- Language: English
- 250 Pages
- Published: November 2011
- Region: Great Britain, United Kingdom
Domestic Decking and Landscaping Materials Market Report - UK 2012-2016 Analysis
- Published: February 2012
- Region: United Kingdom
- 92 Pages
- AMA Research
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 7th edition of the report ‘Domestic Decking and Landscaping Materials Market Report – UK 2012-2016 Analysis’. The report provides an informed and up-to-date review of this market as we enter 2012, and includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years.
The report contains:
DETAILED ASSESSMENT OF THE MARKET – analysis of the market structure and recent developments in the market.
FORECASTS OF MARKET DEVELOPMENTS TO 2016.
ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT GROUP - market sizes, product mixes and sector trends:
Hard landscaping - including decking, paving and walling, fencing, trellis & garden structures, and aggregates.
Garden decoration - including pots & planters, water features & decorative products, and external lighting
Soft landscaping - including bedding plants, nursery stock, bulbs and seeds.
Of particular interest are the following:
Analysis of market performance during economic downturn.
Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics (eg: impact of reversal of trend towards affluent/time-rich 50-65 age groups).
Product group analysis – market sizes, influences, trends and forecasts.
Review of key suppliers for different product categories – key players, product profiles, market positioning, turnovers etc
Review of distribution structure – key channels - garden centres, DIY multiples, builders merchants, growth of internet 2010-2011.
Forecast of market performance to 2016.
Some of the companies featured include:
AVS Fencing Supplies, B&Q, Barton Grange, BDC, Blue Diamond, Bouchier Fencing, Crocus, Decco, Dobbies Garden Centres, Elho, Feature DECO, Forest Garden, Garden & Leisure Group, Garden Direct, Gardening Direct, Golden Acres, Grange Fencing, Greenfingers, Haddonstone, Haskins Garden Centres, Hillier Garden Centres, Hillview Group, Home Hardware Southwest, Homebase, Honeysuckle Bottom Sawmill, Hutton Garden Products, Interpet, J Parker, Jacksons Fencing, Klondyke Garden Centres, La Hacienda, Maidenhead Aquatics, Minsterstone, Mr Fothergills, Notcutts, OA Taylors & Sons, OAL (Oasis, Atlantis, Lotus) Water Garden Products, Oase, Otter Nurseries, Outdoor Life Group, Outland Stone, Rockways, Rowlinson Garden Products, Saint-Gobain, Sankey, Smart Solar Inc, Solus Garden & Leisure, Somerlap Forest Products, Squires, Stax Trade Centres, Stewart Plastics, Suttons Seeds, The Garden Centre Group, The Stoneballs Company, The World of Water Group, Thumbs Up, Travis Perkins, Trident Water Gardens, Van Hage, Webbs Garden Centres, Westland Horticulture, WFSBorder, Wickes, Wilfirs, Willowstone Garden Products, Winchester Growers, Wolseley.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Domestic decking and landscaping materials market – market definition in terms of product categories included – share mix between hard, soft landscaping and decorative products.
- Market size - analysis by value from 2006-2011, key characteristics of the market.
- Market trends and major factors influencing the market - including the impact of economic climate, performance of housebuilding/housemoving sector, resurgence of interest in ‘grow-your-own’, DIY trends, attitudes towards gardens, longer term demographics (eg: reversal of trend towards time-rich/affluent 50-65 age groups etc).
- Market forecasts – market size, prospects and influencing factors on market for 2009-2011. Short term prospects in 2012/13 and up to 2016.
- Product groups reviewed:-
- Hard Landscaping - paving and walling, fencing, trellis & garden structures, decking, aggregates.
- Garden Decoration - pots & planters, water features & decorative products, external lighting.
- Soft Landscaping - bedding plants, nursery stock, bulbs and seeds.
- Estimated shares in 2011 of main product groups within each sector.
- Product groups – definition, market size 2006-2016 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector. Future prospects.
- Decking Sector – market values 2006-16, volumes 2006-11, material mix, product mix (deckboards, balustrading, joists etc.), key suppliers etc.
SUPPLIERS OF LANDSCAPING MATERIAL PRODUCTS
- Overview of supply structure – complex structure with different product sectors having a variety of distribution channels.
- Identification of main suppliers by product group - product profiles, turnovers etc
- Review of distribution channels – estimated shares of channels including garden centres, DIY multiples, builders merchants, internet/mail order, independents etc.
- Review of key suppliers in each distribution channel - market shares, turnovers, company structure, key areas of specialization etc.
- Forecast of market developments in 2012/13 and long term prospects.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market – performance of UK economy, housebuilding and consumer confidence & spending.
- Outlook for the decking and landscaping materials market through to 2016. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
4. DOMESTIC DECKING AND LANDSCAPING MARKET
4.2 OVERALL LANDSCAPING MARKET
4.3 MARKET SIZE
4.4 SECTOR MIX
4.5 PRODUCT MIX
4.6 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
4.6.1 Population Profile
4.6.2 The Housing Market
4.6.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions
4.6.4 Housing Transactions
5. HARD LANDSCAPING PRODUCTS
5.2 MARKET SIZE
5.3 MIX OF PRODUCTS IN DOMESTIC HARD LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET
5.4 DOMESTIC DECKING
5.4.1 Market Size by Value and Volume
5.4.2 Materials Mix in the UK Decking Market
5.4.3 Supply and Distribution of Timber Decking
5.5 PAVING AND WALLING
5.5.1 Key Suppliers of Paving and Walling Products
5.6.1 Market Size
5.6.2 Key Suppliers of Aggregates
5.7 TIMBER FENCING, TRELLIS AND GARDEN STRUCTURES
5.7.1 Market Size
5.7.2 Product Mix of Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures
5.7.3 Key Suppliers of Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures
6 GARDEN DECORATION PRODUCTS
6.1 MARKET DEFINITION
6.2 MARKET SIZE
6.3 PRODUCT MIX
6.4 POTS AND PLANTERS
6.4.1 Market Size
6.4.2 Key Suppliers of Pots and Planters
6.5 WATER FEATURES AND DECORATIVE PRODUCTS
6.5.1 Market Size
6.6.1 Market Size
6.6.2 Key Suppliers of Garden Lighting
7. THE ‘SOFT’ LANDSCAPING MARKET
7.2 MARKET SIZE
7.3 PRODUCT MIX
7.3.1 Nursery Stock and Bedding Plants
7.3.2 Bulbs and Seeds
7.4 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
8.2 ROLE OF THE WHOLESALERS / DISTRIBUTORS
8.3 DISTRIBUTION SHARES
8.3.1 Garden Centres
8.3.2 DIY Multiples
8.3.3 Builders Merchants
8.3.4 Internet, Mail Order and Catalogue Stores
8.3.5 Other Channels
The domestic landscaping materials market was worth an estimated £919 million in 2011 at manufacturers selling prices. The market as a whole has been negatively impacted by the general effects of the downturn, and in particular by the difficult housebuilding and house moving markets and by restrained consumer spending. Positive underlying drivers for the market focus around several key themes, including:- ‘improve not move’, interest in ‘grow your own’ and the garden as an extension of living space.
The weather is a key factor in this market. Mild weather can encourage sales of plants, bulbs and seeds, and extend the period during which construction projects can take place in the garden. Poor weather can result in a boost to sales of products like fencing, for example, where replacement is required because of storm damage. The core of the market remains stable. Whilst larger projects such as installing garden buildings have seen reduced sales during the recession, the plants, bulbs, and seeds sectors have prospered. These are non-essentials, but they are low cost and regarded as affordable products by many, even in the downturn.
Decking and landscaping materials is a fragmented market consisting of a very wide range of products distributed via a range of distribution channels. Key products are paving & walling (19%), fencing/trellis & garden structures (8%), decking (4%), aggregates (4%), pots & planters (10%), water features & decorative products (6%), nursery stock & bedding plants (38%) and bulbs & seeds (9%). The decking market is mature and stable. The bulk of decking installations are wood, though some other niche materials exist in this market. Most of the wooden decking in the market is made of softwood boards.
The paving and walling sector has been hit hard in the difficult economic conditions prevailing in 2009-2011. The market, whilst restrained by the difficult housing sector, has seen a wide range of new products incorporating drainage features alongside hard standing becoming available on the market in response to new planning rules introduced in 2008.
The market for pots and planters has been maintained by continued interest in ‘grow your own’, based on a solid existing gardening market. This is a highly competitive sector, reflecting a combination of a fragmented product range and many low cost imports.
Key distribution channels for domestic landscaping materials are Garden Centres, DIY multiples and Builders Merchants – though merchants are not involved in the sale of soft landscaping products or most garden decoration products. Consolidation in the distribution sector is continuing with a number of developments since the last edition of this report.
The internet has been gaining share as a distribution channel across many markets, offering consumers perceived greater value for money and the convenience of shopping from home. Mail order is a well established channel for bulbs, seeds and plants. This channel – currently offering order facilities by post, phone and internet – is likely to remain a strong channel among more serious gardeners.
Given the current macro economic climate in late-2011/early 2012, forecasting future market performance is extremely difficult at this time due to uncertainty over the speed and timing of recovery from the downturn. The Autumn 2011 Statement has seen downward revisions to growth prospects in 2011-2012, resulting in higher debt levels and further cutbacks in spending – though higher infrastructure spending will result in a boost for some sectors of the non-domestic landscaping market.
- AVS Fencing Supplies
- Barton Grange
- Blue Diamond
- Bouchier Fencing
- Dobbies Garden Centres
- Feature DECO
- Forest Garden
- Garden & Leisure Group
- Garden Direct
- Gardening Direct
- Golden Acres
- Grange Fencing
- Haskins Garden Centres
- Hillier Garden Centres
- Hillview Group
- Home Hardware Southwest
- Honeysuckle Bottom Sawmill
- Hutton Garden Products
- J Parker
- Jacksons Fencing
- Klondyke Garden Centres
- La Hacienda
- Maidenhead Aquatics
- Mr Fothergills
- OA Taylors & Sons
- OAL (Oasis
- Lotus) Water Garden Products
- Otter Nurseries
- Outdoor Life Group
- Outland Stone
- Rowlinson Garden Products
- Smart Solar Inc
- Solus Garden & Leisure
- Somerlap Forest Products
- Stax Trade Centres
- Stewart Plastics
- Suttons Seeds
- The Garden Centre Group
- The Stoneballs Company
- The World of Water Group
- Thumbs Up
- Travis Perkins
- Trident Water Gardens
- Van Hage
- Webbs Garden Centres
- Westland Horticulture
- Willowstone Garden Products
- Winchester Growers