- Published: March 2010
- Region: Canada
Country Analysis Report - Venezuela - In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Published: October 2011
- Region: Venezuela
- 68 pages
The country analysis report on Venezuela provides a wide array of analytical inputs to analyze the country’s performance, and the objective is to help the reader to make business decisions and prepare for the future. The report on Venezuela analyzes the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure of Venezuela. The report provides a holistic view of Venezuela from historical, current and future perspective. Insightful analysis on critical current and future issues is presented through detailed SCPT (strengths, challenges, prospects and threats /risks) analysis for each of the PESTLE segments. In addition, the PESTLE segments are supplemented with relevant quantitative data to support trend analysis. The PESTLE country analysis report series provides an in-depth analysis of 50 major countries.
Features and Benefits
- Understanding gained from the country analysis report on Venezuela can be used to plan business investments or market entry apart from a holistic view of the country.
- Political section on Venezuela provides inputs about the political system, key figures in the country, and governance indicators.
- Economic section on Venezuela outlines the economic story of the country to provide a balanced assessment on core macro-economic issues.
- Social section on Venezuela enables understanding of customer demographics through the income distribution, rural-urban segmentation and centres of affluence, healthcare and educational scenario in the country.
- Technological section on Venezuela provides strategic inputs on information communications and technology, technological laws and policies, technological gaps, patents data and relevant laws.
- Legal section on Venezuela provides information about the legal structure, corporate laws, business set-up procedures and the tax regime.
- Environmental section provides information on environmental policies in Venezuela and the performance in terms of important environmental indicators.
PESTLE analysis of Venezuela identifies issues that affect the country’s performance through the prism of current strengths (strengths), current challenges (weaknesses), future prospects (opportunities) and future risks (threats).
The political landscape discusses the evolution of the political scenario in Venezuela in different periods. The economic, social, foreign and defence policies are considered in the political landscape section. It also discusses the performance of the country as per World Bank Governance Indicators.
The economic landscape describes the evolution of the economy of Venezuela in different periods. It also examines the country’s performance in terms of GDP growth, composition by sector (agriculture, industry and services), fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, banking sector and employment. The economic landscape also explains the financial system in the country, especially with regard to financial authorities/regulators.
The social landscape covers the demographics, education and healthcare scenario in Venezuela. The social welfare policies of the government along with the country’s performance in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education are also provided.
The technological landscape discusses the structure and policies in terms of Intellectual property, research & development, technology agreements/pacts; and policies related to the promotion of technology in Venezuela.
The legal landscape examines the structure of the judicial system, legislation affecting businesses, tax regulations, labor laws, trade regulations and corporate governance in Venezuela.
The environmental landscape in Venezuela discusses the environmental regulations and policies of the country. The performance of the country in terms of in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies is also examined.
"The Venezuelan economy grew at 3.4% during 2001. The GDP growth rate fell during 2002 and 2003, with the economy contracting by more than 7% in 2003. However, due to increasing oil revenues, the country’s GDP grew by 8.5% in 2007. The global economic slowdown and low oil prices brought the country’s GDP growth down to 5% in 2008, and in 2009 the economy contracted by 3.3%. The economy contracted by 1.5% in 2010. According to Datamonitor’s estimates, the economy is expected to recover in 2011 to grow at 1.7%.."
Your key questions answered
- What is the outlook in terms of political stability, policies towards businesses, external front and popularity of government in Venezuela?
- What is the economic performance of Venezuela in terms of GDP growth, fiscal situation, international investment position, monetary situation, credit disbursement, and employment among other economic indicators?
- What is the performance of Venezuela in terms of healthcare, income distribution and education?
- What is the performance of Venezuela in technology intensive sectors like telecommunications and information technology, patents and R&D expenditure trends?
- What is the legal structure in Venezuela and are the laws conducive for investment?
- What is the performance of Venezuela in terms of environmental indicators and impact of environmental policies? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Key Facts and Geographic Location 10
Key facts 10
Geographical location 11
PESTLE Analysis 12
Political analysis 13
Economic analysis 16
Social analysis 19
Technological analysis 22
Legal analysis 24
Environmental analysis 27
Political Landscape 29
Structure and policies 31
Economic Landscape 35
Structure and policies 36
Social Landscape 49
Structure and policies 49
Technological Landscape 55
Structure and policies 55
Legal Landscape 60
Structure and policies 60
Environmental Landscape 64
Structure and policies 64
Ask the analyst 68
Datamonitor consulting 68
TABLE OF FIGURES
Figure 1: Map of Venezuela 11
Figure 2: Venezuela – political events timeline 29
Figure 3: Venezuela – key political figures 31
Figure 4: Distribution of seats, 2010 32
Figure 5: Historical GDP growth rate of Venezuela, 1991–2010 36
Figure 6: GDP and GDP growth rate of Venezuela, 2004–14 38
Figure 7: Sector specific GDP in Venezuela, 2011 39
Figure 8: Agricultural output in Venezuela, 2005–10 40
Figure 9: Industrial output in Venezuela, 2005–10 41
Figure 10: Services output in Venezuela, 2005–10 42
Figure 11: Venezuela’s external trade position, 2006–10 44
Figure 12: Consumer price index and inflation in Venezuela, 2004–14 46
Figure 13: Unemployment in Venezuela, 2004–14 47
Figure 14 Major religions in Venezuela 51
Figure 15: Healthcare expenditure in Venezuela, 2002–13 53
Figure 16: Growth of fixed and mobile phones in Venezuela, 2002–13 57
Figure 17: Internet users in Venezuela, 2002–13 58
TABLE OF TABLES
Table 1: Venezuela – key fundamentals 5
Table 2: Venezuela – key facts 10
Table 3: Analysis of Venezuela’s political landscape 13
Table 4: Analysis of Venezuela’s economic landscape 16
Table 5: Analysis of Venezuela’s social landscape 19
Table 6: Analysis of Venezuela’s technology landscape 22
Table 7: Analysis of Venezuela’s legal landscape 24
Table 8: Analysis of Venezuela’s environmental landscape 27
Table 9: Mid-year population by age (millions) in 2010 50
Table 10: Patents received by Venezuela, 2002–10 56
Table 11: International environmental treaties signed and ratified by Venezuela 66