on Philippines provides information about the legal structure, corporate laws, business set-up procedures and the tax regime.
- Environmental section provides information on environmental policies in Philippines and the performance in terms of important environmental indicators.
PESTLE analysis of Philippines identifies issues that affect the country’s performance through the prism of current strengths (strengths), current challenges (weaknesses), future prospects (opportunities) and future risks (threats).
The political landscape discusses the evolution of the political scenario in Philippines in different periods. The economic, social, foreign and defence policies are considered in the political landscape section. It also discusses the performance of the country as per World Bank Governance Indicators.
The economic landscape describes the evolution of the economy of Philippines in different periods. It also examines the country’s performance in terms of GDP growth, composition by sector (agriculture, industry and services), fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, banking sector and employment. The economic landscape also explains the financial system in the country, especially with regard to financial authorities/regulators.
The social landscape covers the demographics, education and healthcare scenario in Philippines. The social welfare policies of the government along with the country’s performance in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education are also provided.
The technological landscape discusses the structure and policies in terms of Intellectual property, research & development, technology agreements/pacts; and policies related to the promotion of technology in Philippines.
The legal landscape examines the structure of the judicial system, legislation affecting businesses, tax regulations, labor laws, trade regulations and corporate governance in Philippines.
The environmental landscape in Philippines discusses the environmental regulations and policies of the country. The performance of the country in terms of in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies is also examined.
"Although the annual economic growth rate was recorded at around 6% during 2006 and 2007, the global economic crisis led to a slowdown, with growth falling to 4.2% in 2008. It further decelerated to 1% in 2009. However, the economy rebounded with growth of 7.6% in 2010. Future growth prospects are linked with reforms undertaken to improve macroeconomic stability and address structural problems.."
Your key questions answered
- What is the outlook in terms of political stability, policies towards businesses, external front and popularity of government in Philippines?
- What is the economic performance of Philippines in terms of GDP growth, fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, and employment among other economic indicators?
- What is the performance of Philippines in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education?
- What is the performance of Philippines in technology intensive sectors like telecommunications and information technology, patents and R&D expenditure trends?
- What is the legal structure in Philippines and are the laws conducive for investment?
- What is the performance of Philippines in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Key Facts and Geographic Location 10
Key facts 10
Geographical location 11
PESTLE Analysis 12
Political analysis 13
Economic analysis 17
Social analysis 20
Technological analysis 23
Legal analysis 26
Environmental analysis 29
Political Landscape 31
Structure and policies 34
Economic Landscape 40
Structure and policies 41
Social Landscape 58
Structure and policies 58
Technological Landscape 64
Structure and policies 64
Legal Landscape 69
Structure and policies 69
Environmental Landscape 74
Structure and policies 74
Ask the analyst 78
Datamonitor consulting 78
TABLE OF FIGURES
Figure 1: Map of the Philippines 11
Figure 2: The Philippines – political events timeline 33
Figure 3: The Philippines – key political figures 34
Figure 4: Elected members of the Philippines’ House of Representatives, 2010 35
Figure 5: Historical GDP growth, 1991–2010 41
Figure 6: Market capitalization of the PSE, 2003–10 43
Figure 7: GDP and GDP growth rate in the Philippines, 2002–13 44
Figure 8: Composition of GDP by sector in the Philippines, 2010 45
Figure 9: Agricultural output of the Philippines, 2005–10 46
Figure 10: Industrial output of the Philippines, 2005–10 47
Figure 11: Services output of the Philippines, 2005–10 48
Figure 12: Current account balance of the Philippines, 2005–10 50
Figure 13: External trade of the Philippines, 2006–10 51
Figure 14: Balance of trade in the Philippines, 2006–10 52
Figure 15: Total foreign investment in the Philippines, 2005–10 53
Figure 16: Consumer price index (CPI) and cpi-based inflation in the Philippines, 2004–14 54
Figure 17: Employment and growth rate in the Philippines, 2004–14 55
Figure 18: Unemployment in the Philippines, 2004–14 56
Figure 19: The Philippines – composition of religion 60
Figure 20: Healthcare expenditure in the Philippines, 2002–13 62
Figure 20: Government expenditure on education in the Philippines, 2002–13 63
Figure 21: Growth rate of mobile and fixed line subscribers in the Philippines, 2002–12 66
Figure 22: Internet users and growth rate in the Philippines, 2002–13 67
Figure 23: Carbon dioxide emissions in the Philippines, 2003–10 76
Table 1: The Philippines – key fundamentals 5
Table 2: The Philippines – key facts 10
Table 3: Analysis of the Philippines’ political landscape 13
Table 4: Analysis of the Philippines’ economy 17
Table 5: Analysis of the Philippines’ social system 20
Table 6: Analysis of the Philippines’ technology landscape 23
Table 7: Analysis of the Philippines’ legal landscape 26
Table 8: Analysis of the Philippines’ environmental landscape 29
Table 9: Mid-year population by age (millions), 2010 59
Table 10: Patents granted by USPTO, 2003–10 65
Table 11: Individual income tax rates, 2010 70