• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Life Insurance Outlook 2002: Stable Despite Declining Asset Quality and Critical Earnings Pressures Dec 01
Standard & Poors, December 2001
For 2002, Standard & Poor's has revised its outlook on the U.S. life insurance industry to stable from negative. Industry performance in 2001 reflected general stability based on strong operating fundamentals and is expected to follow a similar trend in 2002. Overall strengths include extremely strong capitalization, very strong business position, strong operating performance, high-quality investment portfolios, and the general stability of need- and protection-based products. In addition, the industry as a whole has responded well to capital pressures. Companies are improving deployment of capital with reinsurance, they are increasing earnings through the use of new technologies and better distribution techniques. However, the industry's strengths are partially offset by the numerous challenges it faces, including continued deterioration of asset quality,...
Standard and Poors RatingsXpress Credit Research provides in-depth coverage of international corporates, financial institutions, insurance companies, utilities, sovereigns and structured finance programs. RatingsXpress Credit Research lets users determine the credit rating of holdings and identify key factors underlying an issuer's creditworthiness, distinguishes the different risk exposures for new and existing deals, and provides an understanding of how their analysts interpret key regulatory, political and environmental events and their economic impact.
Research Type: Commentary
Criteria articles describe the thought process and methodology Standard & Poor's analysts use in determining ratings. These commentary pieces discuss both the quantitative (economic and financial) and qualitative (business analysis and caliber of management) aspects of the analysis, as well as legal issues.
- SunAmerica Financial Group Inc.
- Lincoln National Corp.
- Protective Life Corp.
- Torchmark Corp.
- John Hancock Life Insurance Co.
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Co.
- MONY Life Insurance Co.
- Protective Life Insurance Co.
- Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada
- Principal Life Insurance Co.
- Fidelity & Guaranty Life Insurance Co.
- Hartford Financial Services Group Inc.
- Lincoln National Life Insurance Co.
- First Variable Life Insurance Co.
- Inter-State Assurance Co.
- Irish Life Assurance PLC
- Phoenix Life Insurance Co.
- RiverSource Life Insurance Co.
- American General Assurance Co.
- John Hancock Group
- Jefferson-Pilot Corp.
- Nationwide Financial Services Inc.
- MONY Group Inc.
- MetLife Inc.
- John Hancock Financial Services Inc.
- The Hanover Insurance Group Inc.
- Guardian Life Insurance Co. of America
- Keyport Life Insurance Co.
- Jefferson-Pilot Life Insurance Co.