• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
New Developments in Retail-Ready Packaging
Scripp Business Insights, December 2011, Pages: 96
Retail-ready packaging offers multiple benefits in terms of operational efficiencies and brand enhancement. A high-growth area with relatively few key players, opportunities exist in the established European market where technological advances are crucial to the uptake or RRP and in less developed markets like Asia and North America, where RRP is under-utilized for a variety of factors.
Features and benefits:
- Understand the benefits and challenges of retail-ready packaging to manufacturers, retailers, and consumers.
- Consider the optimum design features of successful retail-ready packaging.
- Gain an insight into the size of the retail-ready packaging market – and how it is forecast to grow.
- Explore new technologies that are having an impact on innovation in retail-ready packaging.
- Identify key players in the retail-ready packaging space.
- Market opportunities exist in the Asia-Pacific region where the packaging market is growing in response to changing consumption patterns in the grocery sector, and in North America where RRP is under-utilized despite the size of its grocery market.
- The use of new technologies in corrugated board such as die cut boxes, in microfluting, and in higher quality finishing and printing techniques is creating exciting opportunities – and demand - for more robust, lightweight, and eye-catching RRP designs.
- The RRP market is dominated by a small number of large companies with interests in corrugated packaging including Smurfit Kappa, Amcor, DS Smith and Mondi, as well as a handful of key players with a smaller but highly specialized stake in the RRP market such as SCA Packaging, i2i Europe, and Industrial Packaging Group
Your key questions answered:
- How can RRP benefit my business and my customers?
- What are the costs involved in implementing RRP?
- What are the key features of successful retail-ready packaging?
- What new technologies are impacting the development of RRP?
- Where are the big market opportunities in the retail-ready packaging space?
- Main trends in RRP
- New technologies in retail-ready packaging
- Industry and the retail-ready packaging sector
- Conclusions and trend projections
- Different forms of retail-ready packaging
-- Replenishment-ready packaging
-- Shelf-ready packaging (SRP)
-- Display-ready packaging
-- Infrastructure-ready packaging (IRP)
- Features of RRP
- Advantages of RRP
-- Cost benefits of RRP
-- Impact of RRP on store labor costs
-- Space utilization
-- Point-of-sale (POS) benefits
- Cost implications of RRP
-- European environmental legislation
-- UK sustainability initiatives: WRAP and the Courtauld Commitment
-- Environmental legislation in Asia Pacific
- Other legislation
Main trends in retail-ready packaging
- The consumer packaging market
-- The wider picture
- Retail-ready packaging
-- Regional breakdown
- Consumer behavior
- Retail trends
New technologies in retail-ready packaging
- What are the leading technologies and strategies defining the market?
- Corrugated board / microflute
-- Microflute printing
-- Innovation in microfluting
- Plastics / bioplastics
- Display-ready packaging
-- Shelf-ready packaging
- Returnable / re-usable packaging
-- Package design
-- Increased printing quality
-- Optimal product counts
- Issues with RRP
Industry players in the RRP sector
- Major RRP players
-- Smurfit Kappa
-- DS Smith
- Smaller RRP players
-- SCA Packaging
-- i2i Europe
-- Industrial Packaging Group
-- Bosch Packaging Systems
- Retailer case studies
Conclusions and future trends
- RRP market forecasts
- Cost benefits
-- Case study - UK supermarket sector
-- Co-operation is a must
- Glossary / Abbreviations
Table: Consumer packaging market, regional breakdown (%), 2010
Table: Consumer packaging market by material (% of value) 2010
Table: Standards for US corrugated flutes
Figure: Example of shelf-ready packaging
Figure: Display-ready packaging
Figure: Benefits and challenges associated with RRP
Figure: Houdek sausages DRP
Figure: Indirect labor costs generated per product vs. RRP efficiencies
Figure: US retailers – number of stores, sq. ft./store, SKUS/store and sq. ft./SKU
Figure: Potential cost implications of RRP
Figure: Co-op reduced packaging for its own label tomato puree through RRP
Figure: K-Roll retractable wheel pallets
Figure: Value of the consumer packaging market ($bn), 2006-2016
Figure: RRP market ($bn), 2010-2016
Figure: Top ten global grocery markets ($, millions) 2006-2014
Figure: Advantages of micro-flute
Figure: Constellation wine pack using R Flute RRP technology
Figure: Shelf-ready packaging for Sainsbury’s sliced cheeses
Figure: P&G shelf-ready packaging for Alldays
Figure: Crystal Clear Trays
Figure: STI variable tray concept
Figure: How to avoid usage issues with RRP
Figure: Major RRP players
Figure: Cross-section of Smurfit Kappa solid board
Figure: Cross-section of Smartboard
Figure: Example of DS Smith RRP products
Figure: Otor’s 8 corner box
Figure: Mondi RRP examples
Figure: Smaller RRP players
Figure: PDQ trays
Figure: Oral B RRP for Walmart in the US
Figure: Kroger cost-matrix for SRP
Figure: Consumer packaging market forecast value ($, billions) and volume (tonnes, millions) 2010-2016
Figure: RRP packaging market forecast value ($, billions) and volume (tonnes, millions) 2010-2016
- Atos S.A.
- Edel AG
- Hutchison 3G UK Limited
- J Sainsbury plc
- Mondi Group
- Otor S.A.
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- SCA Packaging
- Schindler Holding Ltd.
- The World Bank
- Videocon Industries Ltd.
- Vincor Canada
- WM Morrison Supermarkets Plc